• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Head amplifier for my turntable

vivid.joy

I have a pro-ject turntable that's currently hooked up to the same sound system I use for my TV. I'd like to have the option of listening to my records with through a dedicated headphone amplifier while my wife is watching TV for example.

My gear:
* Pro-Ject Primary Turntable
* Pro-Ject Phono Box MM
* Moondrop Blessing 2 IEMs
* Meze Audio 99 Classics

Both the 99 Classics and Blessing 2 are quite sensitive, super easy to drive. I'm looking for something under €100, pure head amplifier, no dac/bluetooth.

I considered a secondhand Pro-Ject Head Box S2, as it would be a nice match for the turntable and preamp, but I was discouraged by the reviews. Does anybody have any recommendations?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @vivid.joy! Welcome to ASR.

In Europe, some of the best headphone amplifiers at about 100€ are the SMSL SH-6, Sabaj A10h, and Sabaj A20h.

Edit: the iFi Zen Air Can may also be worth looking into.

And if you'd like to have some tone controls to play around with, take a look at the Fosi SK01.

Last edited:

mc.god

Hi @vivid.joy! Welcome to ASR.

In Europe, some of the best headphone amplifiers at about 100€ are the SMSL SH-6, Sabaj A10h, and Sabaj A20h.

Edit: the iFi Zen Air Can may also be worth looking into.

And if you'd like to have some tone controls to play around with, take a look at the Fosi SK01.

Unfortunately Sabaj A10h is no more available for about 6 months now, same goes for the SMSL SH6.
For max €100 I'd go 100% with Sabaj A20h
It doesn't have negative gain useful with high sensitive headphones and iems but it's relay volume control ensures perfect channel balance even at very low levels so it should be perfect anyway, unless you need pre-outs, since it lacks them.

staticV3

Master Contributor

mc.god

Oh nice, didn't check at amazon.de, very tempted to get a second unit...
For the price +shipping at audiophonics then I'd rather go for an L30 II from amazon
Ok but he wants to stay under €100 ;)

mc.god

Phono pre's usually have fairly low output voltage. The Project Phono Box MM has an output of 0.5 V @ 5 mV input, 1 kHz.

I'd recommend the SMSL over the Sabaj because the high gain settings of the SMSL SH-6 is 15.5 dB vs 9 dB of the Sabaj A10H.
Good point.
Anyway if i try to order SH-6 from linsoul.de it says it will ship only to Germany, while it's sold out at linsoul.com, so it depends on where the op lives.

mc.god

Better looking, please note that Sabaj A10h at amazon.de are used items.

Top Bottom