• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

ARNiTECT

This is actually a simplification of my previous setup!
Flex HT replaces: miniDSP Dirac Live, miniDSP HD for routing & BM, 4x DACs, Meridian HD621 for HDMI to 8ch SPDIF.

danstahl

I don't have a MiniDSP yet, but in anticipation I got a 4x4 HDMI matrix which can take any of the four inputs and send to any of the four outputs in any order and combination. 3 inputs are used for bluray, playstation, etc. 1 output goes to my eArc convertor. The eArc would then output to the MiniDSP and put an HDMI video stream back into the 4th input of the matrix. The other 3 outputs of the matrix are then used to go to TV/projector, monitor etc. Once its setup its actually quite simple and seamless.

jaakkopetteri

I don't have a MiniDSP yet, but in anticipation I got a 4x4 HDMI matrix which can take any of the four inputs and send to any of the four outputs in any order and combination
Yeah that's not bad at all compared to four extra chinesium boxes.

I sould personally prefer not having extra remotes or input switching buttons

ARNiTECT

I use a Harmony remote, but wondering if the whole lot could be operated from just the TV or nvidia Shield remote using CEC.

Flex HT comes out of standby when I switch on my CXUHD
Power amps start with the trigger output from the Flex HT
2 fans start from the power amp's trigger output (I wired up a normally open relay to power the fans from a separate power supply when triggered).
The Ezcoo switch, splitter, eARC devices are triggered by a USB socket on the CXUHD (using another little relay for separate power)
The FeinTech eARC device on the TV is powered by a TV USB port.
Perhaps I can get the nvidia Shield and TV to communicate over CEC?
The 7 & 8 channels are powered by a small amp (PROZOR TPA3221) with IR control; I would only want this on for the rare occasions I need 7.1 surround

jaakkopetteri

Perhaps I can get the nvidia Shield and TV to communicate over CEC?
Shield Pro worked quite fine with the TV remote on my LG B9. I wonder if it's actually CEC cause I'm now using the Apple TV and it often leaves out commands if I'm not pointing the remote at the TV (the ATV being behind it) - almost like it's receiving the commands directly. Super weird.

kadajawi

Shield Pro worked quite fine with the TV remote on my LG B9. I wonder if it's actually CEC cause I'm now using the Apple TV and it often leaves out commands if I'm not pointing the remote at the TV (the ATV being behind it) - almost like it's receiving the commands directly. Super weird.
In the settings of the ATV you can set if you want the remote to use CEC, receiver via IR or TV via IR. I suspect in your case you are using IR... cover up the black part of the remote and try again.

For some reason CEC and ATV doesn't work right (the TV receives the signal and says it's changing the volume, but the MiniDSP ignores it. But if I use the TV remote, it looks the same way on screen but the MiniDSP does change the volume. Go figure.

jaakkopetteri

Not sure why I would cover the IR emitter? I had the ATV on auto (HDMI detected), switching manually to HDMI didn't seem to make much of a difference.

That sounds just typical to CEC. It's always shown the volume only on the AV device in my setup, ATV or not.

kadajawi

To check if the ATV remote sends an IR signal or not. If the volume changes while you direct the remote towards TV but not if the IR emitter is covered up, you know you're using IR and not CEC.

The AV device doesn't get the CEC signal, the TV does. Or rather, the TV doesn't forward the CEC signal to the MiniDSP. For whatever reason...

jaakkopetteri

To check if the ATV remote sends an IR signal or not. If the volume changes while you direct the remote towards TV but not if the IR emitter is covered up, you know you're using IR and not CEC.

The AV device doesn't get the CEC signal, the TV does. Or rather, the TV doesn't forward the CEC signal to the MiniDSP. For whatever
If you cover up the emitter nothing is going to happen, no? With CEC, the TV still needs the IR signal - I would need to cover up the IR detector on the ATV. I'm not using the ATV remote btw

jaakkopetteri

I believe there are several cheaper options. I purchased this (it was on sale for roughly 50% off on Black Friday) in the (likely) eventuality that I purchase a Flex. I haven't tested it but it should work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNSY3VKW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
So I got this and I finally was able to get 7.1 or 5.1 to the Flex HT. Damn it sounds good to hear proper LFE again :)
However, I was only able to make it work with the inputs on the device meaning sources from the TV (plugged to the OUT1) are stereo and I can't use the TV as the switcher.
Biggest bummer of all, I get CEC from the TV to the input device, but not to the Flex HT. In order to switch between two external devices and change volume and control the TV, I would need three remotes - no way, Jose.

