• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideal speakers for a small room (with sub)

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members: I am currently very happy with my setup, so no real haste with this.

Current setup:
Wiim Pro
Minidsp Flex Balanced with DIRAC live.
NC500MP powering a custom subwoofer.
NC252MP powering a pair of focal chora 816.
Crossover currently at 60 Hz

All of this is in a small room (3.30 m x 5.50 m) and the room is untreated except for a matrass behind me and a thick carpet.

With the sub crawl method the bass is as good as it gets (which is really to my liking).

The speakers are positioned 1 m from the wall (after a lot of measuring and listening). Speakers and sub are perfectly time aligned.

I used to own the KEF R3. I liked them but I was able to hear where they were when listening. In this regard I like the the focals much better. I really enjoy a wide sound stage, if that is the correct term.

If I'd ever upgrade my speakers, what would be the most logical choice for this dedicated 2.1 setup music room?

Just to be sure, I only listen to music.

thanks for your insights.

I only listen to music, very rarely loud (max 80 spl?)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which country are you located in?
How much would you like to spend on the speakers?
New, or used?

Since you prefer the Focal's wider directivity over the KEF's, a ribbon tweeter design may be a natural progression, as they have an even wider directivity.

Some brands that make great passive speakers with ribbon tweeter include Ascend Acoustics, Philharmonic Audio, Wharfedale, and Elac.

OP
G

Geertidow

Which country are you located in?
How much would you like to spend on the speakers?
New, or used?

Since you prefer the Focal's wider directivity over the KEF's, a ribbon tweeter design may be a natural progression, as they have an even wider directivity.

Some brands that make great passive speakers with ribbon tweeter include Ascend Acoustics, Philharmonic Audio, Wharfedale, and Elac.
Netherlands, max 10k euro (long term project) but absolutely not necessary, new or used are both fine.

highender

Netherlands, max 10k euro (long term project) but absolutely not necessary, new or used are both fine.
If you had a Flex 8 or HT(x), or willing to adjust to those, I would look into Sun Audio., a Dutch brand. They have a wide radiation pattern, and clean measurements.

Chazz6

Don't know about wide sound stage, but I went from Focal Aria 906's - which were very good - to Spendor A1's, and now I hear the music not the speakers.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In your price range D&D 8C demands a look, maybe you could pick one up secondhand...

Lots of Genelec and Neumann options in there as well.

OP
G

Geertidow

In your price range D&D 8C demands a look, maybe you could pick one up secondhand...

Lots of Genelec and Neumann options in there as well.
Yeah, but I'm not a near field listener. I'd be okay with active monitors but I do really want wide dispersion I guess.

Listening distance is about 2 meters.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yeah, but I'm not a near field listener. I'd be okay with active monitors but I do really want wide dispersion I guess.
Then you'd be a Genelec type more than a Neumann type. A pair of 8351Bs would be within budget. Since you already have a sub, those would arguably be preferable over the 8361As (dispersion is a tad smoother).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Listening distance is about 2 meters.
Stating the obvious but you really near to hear any possibles in your room, all solid recommendations if you enjoy a wide and deep soundstage you might also consider Thorbjørn Sigberg’s ( of this very forum) SBS, I have been really impressed with them.
Keith

OP
G

Geertidow

I'll definitely look into these options. Reason for this post was considering the Kef R11 meta, but since I did not like the R3 that much I am open for other suggestions. Since the room is not so big I think there are more suitable options.

Top Bottom