• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leo Yeh ‘My -Hiend’ Munich coverage

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Leo started covering Munich in 2007, his coverage is comprehensive!
https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13419-2024年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show-2024

Keith

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the pictures of this and other 'High-End' shows, I do wonder how many of the ridiculous turntables and loudspeakers ever get sold. Do they ever manufacture more than the prototype?

I know money isn't an object with high-end anything, in fact with Weblen goods, the higher the better, but nevertheless, that stuff still has to be in someone's home, and are people with that sort of money that tasteless?

Shakes head in disbelief and goes off muttering to himself....

S.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t know Serge, I went first in 2007 with Cessaro horns which retailed at Euros 25k and I believe they were the most expensive item of equipment at the show, you can see all 5 pages of Munich 2007 archived at Leo’s site .
Now what at least 75% of components are financially out of reach of even well paid customers, and the sheer size, it is comparable to ‘Museum art’ , very little innovation and little regard for SQ very little interest for me.
And all those resources attempting to get an inherently flawed vinyl medium to sound halfway decent just weird.
The last days of Rome.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Up to 70 pages at the moment, Leo really does a fine job, he hasn’t reached the cheap stuff yet, I see that Munich are now using ‘Motorworld’ which is just down the road as a venue and there is the ‘De-Luxe’ show held at the Marriott hotel.
It is worth a visit even if only once, Munich itself is quite pleasant, you can enjoy pig and brown gravy at the same beer keller frequented by Hitler.
( other beer kellers are available) , and the beer gardens which are slightly outside are really enjoyable.
Keith

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've only just started but haven't seen cable risers yet, the rats-nests carefully hidden behind backdrops so far...

oops, didn't take long - effin' Magico with their hopsepipe wires on lifters :facepalm: ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW.
Holger Barske does a nice job of photo-documenting some shows in the EU including (at least most years) the one in München.
His tastes (like mine) run towards the thermionic, though. ;) :cool:
Unfortunately, he usually doesn't add much documentation -- but, still, many cool photos from this Flickr member. :)
Albums on his Flickr page currently only go up through March, but if he was there, he'll certainly post some photos anon.

bv_11 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

bkht23_19 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

MKR

Major Contributor
Thanks for that link Keith, great photos. Munich show full of the usual silliness and snake oil (maybe it takes the prize for the most silliness of all the shows), but one thing I like about this show is I often see products I have never seen before.

Below a good example. Interesting concepts, appear to be fully active. Anyone know anything about them?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Only that they are a German manufact whom I believe only sell direct, they are at Munich every year, when I started going the show was more German centric but obviously as it has grown…
It has become so far removed from a, sound quality and what the average enthusiast can afford is breathtaking.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Only that they are a German manufact whom I believe only sell direct, they are at Munich every year, when I started going the show was more German centric but obviously as it has grown…
It has become so far removed from a, sound quality and what the average enthusiast can afford is breathtaking.
Keith
Indeed, the prices of 90% of the products at this show I am sure 99.9% of us normal folks could not afford. Add to that and even worse, I have no doubt that 90% sound terrible. Becomes more of a modern art sculpture show where the exhibits happen to puke out some sound.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Why not just buy a really nice sculpture or painting , which might actually appreciate in value.
The whole thing makes me feel slightly nauseous.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
More ‘new’ Quad 33/303 no prices that I could see.
IMG_3620.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Harbeth actives, all photos courtesy of Leo and ‘MyHiEnd’.
IMG_3623.jpeg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Munich itself is quite pleasant, you can enjoy pig and brown gravy at the same beer kelly frequented by Hitler.
Munich in a nutshell. I couldn't have said it better. ;-)

sq225917

Major Contributor
I guess its easier and more profitable to sell a 100k piece of kit than 100x 1k pieces of kit. It's a sign of declining volume in the market.

Also it's just another way of showing off, one's millionaire friends aren't going to be I.pressed with a diy purifi amp, are they?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also it's just another way of showing off, one's millionaire friends aren't going to be Impressed with a diy purifi amp, are they?
Just tell them it cost £100K, let's face it, they're not going to know any better.

The speakers will still need to look impressive, but that's well catered for.

Digital_Thor

Coming back for YG. They told me they are working on separate subwoofers that integrate with their new active series, which will create an active room correction, of some sort. Looking forward to it

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
YG actives! ( clutches pearls).
Having looked through most of Leos photographic essay I can only bring to mind a handful of active speakers and some of those not connected.
Kii
Grimm
Beckes&Muller
Harbeth
Dynaudio
Meridian
Havent seen Genelec this year?
Keith

Top Bottom