I don't use anything from the TV (which is indeed an android TV with all possible apps).
My unique source is my media box provided by my internet provider (see it as a APTV like) that outputs LPCM over an hdmi port (ARC capable but meaning less here) and that has also all possible apps+TV channels.
Using Feintech VAX04101, the signal from my box is sent to the TV and to the Flex using an eARC port.
Do you get volume control with the media box remote (or TV remote) to the Flex HT?

I'm starting to wonder if what I'm after is even possible. I'm still waiting for a Nedis ACON3455AT which should be similar to the EZ-SP22H2, but I don't expect it to work any better. I also went through a few simpler options like the ‎EZ-SW21HA21, but they tend to lack either EDID management or "soundbar compatibility".

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Do you get volume control with the media box remote (or TV remote) to the Flex HT?

I am using a Logitech harmony hub+remote. Thus, I don't really care :)
I programmed volume +/- to send commands to the Flex.

With Feintech VAX04101 CEC is fully working ! I just got TV and media box remotes out of the cupboard and they do change the volume on the flex.

kadajawi

In my case the solution was to reboot the Apple Remote. Now IR is working again.

In a perfect world, CEC is all you need. No IR. The streaming box is sending control data via CEC to the TV. The TV is sending control data via CEC to the MiniDSP. For some reason this doesn't work for me... no idea why.

jaakkopetteri

You still need IR for the initial bit between the remote and the receiving device :)

The ACON3455AT works OK but I am (OK, my gf is) getting a bit tired switching between devices, so I started looking up EDID emulators. It seems that small adapters like this are quite popular, but are there any that also fake the EDID for audio?

If not, is there any reason EDID managers like this wouldn't work? Obviously I would need one for each external device, but I only have two so it's not that bad. Emulators like this can even be found for around $20 each.

EDIT: Actually, the first box doesn't seem to have audio EDID and the second box only does stereo LPCM and probably no HDR. Oh well...

Last edited:

ARNiTECT

I need to play about with EDID emulators too.
For my eARC splitter (Ezcoo EZ-SP22H2EARCO), I leave the EDID on 4K7.1, but it is only connected to my processor output (a bluray player).
My HDMI 2.1 splitter (EZ-SP12H28S) splits audio to my processor and video to my TV, I have its EDID set to 4K120DV7.1 and this passes through bitstream to my processor and Dolby Vison to my TV, but it takes ages for the TV to change from finishing playing a movie, to displaying the nvidia shield menu (TV says no signal); I wonder if this is anything to do with the splitter, or EDID. I picked up a new version of my splitter (EZ-SP12H21) to try in combination with a couple of EDID dongles.
The EDID emulators I have are the LINDY 32115 and the DIGITUS ASSMANN DA-70466. The Lindy has often worked when other EDID emulators have failed; it copies one device to be used elsewhere. The Digitus is similar, but less successful than the Lindy, but better than other EDID emulators I have tried.

jaakkopetteri

I also came across those emulators but the Lindy specs only mention 2.0 LPCM or Dolby/DTS and the Assmann mentions none :confused: I would still assume you can program them for multichannel LPCM. Please do report back!

EDIT: LINDY responded that the 32115 does support multichannel (Dolby at least) but it has to be cloned.

Last edited:

jaakkopetteri

I need to play about with EDID emulators too.
Have you tried anything yet? I received those two EDID emulators, but I realized I don't really understand the problem I'm trying to solve. Is it a matter of the TV telling other appliances to only send stereo or the TV downmixing things to stereo cause it thinks the Flex HT can only do stereo? Where should I put the emulators - does it make a difference whether I put it on the HDMI port on the TV or on the Flex HT? Should I make a configuration with CRU and clone it or can I use existing connections with the eARC EDID switch I have to clone a working config?

