• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harbeth now with active version

mjgraves

Nothing wrong or especially new with loudspeakers being sold as a system, with mating amps and crossovers. While a system approach is nice, I personally don't consider such an approach "active" monitors, since the active bits are all external. Easily changed if/when desired.

CapMan

Major Contributor
What was measured by ASR was a pretty old model. Mesurements of modern models by other media show a very flat response, at least straight ahead. The designer does not like waveguides. I once saw an interview with him to explain why, but I have unfortunately not been able to find it back.
The new models do have waveguides which is a good sign - hopefully it gets incorporated into the passives

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not all Harbeth users are pipe and slippers romantics. I am certainly not. Anyway, these new models are first and foremost targeted at the professional market.
I doubt that they will be successful. At this price level you can choose ATC, Genelec, Meyer Sound etc. and the professional users are very conservative in choosing their tools: they will most likely stick to what they are used to...

DSJR

Major Contributor
It looks a lot like a Neumann 420 at 5 times the price.
That's the NLE3, NOT, the just announced NLE 1 which has a P3 sized bass-mid driver...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The new models do have waveguides which is a good sign - hopefully it gets incorporated into the passives
Don't see a significant waveguide?

1715008012565.png

DSJR

Major Contributor
Will Harbeth owners accept active operation and DSP which we all know is the devil’s handmaiden.
Keith
It's their dealers and distributors that need updating really. Alan said that they'd changed three far eastern distributors in fairly recent times for undisclosed reasons. I suspect for this brand, it really does need the distributors and dealers taking in hand to show them what's possible but the fight as mentioned below will be to keep dealers alive by offering actives where loads of (needless) profit can be made from selling piles of amps, equipment stands and woo cables to connect it all.

I mean, in the UK, Linn and Naim together as well as separately, did some incredibly, well, 'characterful' active systems which cost a bomb and this continues, so long established dealers tend to see 'active' as a cash cow upgrade ladder (this ties in with the A-N followers having to upgrade to get nearer to the holy grail of supposedly better sound). It's so easy to get a full blown if 'midling level' Naim/Kudos active system (with a very 'meh' kind of sound) while spending well over a hundred UK grand and that's before the special magic cables and equipment racks are added in. A fifty grand or whatever Harbeth three way is low cost in those terms, even if Neumann do a very effective 10" three way for well under nine thousand pounds and Dynaudio have a full wireless active dsp tower (Focus 50) with incredible insight into the recorded acoustic given the chance, for similar money (I've not heard the KH420's). I'm leaving out the D&D and Kii models since they're barely covered in UK dealerships I believe. ATC is about the only current bridge and even then, their active three weays are sold alongside the passive ones so customers can use whatever ill-matched w@nky power amp they like - the fancy veneers and old-time image count for far more it seems... PMC now have active amp packs wich can replace the passive crossovers in many of their slim tower models (I know nothing more, but the 'upgrade' is apparently £1750pr and hopefully a good one)

I can't believe how far behind the 'traditional' hifi trade is over here and maybe internationally, when speaker companies this site knows and generally loves are so far ahead but unknown or ignored in domestic dealerships it appears I think.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the NLE3, not thre small NLE 1 which is being talked about right now.
I had replied on
where it writes about "new models"

Also it doesn't seem really logical that the smaller models have one while the biggers don't as if some need it is usually the larger ones. Sure, the mid driver of the NLS3 is not large, on the other hand I doubt its much smaller than the NLS1 midwoofer? But lets see if there will be hopefully some high quality measurements, ideally a full spin.

MacClintock

To be honest, as much as I like Neumann and think they make one of the best (active) speakers in the world, the 420´s are kind of ugly, while these Harbeth´s, while grossly overpriced, like quite sleek. The 310 look nice.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, as much as I like Neumann and think they make one of the best (active) speakers in the world, the 420´s are kind of ugly, while these Harbeth´s, while grossly overpriced, like quite sleek. The 310 look nice.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I hope you realize you just annoyed any forum member which owns or aspires to own 420's.
ProductImageDesktop.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will Harbeth owners accept active operation and DSP which we all know is the devil’s handmaiden.
Keith
I would, but a)I'm not typical and b) not for that price I wouldn't.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Do you have pics?

Grotti

Forum Donor
Beauty is so subjective: I really don't know what to like about this big and overpriced monkey coffin of Harbeth.

Just my opinion of course.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I had replied on

where it writes about new models

Also it doesn't seem really logical that the smaller models have one while the biggers don't as if some need it is usually the larger ones. Sure, the mid driver of the NLS3 is not large, on the other hand I doubt its much smaller than the NLS1 midwoofer?
Am I allowed to post a pic as it's on the HUG? It's a two way with built in amps/crossovers but external supplies which may save a load of red tape...

1715017468075.jpeg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Am I allowed to post a pic as it's on the HUG? It's a two way with built in amps/crossovers but external supplies which may save a load of red tape...

View attachment 367986
Ah, looks good. Curious to see how it performs. IIRC Harbeths usually are "competent but not world beater" speakers re: objective Harman-based measurements.

MacClintock

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I hope you realize you just annoyed any forum member which owns or aspires to own 420's.View attachment 367967
If beauty is in the eye of the beholder (with which I don't totally agree, there is a subgenre of philosphy called aethetics and this is not only about just opinions), why should anyone bother who thinks they look gorgeous? I just don't like how they look, especially how the tweeter is merged to the mid driver. Soundwise this may be beneficial, but not for looks.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you forgot the 'benefit' of 6+ additional boxes and the extra mile of cable salad :)

An interesting and welcome move by Harbeth. And I do like their speakers. But it's really hard to see the benefit compared to top of the line actives from geithain/neumann/genelec/etc ... which are also quite a bit cheaper.

Top Bottom