• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters

virtua

The Tangzu Wan 'Er and Salnotes Zero 1 are both occasionally available on Aliexpress for $9 shipped. Like a fool I paid $12.50 for my Zeros.
It's incredible when you think about it. It really is a great time to be an audio enthusiast right now when we can pay single digit cash for this level of sound, shipped to our doors.

DanTheMan

The Tangzu Wan 'Er and Salnotes Zero 1 are both occasionally available on Aliexpress for $9 shipped. Like a fool I paid $12.50 for my Zeros.
I just got the KZ ZVX for $6 shipped to California. They sound excellent and seem well made. The cable isn't the greatest but I liked the tips that came with mine, and I could have lived with the stock cable. Strangely, some friends of mine ordered them as well and got different tips and a set that I gave to my nephew had different tips in the package as well...

Tio

I have the silver kz castor (1st IEM) and 7hz zero 2 (2nd IEM). In my opinion, zero 2 is the better one. Zero 2 has better bass and overall sound is more clear.

I use the foam tip for kz castor and the red tip for zero 2. For the price in my place, the zero 2 is around 30% - 40% more expensive than kz castor.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Updated the review with "Silver" addition and higher price for that ($22 on Amazon).

Forgot to add the Specs. So here they are:

IMG_0665.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Corvuscorone

I have about 20 IEMs under 40 euros, and half a dozen of them are KZ or CCA brands. Based on my experiences, I don't value the KZ brand very much. In my opinion, among IEMs under 40 euros, the Simgot EW 200 is the best. It has the best resolution, good tuning, stylish metal casing and they are comfortable to wear.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered a pair just to see what all the fuss is about.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That treble response tho';)

PenguinMusic

Two years ago:

"Wow, I can't believe we can get this level of performance from a $50 IEM"

One year ago:

"Wow, I can't believe we can get this level of performance from a $25 IEM"

Today:

"Wow, I can't believe we can get this level of performance from a $16 IEM"

So next year, we can expect a $9 IEM that outperforms many ~$1,000 models?
Hi,

Yes... That is true. But the question still remains : does FR tell the whole story ?

From my own experience, I'd say that it does not...

Regards.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This seems weird and odd for an IEM. I’m no IEM fanatic but, the very low sensitivity means it can’t be run by your phone and if you have a headphone amp you aren’t going to buy this.
I would not call 114dB/V low sensitive. It is for an IEM, but consider that noise floor usually isn't much of a problem, no need to EQ in moar bassss.
To reach 120dB SPL (in the bass) one only needs 1V.
Perfectly usable from a phone, even on a E.U. phone it will get loud enough.
The high impedance means that output stages have it easy and don't need to deliver much current so are low in distortion.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I guess stocking drivers vertically cause distorsion problem for uper (smaller 200 Hz and up) one. They could have used better drivers and bigger one for bass, also crossover should be lower 120~130 Hz so still room for improvement. Really hard to complain for peanuts price and that they will probably get epitet of best tuned value oriented IEM's ever made (and keep it at least for some time).
Sensitivity is quoted 105 dB tested model and 103 for bass future boosted one (impedance is also different so probably are drivers also) they didn't state in what but I guess it's per V. In other words they are adopted to be driven with 2V unbalanced dongle or other kind of DAC which I guess is also a good thing (today you have plenty of inexpensive very good performing ones based on CS43131 that give 2V out).
kz-castor-08-1~2.jpg

Praises to Amir for updating target IEM reference.

PenguinMusic

Similar to calibrated monitors being too bright or lifeless to some, accurate might not be "wow" to everyone's ears.
Hi,

I hear you. But that is not what I meant :)
Headphones that are similarly calibrated do not sound the same at all to my ears.
I will not use words like "clarity" or "level of details" as I probably will get flamed for those, but that is what I noticed.
Listening to a Symphonic work, some headphone, even offering the same "toanlity" will reveal a lot of details, when others will just give your ears some mud to feed...
But as I said : that may be totally subjective... and totally non scientific :cool:
So I make no claims : just a personal statement.

Regards.

MacClintock

Hi,

I hear you. But that is not what I meant :)
Headphones that are similarly calibrated do not sound the same at all to my ears.
I will not use words like "clarity" or "level of details" as I probably will get flamed for those, but that is what I noticed.
Listening to a Symphonic work, some headphone, even offering the same "toanlity" will reveal a lot of details, when others will just give your ears some mud to feed...
But as I said : that may be totally subjective... and totally non scientific :cool:
So I make no claims : just a personal statement.

Regards.
For headphones there are other variables, usually refered to as spatial qualities, like soundstage and imaging, that play a role and make for a different sound, even when the frequency response would be the same. For IEMs these are almost non-existent or at least almost identical for all of them, so yes, I would claim that here FR is all that matters for sound (granting a good fit and seal and low distortion).

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange about the distortion around 1kHz, not something you normally see as problem areas in headphones or IEM's, so seems a bit unnecessary. Interesting ideas around the DIP switches to tune the product. There's a lot going on there for just $20! Hard to knock it for $20, but we can see it's not perfect, but can't be harsh with it!

PenguinMusic

For headphones there are other variables, usually refered to as spatial qualities, like soundstage and imaging, that play a role and make for a different sound, even when the frequency response would be the same. For IEMs these are almost non-existent or at least almost identical for all of them, so yes, I would claim that here FR is all that matters for sound (granting a good fit and seal and low distortion).
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as I am concerned, I must say that I never managed to get used to IEM. I always found that, when they seal in the ear, I can't hear the outside world anymore (not that bad, if you consider what it has to say and only talks war and football) but I hear all my inner noises : I hear my own breath, my throat rattling, my belly gurgling... Not super "Hi-Fi" I assume.
But that is, again, purely personal and maybe I should try some of those IEM's again given the high praise they get all around...

Regards.

MacClintock

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as I am concerned, I must say that I never managed to get used to IEM. I always found that, when they seal in the ear, I can't hear the outside world anymore (not that bad, if you consider what it has to say and only talks war and football) but I hear all my inner noises : I hear my own breath, my throat rattling, my belly gurgling... Not super "Hi-Fi" I assume.
But that is, again, purely personal and maybe I should try some of those IEM's again given the high praise they get all around...

Regards.
Maybe try some, let's say, medium seal. So not pushing the IEM too hard into the ear, just that they are closing every opening between the tip and the ear-hole. Also select the right style and size of the tip, as these will influence the fit significantly. So there are several things to try.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad frequency response, high distortion, bad ergonomics, horrible brand reputation... I don't understand how this can be a recommendation from ASR. I suspect a potato will get a recommendation if it claims to be compliant to Harman target. My suggestion, get yourself a JBL Endurance Run 2 for $19.95 delivered and avoid this potato.

Last edited:
Top Bottom