• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

200th Anniversary of Beethoven's 9th

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
No need to delete your post. There was no malice nor offense.. as a matter of fact, I posted to underline that taken our point of views were the same would the post be viewed n its entirety ....
For some odd reasons, I never pause to realize that the 9th is "only" 200 years old... :)

Will have a listen today.. Any favorite?

Peace.

My favorite (so far) is Toscanini. I love it! I would like to point out, however, that the 9th is not my favorite symphony by Beethoven. My favorite is the 7th. Therefore I haven't searched for as many examples of the 9th as I have the 7th. That's why I said "... so far ... ". :)

Jim

Anton D

Major Contributor
I think the 200th anniversary is a wonderful opportunity for ASR members to listen to it. EVERYBODY needs to hear the 9th from start to finish at least once in their life.
Fans of all types of music!

You are so right and that's a great thought!

nerdstrike

Well, the Toscanini disappoints me a bit. It's very clean and surprisingly listenable for the age of recording, which is an achievement given the size of the ensembl. I fear it puts a yoke of control on all involved, and despite that there are still parts where sections come unstuck from the desired tempo. :shrug:

Can't really double-blind an hour long piece of music though can we! I wonder if I can find a recording that resonates more with me?

Casper

Speaking of rewriting music…my favorite, possibly more for personal reasons than because of performance or recording quality, is the “Ode an der Freiheit” conducted by Bernstein on Xmas 1989 with a bespoke ensemble of “Ossis” and “Wessis” to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I agree 100%. When the chorus sings Freiheit! it gives me chills.

Top Bottom