• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
No need to get snappy. IR peaks are dominated by HF. So again, can you please share those measurements?
And that matters when the speaker has a constant vertical directivity down to Schroeder? Please explain why.

Ever heard about a bandlimited ETC BTW?

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And that matters when the speaker has a constant vertical directivity down to Schroeder? Please explain why.
That's exactly the question – does it really have "constant vertical directivity down to Schroeder?" Please post data showing this. I can't remember seen it published. Is it somewhere in Keele's papers?
Ever heard about a bandlimited ETC BTW?
Yep, and it's of limited value for showing the claimed behavior with the Schroeder frequency – and a large transition zone around it – usually at around >200Hz in acoustically small rooms.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
That's exactly the question – does it really have "constant vertical directivity down to Schroeder?"
Yes, pretty much.
Please post data showing this. I can't remember seen it published. Is it somewhere in Keele's papers?
This is from Keele’s modelling:
IMG_1775.jpeg

Keele, A Performance Ranking of Seven Different Types of Loudspeaker Line Arrays, 2010

He also did actual measurements and essentially confirmed the model for vertical. I need to dig further to find them.

cheers

Last edited:

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, pretty much.

This is from Keele’s modelling:
View attachment 366044

Keele, A Performance Ranking of Seven Different Types of Loudspeaker Line Arrays, 2010

He also did actual measurements and essentially confirmed the model for vertical. I need to dig further to find them.

cheers
Thanks, remember those theoretical calculations when I read the Keele papers back then. Would like to see Bjorn's claim of "20dB attenuation" confirmed for a real design though.

And again, an ETC won't do even when band-limited. You'll fight frequency vs time resolution and in the end graphs aren't as conclusive as desired. One would need to look at free field data instead.
A 20dB attenuation at a 40-60 degrees angle is pretty hard to do. Something like a Quad ESL-57 does it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom