• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A millennial's rant on classical music

Robin L

Master Contributor
Mahler’s music is very dynamic, far more than most record companies are prepared to release to the public for use on normal playback kit, unfortunately, so every recording I know is compressed to an extent, though nowhere near modern pop.

One of the joys of it is one moment a vast orchestra is playing and the next just one instrument.
I've got the SACDs of Mahler's 3rd symphony with Ricardo Chailly directing the Concertgebouw. Widest dynamic range of anything in my collection, too wide to listen to unless I'm sitting on top of the volume control.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
I spent a year where I played this every day. It was part of the same sessions where Ferrier recorded Das Lied von der Erde:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recorded Mahler's 2nd Symphony at a classical music festival more than a decade ago using a multi track interface and around eight DPA microphones (I don't recall exactly how many were used).

It was the only time I allowed a recording to clip on a 24-bit interface.

Fortunately for me, what pushed it into digital clipping was a bass drum; the artifact was barely audible to me and would almost certainly not have been noticed by any ordinary listener.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Small ensemble works often sound more convincing - easier to record and less demanding of the playback system. Sonatas, piano trios, quartets, sextets, etc.
Yup. Always featured in audio shows/demos.

The (highly subjective) impression of...congestion? (to grab a word)...on large-scale orchestral music has always been an issue in my experience. I will say, I like the way my Harbeths sound for smaller-scale music, but my Revels (f228be) are far better for an orchestra sounding like it is live. They are in a larger and more reflective room, though.

There's a fair amount of dynamic range in large-scale orchestral music, of course. Compression may be one issue.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recorded Mahler's 2nd Symphony at a classical music festival more than a decade ago using a multi track interface and around eight DPA microphones (I don't recall exactly how many were used).

It was the only time I allowed a recording to clip on a 24-bit interface.

Fortunately for me, what pushed it into digital clipping was a bass drum; the artifact was barely audible to me and would almost certainly not have been noticed by any ordinary listener.
I bet the hammer strike in the 6th symphony would do it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Small ensemble works often sound more convincing - easier to record and less demanding of the playback system. Sonatas, piano trios, quartets, sextets, etc.

The best recordings of Mahler's symphonies that I have heard are on Channel Classics with Budapest & Fischer.
I think I am a newfound aficionado of Maher classical music. :D

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mahler’s music is very dynamic, far more than most record companies are prepared to release to the public for use on normal playback kit, unfortunately, so every recording I know is compressed to an extent, though nowhere near modern pop.

Matthew Herbert -in Deutsche Grammophon's "Recomposed" series- seems to cheekily poke a little bit of fun in his interpretation of Mahler's unfinished Symphonie Nr 10... don't be tempted to turn the volume up all the way during the many very quiet elements... :) On top of it, he does stuff like recording parts of it from inside a coffin...

That said, I prefer Simon Rattle's more temperate "classical" version...
81+VN-YO6XL._SL1425_.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet the hammer strike in the 6th symphony would do it.

That was awesome! The look on the hammer musician's face and all the musicians really going for it was very cool.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the hammer has caused clipping on commerical recordings of this piece, including one recorded while I was in the audience!
After I wake up and get my Chinese Combo C lunch @ the mall I'll be googling Maher a bit and I really want to find a version with the full concert with the hammer musician.

MRC01

Major Contributor
After I wake up and get my Chinese Combo C lunch @ the mall I'll be googling Maher a bit and I really want to find a version with the full concert with the hammer musician.
If you're digging into Mahler's 6th, the liner notes from the Channel Classics recording have some interesting history & notes from the director, who among other things, ponders how many hammer strikes it should have.

Attachments

• 000119561.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 27

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IC. That piece that I listened to is testament of the extreme dynamics and I did not sense compression as it did sound very good in the terms of instruments separation.

I am now very interested in what it would sound like on as for an example some monster vintage JBL home speakers that have vast dynamic range and efficiency as well as prodigious amounts of low end. The room filling aspect of that listening would be I suspect amazing and less stressful that Sennheiser headphones.

