• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beoplay A9 MkI + Wiim Pro Plus?

zmuda

Hello all, I would need your help.

I have at home an old Beoplay A9 MkI so a powered speaker with AirPlay 1, DLNA and a Line In input.

I would like to play the following sources from it:
1) TV with Apple TV and PS5 (I currently experience dropouts via AirPlay)
2) Record player (works via Line In)
3) Android phone (no possibility to connect currently)
4) Macbook (works with AirPlay)

Given that this is a powered speaker, could it work with buying Wiim Pro Plus streamer and connecting it to the Line In input of A9?

If I understand it correctly, I could connect all devices to Wiim like this:
1) TV via Optical, PS5 and Apple TV directly to TV
2) Record player via Line In
3) Phone via Chromecast/Bluetooth, Spotify Connect...
4) Macbook via AirPlay/...

I'm not too experienced in this, are there any potential issues (delay for TV/PS5, ...)?

Thanks a lot!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @zmuda! Welcome to ASR.

Given that this is a powered speaker, could it work with buying Wiim Pro Plus streamer and connecting it to the Line In input of A9?
Yes.

If I understand it correctly, I could connect all devices to Wiim like this:
That sounds about right.

I'm not too experienced in this, are there any potential issues (delay for TV/PS5, ...)?
Via Toslink in->RCA out, you should get negligible delay from the WiiM.

OP
Z

zmuda

Thanks a lot @staticV3! Really appreciate your help. I went way too deep into researching how could I replace the speaker. It is of course not ideal for movies/gaming - it stands on the side, no stereo separation...but if I can fix my current connectivity issues for a reasonable price with WiiM, then I guess I'll keep it just for the cool factor. I could potentially sell it for around 700 EUR but I'm not sure I could get much better replacement setup for a lower total price (~900 EUR).

I could go with an AVR from Denon and some reasonable 2.0 setup (small living room in an apartment, neighbors on all sides -> low volume, no subwoofer) for similar price but that didn't pass WAF. Even a more expensive setup with an equivalent AVR from Marantz (which I consider to look really nice) and more "design" speakers like B&W 606 S3 (should be much improved to previous generation?) was met with resistance.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears :)

OG1950XXX

Sounds like you have it covered however you will encounter various issues syncing but add a R7 and it can do all of that and more with less complexity in your case

OP
Z

zmuda

Hi, thanks a lot for your help. Do you mean FiiO R7?
What would be the benefits for syncing/delay over WiiM? TV would still be connected via Toslink I assume. How would I connect the record player (Denon DP-400)? It has only RCA line out, can I connect it to XLR balanced input with an appropriate cable?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a VERY cool speaker (the A9) :) No idea what it sounds like, but it's striking.

If you did want to change it, the KEF LSX (or LSX ii LT) are very decent and have a high WAF - range of colour options - I think they look sharp. You can connect directly into them, or via the WiiM

OG1950XXX

Hi, thanks a lot for your help. Do you mean FiiO R7?
What would be the benefits for syncing/delay over WiiM? TV would still be connected via Toslink I assume. How would I connect the record player (Denon DP-400)? It has only RCA line out, can I connect it to XLR balanced input with an appropriate cable?
FiiO R7 has a line I/o, WiiM will allow you to deal with unlike products issues such as When you pause in mid stream will most likely create delays? Setup the WPP as output Source, sends signal path through R7 FIRST gaining AptX! The TV has multiple ways to r7 plus Balance XLRs.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FiiO R7 has a line I/o, WiiM will allow you to deal with unlike products issues such as When you pause in mid stream will most likely create delays? Setup the WPP as output Source, sends signal path through R7 FIRST gaining AptX! The TV has multiple ways to r7 plus Balance XLRs.
Seems overly complicated: adding £600 GBP to your signal path for no benefit. Perhaps I've missed something

Top Bottom