ARNiTECT

Have you tried anything yet? I received those two EDID emulators, but I realized I don't really understand the problem I'm trying to solve. Is it a matter of the TV telling other appliances to only send stereo or the TV downmixing things to stereo cause it thinks the Flex HT can only do stereo? Where should I put the emulators - does it make a difference whether I put it on the HDMI port on the TV or on the Flex HT? Should I make a configuration with CRU and clone it or can I use existing connections with the eARC EDID switch I have to clone a working config?
I'm not sure this applies to your situation, but I am successfully using 2 of these EDID cloning emulators for 8ch bitstreaming.

I first clone my CXUHD bluray player (used as surround decoder), by connecting the EDID emulator to the source device and then HDMI cable directly to my CXUHD for cloning.
Once stored, I then rearrange my devices as required, but the source device still sees my CXUHD.

First EDID emulator is:
TV LG G2 apps > eARC to HDMI-audio VAX01202 > EDID emulator LINDY 32115 > HDMI switch EZ-SW41H21 > HDMI splitter EZ-SP12H21 > CXUHD > HMDI to eARC EZ-SP22H2EARCO > miniDSP Flex HT
Without this emulator, I get no sound!

Second EDID emulator is:
HTPC nvidia T1000 > Displayport to HDMI adapter (sound only use) > EDID emulator DIGITUS ASSMANN DA-70466 > HDMI switch EZ-SW41H21 > HDMI splitter EZ-SP12H21 > CXUHD > HMDI to eARC EZ-SP22H2EARCO > miniDSP Flex HT
Without this emulator, my HTPC only sees stereo.

Annoyingly, my DIGITUS ASSMANN DA-70466 has started forgetting the CXUHD; instead it clones the splitter EZ-SP12H21, which seems to be ok, as it reports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I might replace this emulator with an all-in-one: THWT Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 EDID Emulator DPH-EWB.

jaakkopetteri

I first clone my CXUHD bluray player (used as surround decoder), by connecting the EDID emulator to the source device and then HDMI cable directly to my CXUHD for cloning.
Once stored, I then rearrange my devices as required, but the source device still sees my CXUHD.
In the case of the G2 as a source, mind clarifying the steps you took to clone the EDID? I tried cloning the connection between my Canton processor and B9 but just plugging the LINDY to the eARC port on the B9 does not give it power so the steps in the manual don't work that way...

ARNiTECT

In the case of the G2 as a source, mind clarifying the steps you took to clone the EDID? I tried cloning the connection between my Canton processor and B9 but just plugging the LINDY to the eARC port on the B9 does not give it power so the steps in the manual don't work that way...
I didn't make notes, but I'm pretty sure I did the following:
- connect a cable from VAX01202 to LG G2's 'HDMI2-eARC' port (VAX01202 powered from TV USB)
- plugged the LINDY 32115 in to the 'HDMI-audio-out' port of the VAX01202 (32115 powered from the VAX01202)
- connect a cable from my CXUHD bluray/processor to the LINDY 32115 (plug/unplug sequence to reset, then sequence to clone, as instructions)
- remove cable from CXUHD and plug into HDMI Switch, power cycle all components and I get sound.

plusforce

Forum Donor
is #3 in this post still valid ?
It means if my tv sends 7.1 to FLEX HT via eARC, then it can't be used for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup?
I have purchased alot of MiniDSP products over the years and here are my concerns:

1) it's using the same DSP chip as the Flex with 4 outputs, which is the same DSP chip in the 2x4 HD, so don't expect miracles in terms of processing. this is incredibly disappointing

2) It will not be competetively priced, If this thing is not significantly cheaper (without Dirac) than the Denon X3800 (or the X2800 for that matter) then I don't think anyone should be interested.

3) You might not be able to program the device to advertise itself as 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 capable, and since it's not capable of downmixing or upmixing this might ruin the experience for anyone with a setup smaller than 7.1.

Top Bottom