• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf recommendations with no subwoofer.

jruser

In the $2k range, 14ft x 14ft bedroom, listening from 12ft away from the speakers, with no space for a subwoofer, what recommendations do you have?

Currently using Elac DBR-62’s which are fine, but am itching for an upgrade. Was considering some BMR Monitors, but was a little concerned about Erin’s compression graphs.

Powered by a pair of Outlaw 2220’s.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sell the amps and get some powered Neumann or Genelecs that‘ll get under 40Hz. if things are that tight in the room not needing the amps might help. Assuming you have no room for stands? If that’s the case, getting the most out of your bookshelves could be tough and I might the consider wall mounts in the corners of the room.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe look at Ascend Sierra LX. I observe if the LP is 12' from the speakers in a 14' room then both the speakers and LP are very close to the wall. The former is OK, the later is not. A thickly padded headboard might kill some of the back wall reflections at the LP. Otherwise, get a bigger house.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@jruser Are you looking for a full-range system, despite the lack of a subwoofer, or do you not really care about low frequency extension that much?

OP
J

jruser

Sell the amps and get some powered Neumann or Genelecs that‘ll get under 40Hz. if things are that tight in the room not needing the amps might help. Assuming you have no room for stands? If that’s the case, getting the most out of your bookshelves could be tough and I might the consider wall mounts in the corners of the room.
The speakers sit on some shelves that also store my vinyl, so can’t get rid of those. Getting rid of the amps doesn’t save me anything space. Can’t do wall mounts in the corners because there are closets in each corner.

Any specific model recommended for Neumann or Genelec?

OP
J

jruser

@jruser Are you looking for a full-range system, despite the lack of a subwoofer, or do you not really care about low frequency extension that much?
I mean, I care about it, but am limited in options. I just want to do the best I can in the space.

This is my secondary system. Main system includes a subwoofer.

OP
J

jruser

Maybe look at Ascend Sierra LX. I observe if the LP is 12' from the speakers in a 14' room then both the speakers and LP are very close to the wall. The former is OK, the later is not. A thickly padded headboard might kill some of the back wall reflections at the LP. Otherwise, get a bigger house.
The Sierra LX looks interesting. Better than the BMR Monitors?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I mean, I care about it, but am limited in options. I just want to do the best I can in the space.

This is my secondary system. Main system includes a subwoofer.
Best LFE with just bookshelf-ish speakers you'll probably get with Devialet.

Anything traditionally bookshelf-shaped will at most reach down to 40-50Hz.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Different. Not necessarily better. Both measure great. I personally like the looks of the BMR.

and adding to my previous post a Genelec 8030 would likely make your room sing if you want active speakers.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Ascend Sierra 2EX V2 or Mofi SourcePoint 8...although your listening environment is so poor (both speakers and LP against the walls), not sure why you are spending so much on a pair. Do you have the ability to EQ?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no way to answer that question. The Sierra is a bit less expensive, and you can get a pair faster.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers sit on some shelves that also store my vinyl, so can’t get rid of those. Getting rid of the amps doesn’t save me anything space. Can’t do wall mounts in the corners because there are closets in each corner.

Any specific model recommended for Neumann or Genelec?

on budget, usefull bass down to ~45Hz

over budget (~$3500), usefull bass down to ~35Hz

OP
J

jruser

Ascend Sierra 2EX V2 or Mofi SourcePoint 8...although your listening environment is so poor (both speakers and LP against the walls), not sure why you are spending so much on a pair. Do you have the ability to EQ?
I can EQ music, but not TV/movies

OP
J

jruser

What’s the audible effect of having both the speakers and listening position close to a wall?

I often feel like I get better music experience in the small room than I do from the main system. I don’t hate the current system in there, but sometimes an upgrade is nice. And I can swing speaker upgrades a lot easier than house upgrades.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot imagine no space for a sub :) I'd think the BMRs might have the advantage over the Sierras in useful extension but its fairly close in any case.

OP
J

jruser

Cannot imagine no space for a sub :) I'd think the BMRs might have the advantage over the Sierras in useful extension but its fairly close in any case.
I could get rid of some guitars or some vinyl or wife and get a sub in there, but one has to make choices at times.

rynberg

Forum Donor
What’s the audible effect of having both the speakers and listening position close to a wall?

I often feel like I get better music experience in the small room than I do from the main system. I don’t hate the current system in there, but sometimes an upgrade is nice. And I can swing speaker upgrades a lot easier than house upgrades.
That's a question better answered with spending some time learning small room acoustics 101, but the key points:

1. Speakers right up against the wall result in elevated levels at low frequencies and imaging/soundstaging typically suffers, sometimes significantly.
2. Listening position against the wall causes multiple problems, with the two most important being exaggerated low frequencies and lack of envelopment. If the wall behind you is acoustically reflective, you will have cancelations in the midrange.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the $2k range, 14ft x 14ft bedroom, listening from 12ft away from the speakers, with no space for a subwoofer, what recommendations do you have?

Currently using Elac DBR-62’s which are fine, but am itching for an upgrade. Was considering some BMR Monitors, but was a little concerned about Erin’s compression graphs.