• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

mglobe

Forum Donor
Specific to the question of finally "getting" a band, best example for me would be Pearl Jam. Seeing them live brought real appreciation for their skills. Their new record, Dark Matter may be their best work yet.

I also wanted to mention the recurrent theme above of 20th century pop music being superior to recent artists; this prejudice is very poorly informed. There are so many great bands & artists making phenomenal recordings right now. I think many boomers and gen x guys have a lot of great music to learn & to "get".
I really don’t see a pattern in this thread of generational bias/favoritism. It’s certainly not something I’m interested in.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Every Dylan cover seems to be an improvement.
Dylan was a fan of Jerry Garcia's (many) Dylan covers. If you've not heard it, Garcia Plays Dylan is an excellent collection of 15 tracks over 2 CDs.

[Oddly, I don't see it on Tidal. Maybe another service might have it. Good thing I have my trusty hard copy CD.]

Edit: Found it on Tidal. Not sure where they have it hidden but it does turn up in a search.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Einsturzende Neubauten. Then again I purchased Tabala Rasa when I was very young and had more sensitive ears and wasn't use to actual hard music. Lyrics on this record are particurarly complex as well. Listened to the same album 6 months later and loved it.
I had a bit of a thing for Neue Deutsche Welle in the early 80s. I remember having (and probably still do) Die Haut's first couple of albums Schnelles Leben and Burning The Ice (mostly Nick Cave) which I were quite fond of. Can't say I've listened to them much since though. Or Nick Cave for that matter ...

The Berlin scene is (for me, who didn't live through it) an historical goldmine. I found I liked early Nick Cave and collaborators (a surprise as his later output didn't do it for me) and also enjoy recent suff by Bargeld (so, it was interesting to see where that came from).

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I really don’t see a pattern in this thread of generational bias/favoritism. It’s certainly not something I’m interested in.
Taylor Swift. She is the pop equivalent of hip hop. The every track sounds the same while all the fans care about are the lyrics describing the problems of young love.

Ya'll should get together for a drink and sort that out (as Texans, I mean). :)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I always liked weird electronic so dissonant sonics weren't a problem per se, but I didn't initially get emo/metalcore/post-hardcore (and 2010 screamo revival) but after getting first real job (and thus car) spent much time listening to baby sister's latest taste while in transit (dropping her at the train station near work, keep in mind that the stereo may have cost more than the car, and the boot was mostly filled with amp and sub).

Now bands like Amity Affliction, Asking Alexandria, Balance and Composure, Being as an Ocean, Bring Me The Horizon, La Dispute, Pianos Become the Teeth and Touché Amoré remain favourites. Fortunately they have generally developed artistically/creatively and remain interesting.

Last edited:

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
So maybe I'm still not a giant Fleetwood Mac fan, but am more of a Rumours fan.
They were fine for me as a (pre) teen, especially the Peter Green period, after all didn't he write Santana's greatest hit ? Christine McVie could sing a sad song (I'd rather go blind, IIRC), but, nah, not Rumours. I like the song, but find the album so-so.

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
I also wanted to mention the recurrent theme above of 20th century pop music being superior to recent artists; this prejudice is very poorly informed. There are so many great bands & artists making phenomenal recordings right now. I think many boomers and gen x guys have a lot of great music to learn & to "get".
I’d agree with that sentiment, especially from my boomer perspective. I’d say I have a long way to go. There was a great show on French and German TV (Arte) called “One Shot Not”, it was very eclectic, as you might have expected from Manu Katché, its presenter.

I picked up on some music that was completely beyond my Radar (Anna Calvi, Piers Faccini, etc). It also pulled in some minor legends, such as Ben Sidran (Nardis, anybody?).

Multicore

Major Contributor
The Berlin scene is (for me, who didn't live through it) an historical goldmine. I found I liked early Nick Cave and collaborators (a surprise as his later output didn't do it for me) and also enjoy recent suff by Bargeld (so, it was interesting to see where that came from).
Peter Brötzmann died last year.

We did a podcast episode about Einstürz about a year ago. Watching the film Halber Mench was very interesting from our perspective, knowing what an overt romantic Bargeld soon became.

Svet Angelov

I just didn't get Red Hot Chilly Peppers for the longest time. My wife then sparked my love for them when she played 3 of their albums in a row one day.

yeah a bit sugar-coated but I do have a sweet tooth!

MitchDylan

Long time lurker and first time poster.
To the person who asked "Is there any Dylan song you can dance to?", check out "Summer Days" from the album "Love and Theft" from 2001. In the early 2000's Bob played this song a lot at general admission shows (no seats- all standing) and the whole back of the GA section would be dancing and having a great old time. Bob's music contains multitudes.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They were fine for me as a (pre) teen, especially the Peter Green period, after all didn't he write Santana's greatest hit ? Christine McVie could sing a sad song (I'd rather go blind, IIRC), but, nah, not Rumours. I like the song, but find the album so-so.
Fleetwood Mac went down hill after Peter Green left. Bare Trees album was okay but I lost interest. Same with Led Zeppelin, loved the first album with some acoustic guitar and electric and then a slow decline with subsequent releases. Sorry to invert the thread; bands you liked that quickly disintegrated. ;)

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another one for me was Primus. I heard Claypools voice years ago and thought it was a joke against music. Now all I hear is one of the greatest bass guitarists of all time.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Peter Brötzmann died last year.

Missed that, I've caught up. For sure 82 is a decent run! I hadn't realised he was so utterly prolific tbh.

We did a podcast episode about Einstürz about a year ago. Watching the film Halber Mench was very interesting from our perspective, knowing what an overt romantic Bargeld soon became.

Great video, thank you. While the music (with ad hoc noise-making devices etc) has its debt to modernism, I'd say there are already (neo) romantic and expressionist motifs and urges in the visual and aural presentation and especially the performance (and no real traces of minimalism or structuralism by contrast unless I really missed it). Looking back—as I must—I find the non-instrumental sonic sources and visual chaos less exceptional (but no less delightful) than they may have seemed at the time? Anyway my favourite newer Bargeld material is his collaboration with Alva Noto as ANBB, which balances the romantic flourishes certainly (the lyrical and performative Grand Guignol still comes through however).

khensu

Sorry to invert the thread; bands you liked that quickly disintegrated. ;)
Yeah, this could be a thread of its own. Recent (well… in the past 20 years. Damn, where has the time gone?) bands with incredible debut albums that just lost it afterwards:

Airborne Toxic Event: IMO, one of the best debut albums I can think of. Oh, the pain, the angst, the energy. It was intoxicating. Their second album was meh. After that, I just don’t care.
Arctic Monkeys: Wow. A Certain Romance (the closing tune) is just fantastic. They’re still OK I suppose, but the fire on that first album was never recaptured.
The Killers: I can’t tell you how many times we listened to Hot Fuss when it came out. Everything else? <yawn>

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
Same with Led Zeppelin, loved the first album with some acoustic guitar and electric and then a slow decline with subsequent releases. Sorry to invert the thread; bands you liked that quickly disintegrated. ;)
First experience of Led ZEP was II, back in the day when you would go into a booth and listen to a couple of songs, and if you were lucky a whole album to see if you liked it (This is the UK, late 60s & early 70s). Almost none of the now legendary bands were played on the “wireless”.

I think LedZep are more nuanced, somewhere I have “Early Days” and “Later Days” (vinyls) and that covers all the good stuff. I love songs like Kashmir (check out Vincent Peirani for the accordion version) and Trampled underfoot. I also like the two Page and Plant collaborations from the 90s.

Top Bottom