• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

loddie88

Would ART struggle with using a phantom center setup? Been trying to wrap my head around how it would handle support when the front L&R are both playing the same mono signal (the center).

lessthanjoey

Would ART struggle with using a phantom center setup? Been trying to wrap my head around how it would handle support when the front L&R are both playing the same mono signal (the center).
If it's bass it's not localizable anyway. To the degree it's at the upper end of that range I think it still works fine, they just have modifications to try to cancel room effects.

Daka

It’s still two channels playing content doesn’t matter what content works the same. Only difference is you losing LR that usually are capable and would support ART and in phantom center setup LR are loaded with C so last thing you would want them to do is to support cancellation as well.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would estimate they would just support the left and right speaker as usual. It's only <150Hz, there will be a lot of mono content anyways there.

virusinho

Good afternoon everyone! Does anyone have any information about the release of ART on Denon\Marantz?

@TimoJ Bro! I'm interested in an off-topic question. Alas, I don't know the configuration of your room, but the question concerns the audibility of low frequencies in rooms adjacent to a home theater. How different is the sound pressure emanating from the listening room when the ART is on and when it is off? Is it possible that turning the ART on increases the sound pressure outside the listening room? Unfortunately, I don't have a separate room for home theater, and a full room inside the room is impractical in my case, so I'm worried about not hurting the neighbors more because of the bass :)

TimoJ

@TimoJ Bro! I'm interested in an off-topic question. Alas, I don't know the configuration of your room, but the question concerns the audibility of low frequencies in rooms adjacent to a home theater. How different is the sound pressure emanating from the listening room when the ART is on and when it is off? Is it possible that turning the ART on increases the sound pressure outside the listening room? Unfortunately, I don't have a separate room for home theater, and a full room inside the room is impractical in my case, so I'm worried about not hurting the neighbors more because of the bass :)
Sorry, I haven't properly compared and currently my subwoofers are not operational (I'm painting their diy cabinets) so can't test right now.
But just based on "feeling", ART may actually reduce bass outside listening room/area.

IamJF

When the "chancellation" from ART works it really should reduce outside SPL - but I don't think it's a lot. But I see no reason that it would increase it.
Simply EQ to flat already reduces outside noise cause when you fight those +15db room resonances these can't disturb the neighbourhood as much.

tjcinnamon

When the "chancellation" from ART works it really should reduce outside SPL - but I don't think it's a lot. But I see no reason that it would increase it.
Simply EQ to flat already reduces outside noise cause when you fight those +15db room resonances these can't disturb the neighbourhood as much.
I think you only remove room resonances from the measured when flattening at the measured position, not from the entire room. If there is a build up by some ventilation or a non-solid core door it will travel.

I think you’d want nulls by those weak points.

Last edited:

IamJF

The main room resonances are pretty stable around the walls and you find them through the room.
Reducing them is for sure a benefit - around walls would be the weak points.

But every calibration system should be able to do that. Not sure if ARTs chancellation gives a significant benefit here.

Top Bottom