• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does toe-in mean?

What do you mean by toe in?

• Total voters

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1000024851.jpg

I think people may have different interpretations of the term "toe in".

1) It is relative to the angle where speakers point directly at the main listening position. So toe in means that imagined rays normal to the speaker baffle would cross infront of the listener.

2) It is relative to the back wall. So toe in means anything that angles the speakers slightly towards the listener (the imagined normal rays could still cross behind the listener).

Edit: Option 2) included the implicit assumtion that the speakers are aligned to a wall but they could be across a corner instead, therefore added another option. (Can't remove the option from the poll unfortunately).

3) Relative to the speaker axes being parallel. So toe in means angling the speakers towards the listener (the imagined normal rays could still cross behind the listener).

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back wall - but normally I would expect "the beams" to cross at MLP.

However, my current speakers (Dali Oberon 5) are stated by the manufacturer not to require toe in. I still have them set in for 50% toe in (aprox half the angle required for the straight line to meet at MLP.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think #2 is the more conventional interpretation.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toe-in means the acoustic axis axis of both speakers are not parallel but turned in to some extend to each other.
According to the definition provided above, that means relative to the back wall.

OP
M

-Matt-

If it is #2 (relative to back wall) then wouldn't toe out mean that the beams were actually pointing towards the side walls?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So according to definition #2, toe-out is pointing your speakers away from the MLP. This is why I might hesitate to answer this, because AFAIK I've never seen speakers toed-out like that. But when it comes to toe-in I always though it was relative to the back wall. So which is it?

Bleib

Major Contributor
But when it comes to toe-in I always though it was relative to the back wall. So which is it?
Depends on the speaker? My Q10 are meant to be very close to the back wall and toed in just so that I see the outer sides of the speakers. This gives the biggest sweetspot
Very few speakers have decent manuals though

MRC01

Major Contributor
The manual for my Magnepan 3.6/R says to angle the speakers so the tweeters are slightly further away from your head than the main panels. The most common configuration is tweeters on the outside, which puts them as "toed in" by definition 2 yet "toed out" by definition 1. IME, definition 2 is the standard so I call it "toed in". When you casually observe the room the speakers are obviously "toed in" but when you sit in the listener position you might notice the triangle they form meets behind you, making them "toed out" relatively speaking.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1) It is relative to the angle where speakers point directly at the main listening position. So toe in means that imagined rays normal to the speaker baffle would cross infront of the listener

2) It is relative to the back wall. So toe in means anything that angles the speakers slightly towards the listener (the imagined normal rays could still cross behind the listener).
Mostly the latter to me.

Speakers are "toe in" to the center, instead of being parallel to each other. This, regardless of the back wall, or the LP.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Story of my life.
Hay , ASR is ment to be all about handing out good advice.. , just going straight in can cause issues, new wife's and expensive bills .

Nothing more sad than ' I lost the hifi in the divorce ' , now there's Bob down the road listening to your hifi and ..., ...

OP
M

-Matt-

...toed in just so that I see the outer sides of the speakers.

This is what I've pretty much always done and it means that the beams would cross slightly infront of the listener (cross-firing).

If we use relative to MLP then the term toe out is occasionally useful, otherwise, not so much.

Toe-in means the acoustic axis axis of both speakers are not parallel but turned in to some extend to each other.
Ahh, good point, my question has an assumption that speakers are parallel to the back wall and in some cases they may be across a corner for example.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? It refers to the position of the speakers relative to each other.
But the two definitions are back wall (toe in means any angle towards each other) or MLP (toe in means angle greater than pointing at MLP)

Top Bottom