• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIGH END Munich 2024

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If are only talking about people who have an actual Atmos speaker system, then yes it is a small niche. However, consider that most people use it virtualized rather than with a full surround speaker setup. Apple Music, Amazon Music, Tidal, Netflix, Max, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Paramount+ and other offer Atmos. Literally millions of Atmos enabled TVs, soundbars, and headphones have been sold.

I'm sure that's not the "high end" future CINERAMAX was speaking of, which I take to be actual levels of sonic performance.

A soundbar will spread sound around, but it won't match the actual sonic quality of any number of two channel speakers.

BrooklynNick

I'm sure that's not the "high end" future CINERAMAX was speaking of, which I take to be actual levels of sonic performance.

A soundbar will spread sound around, but it won't match the actual sonic quality of any number of two channel speakers.

Better "sonic performance" is a rather vague metric and it largely depends on both the content and the use case. An action movie that effectively uses Atmos will be more immersive with virtualized surround sound than with two channel.

BTW, The tech now is much better than just spreading the sound. Especially for headphones.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
?

There's some more details in the link about the listening experience. It's a show report so obviously no measurements.

But if language isn't your thing, maybe skip it ;-)
LOL, I don't speak excited audiophile particularly.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL, I don't speak excited audiophile particularly.

It's a show report. What are you expecting from a show report thread?

People aren't carrying around room measurement gear. He described what he heard and why he found it exciting. You're put off by someone actually expressing enthusiasm for what he heard?

The lengths some go to maintain an allergy to every day descriptive language is pretty strange IMO.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a show report. What are you expecting from a show report thread?

People aren't carrying around room measurement gear. He described what he heard and why he found it exciting. You're put off by someone actually expressing enthusiasm for what he heard?

The lengths some go to maintain an allergy to every day descriptive language is pretty strange IMO.
I wouldn't expect them to carry around measurement gear but I would expect those displaying to have access to measurements on request perhaps. I just don't get excited about this stuff, and the "language" or impressions of an excited consumer often leaves much to be desired in audio and other areas as well. YMMV.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't expect them to carry around measurement gear but I would expect those displaying to have access to measurements on request perhaps. I just don't get excited about this stuff, and the "language" or impressions of an excited consumer often leaves much to be desired in audio and other areas as well. YMMV.

Fair enough, understood. Cheers.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dolby atmos surround?

I suppose in one way: it may ultimately provide the highest quality listening experience.

In terms of going beyond a teeny niche to wider acceptance among audiophiles? Doubtful it's the future, at least not any near future I can see.
It is so unfortunate that many "audiophiles" would rather twiddle with completely unimportant shit such as wires, amps, "hi-rez" etc. than actually seek a better experience.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
A full range 9.4.6 rendition of Baba O'Reilly. Which does not hold a candle to such a beast done wth coaxial non compression driver speakers. Coaxial take 3D audio object imaging to another level. Why we have gone fro Alcons to Kef, and from Dynaudio to Elipson.
I have always found curious that while you have incredibly nice coaxials for home and pro audio (KEF, Genelec, Geithain, Mofi Sourcepoint...), in car audio they are typically the cheap afterthought.

SeriousSeri

I have always found curious that while you have incredibly nice coaxials for home and pro audio (KEF, Genelec, Geithain, Mofi Sourcepoint...), in car audio they are typically the cheap afterthought.
I'd say that is because of the placement of the Speakers. A tweeter in your footwell is not exactly well positioned. And you rarely (ever?) find bigger speakers positioned in a way that would justify a coax solution.

To not drift off-topic too much:
I was at the show, and besides having a look (for the optics) at some gear and opportunities for interesting talks I find these shows pretty useless. Everything about these are contradictory to everything I would seek out for a listening experience.
Then again, interesting talks are something I am all in for =)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'd say that is because of the placement of the Speakers. A tweeter in your footwell is not exactly well positioned. And you rarely (ever?) find bigger speakers positioned in a way that would justify a coax solution.

