• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a hot potato, which means you pass it.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe try some, let's say, medium seal. So not pushing the IEM too hard into the ear, just that they are closing every opening between the tip and the ear-hole. Also select the right style and size of the tip, as these will influence the fit significantly. So there are several things to try.
Hi,

I'll try that with the Devialtet Gemini 2 I happen to buy some time ago and never got used to so they're just collecting dust on a shelve :-(
Time to de-dust them. Or give them to my daughter :)

Regards.

PenguinMusic

I find Harman pina gain too much for iem. I prefer a lesser, smoother pina.

Guys, remember that Harman is a preference, it is not objective data, it is subjective.
Hi,

Perfrectly agreed.

BUT : the target is a good basis to EQ your heaphones or IEM nevertheless.
Unless of course, you're perfectly satisfied with the sound of the thing right out of the box.
I can happen... I am happy I lived long enough to witneess it :)

Regards.

mc.god

Bad frequency response, high distortion, bad ergonomics, horrible brand reputation... I don't understand how this can be a recommendation from ASR. I suspect a potato will get a recommendation if it claims to be compliant to Harman target. My suggestion, get yourself a JBL Endurance Run 2 for $19.95 delivered and avoid this potato.
Add that they continue to stick to 0.75 mm connectors when most of other good iems you already might have are 0.78, so you can't even easily swap cable if you need something different (for example if you need straight connectors because you can't get good fitting with that damned L shaped angled connectors).
Not for me by any means.

oleg87

Looks way too hot in the pinna gain region IMO - and that's the *low* setting? In the present sea of really good budget IEMs I really don't know why I'd get one that has high distortion and is sensitive to output impedance.

Leiker535

Strange about the distortion around 1kHz, not something you normally see as problem areas in headphones or IEM's,
You see it happening with BAs in iems. The blessing 2 here showed a similar behavior, albeit with better numbers. What I find weird is that they could mess up that with a dual DD design, which offer much more leeway than BAs concerning strain on the driver... Maybe something to due with their crossover?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad frequency response, high distortion, bad ergonomics, horrible brand reputation... I don't understand how this can be a recommendation from ASR. I suspect a potato will get a recommendation if it claims to be compliant to Harman target. My suggestion, get yourself a JBL Endurance Run 2 for $19.95 delivered and avoid this potato.
Would be good to get that one measured by Amir!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes... That is true. But the question still remains : does FR tell the whole story ?
It depends on what you mean by FR and by "whole story" in my understanding.

FR at your ear drum and/or perceived by your brain, plus maybe some phase/timing characteristics can fully explain your experience with the headphone most likely. FR measured by a measurement rig does not. Unless by "whole story" you mean "would most people like this headphone" - in that case FR measured by a rig has a strong correlation to the "whole story".

USER

Forum Donor
Would be good to get that one measured by Amir!
I have a pair that I can ship out to Amir if he wants them. But in all likelihood only the impedance measurements will add insight to info already out there. Sean Olive measured them with the same GRAS 45CA-10 system as Amir's. My own results pretty much match his, which shows great manufacturing consistency.

graph (65).png
graph (46).png

My distortion measurements aren't precise but they should be good enough to show issues. They look OK to me at 94 dB (450Hz).
distortion.jpg

Again, if Amir wants to measure them, I can ship them out ASAP.

MacClintock

I have a pair that I can ship out to Amir if he wants them. But in all likelihood only the impedance measurements will add insight to info already out there. Sean Olive measured them with the same GRAS 45CA-10 system as Amir's. My own results pretty much match his, which shows great manufacturing consistency.

View attachment 368332View attachment 368334
My distortion measurements aren't precise but they should be good enough to show issues. They look OK to me at 94 dB (450Hz).
View attachment 368335

Again, if Amir wants to measure them, I can ship them out ASAP.
It's funny, the tweet is from 6 months ago, but time in the IEM market goes so fast, I already consider them not competetive. It looks like "muddy" upper bass / lower midrange and bit spiky treble.

LIΟN

1714773686.jpg

I have a different model from the same company (for toys). KZ-Krila
It's not bad. The fit is fine. But I don't really use it after a few tests because I felt the pressure on my ear.
There is one that I measured with 711clone.

1.png

3.png

dzerig

Seems like a great value at $22, however with so much better competition at the same price point feels like a pass.

That said, I have 5 pairs at this price point, Amir keeps reviewing so many.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@solderdude Have you tested the Shure SE-846? I am wondering how "consumer" in-ear'phones compare to "pro" IEMs in overall response.

Do they follow this so-called Harman Curve or are they more revealing and "flatter"? Is the Harman Curve actually creating its own circle of confusion (perform/produce/listen)?

If an IEM like the Shure below, helps a producer create a mix that translates well to "other systems", that means it is a neutral monitoring IEM and sounds good on loudspeakers and headphones and in a live situation. But we know headphones that follow the Harman-curve are far from neutral or accurate.

Where does that leave us?

1715158707829.png

Top Bottom