• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's look at your advertisement of just one product. From your website.

“The new Purple Fuse surpasses our Orange Fuse with technology initially developed for our state-of-the-art SRX Series cables. In fact, before two last-minute breakthrough SRX technologies, we could not better the Orange Fuse with its impossible combination of detail and rich harmonic musicality. As a result, we were set to forgo a new fuse introduction for 2022 as we could not build anything better sounding than Orange despite two years of trying. It was not until we finalized two new technologies, namely a three-stage long duration high voltage conditioning process and a brand new UEF compound featuring Graphene, that we were able to beat the Orange Fuse significantly. Together these new technologies create a larger soundstage with better image focus and higher resolution from a perceived lowering of the noise floor. Of all the fuse generations and refinements we have pioneered over the past decade, the new Purple Fuses are by far our best sounding and take the single greatest leap in performance over previous generations. All aspects of subjective sound quality get enhanced, including natural sound where instruments and vocals sound inherently right, dynamics, low-level detail, high-frequency extension, and smoothness all take a massive leap forward."

Pretty much reads as a gullibility test, doesn't it? It's hard to imagine someone taking it seriously. The language reminds me so much of...

Andysu

Major Contributor
8p3tx4.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
just use christmas balls £12.99 and you get bundles and they come in many colours , just hot glue to the walls for cheap , xmastron upgrade

s-l1600.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What difference does the plaid jacket make particularly?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What difference does the plaid jacket make particularly?

From experience I associate plaid jackets with bad car sales people or untrustworthy sales people in general. It seems to be the same with snake oil audio sellers.

No offense meant to trustworthy people who like plaid jackets. :oops:

Edited to add: At my software company which sold products to banks, I had a strict rule that the sales people were not allowed to wear plaid jackets.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You know... leafing through the last few pages as I quaff my morning joe, I am struck by an Important Thought.
It's 2024.
We need innovative new companies to dedicate themselves to identifying new sources of snake oil with lower carbon footprints.
This could be existential.

:cool:

CapMan

Major Contributor
You know... leafing through the last few pages as I quaff my morning joe, I am struck by an Important Thought.
It's 2024.
We need innovative new companies to dedicate themselves to identifying new sources of snake oil with lower carbon footprints.
This could be existential.

:cool:
Surprised nobody has brought out an audiophile brain training book/dvd or offered audiophile hypnosis …

J.M. Noble

im_gumby

I have a hard time processing a product like this as anything but an obscenity:

Uhmmm... Ok.
So if you look at the MIT box... you see the inventor's name.
He holds an interesting patent : https://patents.justia.com/patent/7242780

Makes me have to ask...
What impacts the quality of sound thru a cable?
Material?
Gauge?
Shielding?
Connectors?

And then look at this 'box' and his patent.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So much for 1 or 2 million-dollar systems. How about a $5 million system, at AXPONA. Probably still needs subwoofers. The link to the speaker/amp manufacturer has no info. The Auralic streamer/DAC/clock is 'only' ~$16K of the total. Is that really > $2 million for paint... :facepalm:

4millionpounds.png

Last edited:

im_gumby

So much for 1 or 2 million-dollar systems. How about a $5 million system, at AXPONA. Probably still needs subwoofers. The link to the speaker/amp manufacturer has no info. The Auralic streamer/DAC/clock is 'only' ~$16K of the total. :facepalm:

View attachment 368034
I saw it. Wasn't impressed.
However not sure why you call this a 'snake oil' system.
There is a lot in the room.
As you point out the system without the lacquer finish was 1.7m.
The finish took a lot of man hours to do.

So its real not smoke and mirrors.

Would I buy it if I could afford it?
Nope.
Would rather have a smaller, nicer sounding system for a lot less.

Top Bottom