• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Home Theater on Digital

Interesting information on this thread, considering the trend for many homes to use the smart TV as the music source/streaming device.

__egn

Hi All, I'm also needing to wrap my head around a digital Genelec loudspeaker system with my AVR.
I have a Storm Audio ISP MK2, and considering upgrading the unit with AES/EBU digital outputs - RJ45 interconnects.
In short, I'm wondering how do I connect the RJ45 outputs on the ISP MK2 to the XLR AES/EBU inputs on the Genelec speakers?

The ISP will handle the calibration through Dirac and therefore my bass management, as I have non-Genelec subs in the system.
A few implications to consider, especially around cost-benefit, potential dynamic range improvements, installation/cabling management.

Nattage

Let us know how you get on, if you go that route, not much details around on folk who have. Imagine it's mostly custom installers...

Nattage

AVR is an option, since Genelecs can't decode surround. Here's a good primer:

So Genelec themselves take analogue outputs from an AVR (thus letting their speakers do A-D-A before playing)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Kalman Rubinson recently got his review of a Storm Audio fully digital processor published in Stereophile. You can find the link in the AVR section of the forum.

With a combination of Genelecs and that Storm Audio processor, you can definetly keep the signal digital until the very last centimeters before the speaker driver.

Nattage

would this work?
Screenshot 2024-05-01 133151.jpg

Nattage

Thanks. Unamed boxes are the back of a TV and the genelec 9401 Aoip to aes, for the subs, which aren't Aoip.
Genelec flaunted a sub which is at the big show this year, but it's not yet released.

Littletycoon

Thanks. Unamed boxes are the back of a TV and the genelec 9401 Aoip to aes, for the subs, which aren't Aoip.
Genelec flaunted a sub which is at the big show this year, but it's not yet released.
Ah, i did not recognize the tv and the 9401. 9401 is expensive kit, you could consider cheaper hobbying with pc (nuc) and virtual soundcard software from Ravenna with e.g. Dirac eq. PC could also run jriver or kodi or..... as alternative to apple tv. But i guess heavy time investment compared to apple tv and 9401.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Nattage

Certainly does. And the analogue route is probably more robust, as that's Genelecs choice.
My original driver (the above is fantasy shopping and what if) was to have a system capable of critical music listening (no bad AV processor DACs in the chain) mainly stereo, but Atmos if possible, without having to switch modes or sources on the genelecs.
Since achieving this I have noticed my Genelecs sound even better in movies. That is, my audio praise (limited to 7.1 LPCM) is streets ahead of my old tonewinner processor.

gondorff

Hi All, I'm also needing to wrap my head around a digital Genelec loudspeaker system with my AVR.
I have a Storm Audio ISP MK2, and considering upgrading the unit with AES/EBU digital outputs - RJ45 interconnects.
In short, I'm wondering how do I connect the RJ45 outputs on the ISP MK2 to the XLR AES/EBU inputs on the Genelec speakers?

The ISP will handle the calibration through Dirac and therefore my bass management, as I have non-Genelec subs in the system.
A few implications to consider, especially around cost-benefit, potential dynamic range improvements, installation/cabling management.

[Edit]: Just seen that the ISP 32 offers indeed two ways to output digital: AES3 and AES67, depending on what you bought/will buy. The stuff below is for the AES3 option]

The 9401 is for AES67. I could not find the manual for the Storm Audio ISP MK2, but all specs I could see point to AES3 over networking cabling with RJ45/8P8C connector. So I think you meant the 9301, which is for AES3, AES/EBU. This means for an out-of-the-box-route: you would need 2 DMX to AES network breakout adapters (8ch each), officially not endorsed by the DMX standard (AES3 is 3 Pins instead of 5 for DMX and such), however: no one cares, it is in widespread use:
PL96000_1.webp
PL96001.jpg

After this, use another 2 breakout cables from AES3 to DB25, 8 Channel each, to connect it to an 9301.
HOSA_DB25-4xXLRF-4xXLRM_kabels_5m_multikabel_digitaal_AES_yamaha.jpg

Or, instead, buy a custom made cable to go directly from RJ45/8P8C to DB25.

Last edited:

__egn

[Edit]: Just seen that the ISP 32 offers indeed two ways to output digital: AES3 and AES67, depending on what you bought/will buy. The stuff below is for the AES3 option]

The 9401 is for AES67. I could not find the manual for the Storm Audio ISP MK2, but all specs I could see point to AES3 over networking cabling with RJ45/8P8C connector. So I think you meant the 9301, which is for AES3, AES/EBU. This means for an out-of-the-box-route: you would need 2 DMX to AES network breakout adapters (8ch each), officially not endorsed by the DMX standard (AES3 is 3 Pins instead of 5 for DMX and such), however: no one cares, it is in widespread use:
PL96000_1.webp
PL96001.jpg

After this, use another 2 breakout cables from AES3 to DB25, 8 Channel each, to connect it to an 9301.
HOSA_DB25-4xXLRF-4xXLRM_kabels_5m_multikabel_digitaal_AES_yamaha.jpg

Or, instead, buy a custom made cable to go directly from RJ45/8P8C to DB25.
Thanks! This makes sense now - I wanted to clarify that even if it's not endorsed/approved, it still works.

For context, my ISP MKII has no digital outputs, and I want to upgrade it with a digital card. I have two options: AES67 (AoIP) or AES 3 (AES/EBU).

Long story short, I need an AES/EBU signal to my Genelecs. My Genelecs are not the AoIP products but the AES3 (AES/EBU) 83xx range of products.
If I upgrade my ISP MK2 with an AES3 digital output card, the 9401A seems to become an extra complication in the signal chain.

The only reason why I'd choose AES67 is to 'future-proof' the setup. I don't think I will spend money on an 9401A, so I prefer AES/EBU.

Cheers again, that really helps clarify things.

__egn

I think and hope Genelec's natural progression is to equip their entire lineup with AoIP capabilities for at least digital audio signal delivery.
I'm finding it very convoluted having to daisy chain ethernet cables for GLM, supplying power, and audio signal - and then on top of that bass management with immersive audio.

Top Bottom