To not drift off-topic too much:
I was at the show, and besides having a look (for the optics) at some gear and opportunities for interesting talks I find these shows pretty useless. Everything about these are contradictory to everything I would seek out for a listening experience.
Then again, interesting talks are something I am all in for =)
Front dashes and upper mounts on doors typically take 2´5 to 3´5 inch mounts where quality coaxials could definetly shine.

Build quality for more conventional speakers is there, as Focal clearly shows.

I compare car audio because I find curious that DSP has been a standard in that world for quite a long time and most quality installers would not even think of not using a DSP for adjustment while it is quite taboo for many home users to even think about DSP´s as a standard adjustment tool for their speakers.

CINERAMAX

Dealer
Dolby atmos surround?

I suppose in one way: it may ultimately provide the highest quality listening experience.

In terms of going beyond a teeny niche to wider acceptance among audiophiles? Doubtful it's the future, at least not any near future I can see.
Having so much discrete spatial information with a good mix is incredible.

I agree, not everyone can spend $70,000 on immersive audio Blu-rays, but the advancements in mixing technology are phenomenal.

Apple Music needs to stop with compressed audio and transmit TrueHD Atmos; then stereo would fade away. I've been swimming against the stereophonic current since 1974 with Quad. I am having the time of my life—just buy the two WHAM! (yes, that band) Atmos Blu-rays and you'll see it beats 2-channel audio all day long. Joni Mitchell too; it's just too good to pass up.

It's time to put object audio spatial psychedelics into premium psychoacoustics.:)

CINERAMAX

Dealer
52220-Andrew-Poulain-at-Jetson-SL-3.jpg

I believe coaxial is essential, and sphere-shaped speakers floating in mid-space are the closest to the perfect point source. The Elipson Planet L at 500 euros are the biggest bargain. I gave away a $75,000 Dynaudio sound system with ATI amps and replaced it with the Elipsons. At near midfield, it's heaven on earth for multichannel audio.

That is the director of Dolby who commissioned the first 1,000 movie theaters. He liked my Dynaudio rig, but it just does not and will never image in 3D like coaxials, especially these round coaxials. You can get the best high-end object imaging sound for under 10 grand.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple Music needs to stop with compressed audio and transmit TrueHD Atmos; then stereo would fade away.
IMO that’s the least of our concerns.

What would be truly helpful are means of lowering the installation cost barriers.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 370043

I believe coaxial is essential, and sphere-shaped speakers floating in mid-space are the closest to the perfect point source. The Elipson Planet L at 500 euros are the biggest bargain. I gave away a $75,000 Dynaudio sound system with ATI amps and replaced it with the Elipsons. At near midfield, it's heaven on earth for multichannel audio.

That is the director of Dolby who commissioned the first 1,000 movie theaters. He liked my Dynaudio rig, but it just does not and will never image in 3D like coaxials, especially these round coaxials. You can get the best high-end object imaging sound for under 10 grand.
I enjoy your perspective on this!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having so much discrete spatial information with a good mix is incredible.

I agree, not everyone can spend $70,000 on immersive audio Blu-rays, but the advancements in mixing technology are phenomenal.

Apple Music needs to stop with compressed audio and transmit TrueHD Atmos; then stereo would fade away. I've been swimming against the stereophonic current since 1974 with Quad. I am having the time of my life—just buy the two WHAM! (yes, that band) Atmos Blu-rays and you'll see it beats 2-channel audio all day long. Joni Mitchell too; it's just too good to pass up.

It's time to put object audio spatial psychedelics into premium psychoacoustics.:)
I’m familiar with discrete Dolby atoms mixes. I do Sound design for movies and TV and some of our work is mixed in Dolby surround. So I get to hear it in multimillion dollar mixing theaters.

Practicality to some degree reigns. Top shelf Dolby playback in the home is obviously going to remain niche.

Aside from my professional work, I’m an audiophile and also a Home Theatre enthusiast with a projection based Home Theatre and surround sound. And even I haven’t upgraded from my 7.0 system to Dolby Atmos. Because of the expense and how big a pain in the ass it will be.

Top Bottom