• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A-Weighted Noise Ordinance

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I was pretty bored and I decided to look up Boston's noise ordinance and I was struck by an apparent quasi-loophole.

16-26.1(c)(1) "Unreasonable or excessive noise shall mean noise measured in excess of 50 dBa between the hours of 11:00 p.m.. and 7:00 a.m.., or in excess of 70 dBa at all other hours"

12-26.1(a) "dBa shall mean A-weighted sound level in decibels, as measured by a general purpose sound level meter complying with the provisions of the American National Standard Institute, "Specifications for Sound Level Meter (ANSI SIR 19711)", properly calibrated, and operated on the "A" weighting network"

400px-Acoustic_weighting_curves_%281%29.svg.png

This seems to mean that 95dB SPL at 20hz is allowed any time of day, and 115dB SPL at 20hz is totally fine between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom