• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

Rmar

Interesting interview with Roy Delgado from Klipsch. Part one of a two part interview, Roy talks about designing speakers to that produce sound as if you were at a live show.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That would explain a lot.
Keith

Matt_Holland

Thanks. Will watch later.

On a general note, should we respect a design philosophy that aims to colour the sound in a deliberate way where the benefits of the colouration are subjectively valid and may appeal to a certain group of people?

If the designer uses good measurement tools and methods to back up their design choices, I think this should be respected.

It would be rather boring if all speakers followed Tooles recommendations for predicted in room response. I realise that you can EQ a good speaker to colour it to your taste, but a lot of people don’t have or understand EQ tools. Therefore it makes sense that there are some speakers that offer a certain flavour to suit preference and/or musical taste.

I’m not suggesting that coloured speakers have poor directivity and/or high distortion. Just that a deliberately non-flat in room response is a valid design goal for the intended customer base.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
On the Thursday evening before Axpona 2022 opened I was walking on the ground floor. With me was a musician who played multiple instruments. Down a wide walkway we could hear a saxaphone being played, and there was a door open on that side of the walkway. I looked at him and he looked at me, and we were both bug-eyed. I said, "THAT sounds like a live saxaphone!" and he agreed; saxaphpone is one of the instruments he plays. So we made a beeline for the open doorway. Was there a performance going on? Was somebody using a live-versus-recorded saxaphone to help them set up their room? Nope. Somebody was playing a pair of Klipsch Jubilee speakers in a very large room.

OP
R

Rmar

Is the speaker market destined to go the way dishwashers? They all wash pretty good, and some even have chimes and shinny front panels. Are all speakers going to sound the same? If could happen if consumers and manufacturers fixate on the proverbial flat frequency response. Consider that China already has 30 % of the Klippel NFS installations as well as 25% of the international market for speakers. With that going for them, it's not hard to image a day when low cost, flat frequency transducers in a box dominate the American market. It's also easy to imagine the label itself "flat frequency response," adorning speaker packaging, especially from markets and industries abroad that want to fill our homogenous taste. If that's what we want, that's what they will get. I for one welcome and support R&D for alternative technologies and designs in the future, just as I do now. I am happy to see Klipsch keeping up its desire and commitment to explore something different than most everyone else.

rynberg

Forum Donor
On a general note, should we respect a design philosophy that aims to colour the sound in a deliberate way where the benefits of the colouration are subjectively valid and may appeal to a certain group of people?

If the designer uses good measurement tools and methods to back up their design choices, I think this should be respected.
I don't respect that design philosophy but I can respect good engineering to achieve it. I haven't seen too many examples of that from this particular company.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Quoting @Rmar:

"I for one welcome and support R&D for alternative technologies and designs in the future, just as I do now. I am happy to see Klipsch keeping up its desire and commitment to explore something different than most everyone else."

Amen.

At the risk of oversimplifying, a question which has been investigated fairly thoroughly is this: "Of the speakers which have been evaluated, which are preferred?" And from those results we can infer which loudspeaker characteristics predict preference, and loudspeaker designers have advanced the art accordingly.

But there is another, rather open-ended question which imo has not been definitively answered: "What do we most want a loudspeaker to do?" And a reasonable follow-up question would be, "And what is the best way to do this within a given set of constraints?"

I think there are non-mainstream paradigms (present and future) which may prove to be viable alternatives to the more conventional approaches.

Here is an interview with a retired JBL loudspeaker designer that some might find interesting, as his thinking includes an arguably unexpected combination of the old-school and the modern:

rynberg

Forum Donor
Is it the horns, or something else?
Incorrect baffle step compensation, poor crossover selection/design, poor management of off-axis radiation, uneven frequency response, cheaply built cabinets with resonances galore...

Update: oh, and poor low frequency extension too. Oh, and vastly overstated sensitivity.

Last edited:

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Is it the horns, or something else?
It’s apparently in the “Fudge”. :oops: Many people have a misunderstanding of what Fudge is.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am an objectivist, but being an objectivist does not mean not having personal tastes that may be different from those of others.
I see a lot of criticism of klipsch for its colored speakers, I don't understand why, it's not snake oil, it's a design choice (which you may not like), almost all klipsch have a house sound, if you don't like it you can check the measurements and stay away from them.
In my main listening system I have Kef R3s with 3 subwoofers, all managed by the DSP adjusted based on measurements with umik 1 and rew, it is a high fidelity system and I am fully satisfied with it.
However, when I want to enjoy some rock or electronic music at full volume, I go up to the room where I have two huge Klipsch RP280F towers, never measured the frequency response not even out of curiosity, no sub. I turn up the volume and enjoy them like a child, I really enjoy them, what's wrong with that?

radix

Major Contributor
There's nothing magic or fundamental physics about Toole's curve. They are empirical preference measurements. If Klipsch thinks there's a different curve or sound that their customers prefer, good for them. As long as they are basing it on experimentation and engineering, I think that's ok.

On my system, I use a modified Harman curve for my response (a bit more bass, a bit less treble), and my Revel speakers can handle the EQ just great!

OP
R

Rmar

Incorrect baffle step compensation, poor crossover selection/design, poor management of off-axis radiation, uneven frequency response, cheaply built cabinets with resonances galore...

Update: oh, and poor low frequency extension too. Oh, and vastly overstated sensitivit

You obviously know your stuff. What would be your very top choice of passive speaker, bar none, in the $2000.00 to $2500.00 price range? I'd like to consider having a listen based on your experience and recommendation.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am an objectivist, but being an objectivist does not mean not having personal tastes that may be different from those of others.
Agree.
However, when I want to enjoy some rock or electronic music at full volume, I go up to the room where I have two huge Klipsch RP280F towers, never measured the frequency response not even out of curiosity, no sub. I turn up the volume and enjoy them like a child, I really enjoy them, what's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with it IMO. I personally feel most comfortable with capital-F Fidelity, but there's no rule against liking something else. I think the only problem arises when people try to pass off preference or conjecture as fact when it comes to coloration or lack thereof.

Top Bottom