+1 to everything Frank said. And now I have Mahler’s 5th banging away in my head, and will until I listen to it two or three times.

I heard that work played live in Austin by the Chicago Symphony while on tour. This was back when Bud Herseth played the opening trumpet solo and Arnold Jacobs was still in the tuba chair, so we’re talking middle 80’s.

The CSO had drama that day. The truck that was carrying the larger instruments crashed and overturned on Interstate 10 in West Texas and many instruments were damaged or destroyed. The concert was delayed for two hours while they scrambled to find instruments locally they could borrow. Then, the replacement trucks arrived with the damaged instruments and they spent another hour letting the musicians look them over.

Fortunately, Mr. Jacobs’s York tuba was in a sturdy flight case and was undamaged.

The concert started well after 10 PM. But the delay meant I got to hear Jake instead of his understudy using a borrowed instrument.

The performance was in what was then known as the Performing Arts Center at the University of Texas at Austin. Sitting in front of me in the audience was the tuba professor there who also played in the Austin Symphony, whose wife at the time was a work colleague and therefore they were close acquaintances.

I thought the 3000-seat room too big for orchestral music and a bit dead-sounding, based on the Austin Symphony performances I had heard there.

I was wrong. The CSO woke that room up! The dynamics of the music were dominating. After the concert, I resisted the temptation to announce that perhaps it wasn’t the room after all. :) (Tuba players try not to be like trumpet players.)

It takes more than good recording to capture the dynamics of Mahler. It takes an orchestra with the tonal breadth. Any orchestra can play loud, and most can play soft. But playing loudly without sounding edgy and strained isn’t so common. And mastering everything in between in a smooth continuum to be summoned at will separates the great orchestras from the merely good.

But maybe the story will explain my penchant for big amps and speakers that can play loud. It’s not rock or pop driving those requirements.

Rick “now motivated to experiment again with stacked Advents and a pair of amps in the secondary listening room” Denney

Sokel

Master Contributor
Wow!
Never saw this thread before and I have to admit (with a little guilt) that I smiled reading the OP,opening post.
As you all may know,classical is my passion so take my post with a pinch (or a truckload) of salt.

There's not much to say but (wait for it) an analogy.
No kid likes fish.We learn to appreciate it as we grow older.

My feeling is that the dear OP will end up more passionate than me with classical as he grows,his nice background will help too.
It's just no his time yet :)

Classical is the Mother.

(about feeling and excitement without tricks,huge DR and aligning performances to artists,even with plays played million of times,this,even if you hate vocalists : )

(one would thought that Lacrimoza played even by metal bands have little to give these days.Yet again Tree of Life would not be the masterpiece that it is without Elżbieta's universal,timeless performance under Preisner's magic : )

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're digging into Mahler's 6th, the liner notes from the Channel Classics recording have some interesting history & notes from the director, who among other things, ponders how many hammer strikes it should have.
Very nice! Thank you. I have the PDF opened and am looking forward to a comfy afternoon reading this and checking out Mahler's music.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like Mahler, try Sibelius and Stravinsky as extensions. BIS has some great Sibelius symphony recordings. #1 is a good place to start.

In a more obscure vein try Bantock’s Celtic Symphony.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But you probably want to avoid the 6th, the 9th and Das Lied von der Erde. Interesting, Das Lied von der Erde begins with the drinking song of Earth's sorrow.
There's no way I will avoid hearing Rattle and the Bavarian RSO perform the 6th Symphony in NYC in May.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The best recordings of Mahler's symphonies that I have heard are on Channel Classics with Budapest & Fischer.
Very well recorded and quite competitive in terms of performance.

I also love the Abbado/Lucerne series on BluRay discs. Among the few classical video concerts I enjoy.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. I'd rather listen to poorly recorded classical music than well recorded _____________ (fill in the blank).
I am just starting to realize that some of my music that I have used and depended upon for decades is not very good. So it's time to expand my frontiers and get something wholesome and new.

Top Bottom