• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I first went down the road of a PC/multichnnel dac active system - rule number 1 was do not connect tweeters to channels 1/2!

Channel mapping/routing in Audiolense is really easy. Under speaker setup you set it / label it however you are wired up. You can then safely test before running sweeps. Then the.cfg files are automatically generated using the same channel mapping. I dont get how you can get a wrong setup in the .cfg file??

Keith_W

Major Contributor
When I first went down the road of a PC/multichnnel dac active system - rule number 1 was do not connect tweeters to channels 1/2!

Channel mapping/routing in Audiolense is really easy. Under speaker setup you set it / label it however you are wired up. You can then safely test before running sweeps. Then the.cfg files are automatically generated using the same channel mapping. I dont get how you can get a wrong setup in the .cfg file??

I am not the Audiolense user. My friend was. I told him my channel mapping is 1, 2 for left and right sub, 3, 4 for left and right woofer, etc. He wanted 0-3 for left, and 4-7 for right. But that would involve too much recabling, and the cables are really well hidden in my system and I was not willing to do that. So he ended up telling Audiolense to use 0, 2, 4, 6 for left, and 1, 3, 5, 7 for the right. That is as far as I recall.

I have no idea why the .cfg files came out so garbled. I am glad I was cautious and played it at a very low volume before we realized the channel assignments were wrong. Anyway, it's fixed now and since I don't use Audiolense, I left it to him to figure out.

SDX-LV

I wonder if an ARM computer hardware like this with HDMI input could be programmed to decode Atmos from HDMI and then run the necessary DSP stuff or at least output decoded audio over Dante/AVB/ethernet ? If yes, then ARM-based convolver and room correction would be very interesting :)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if an ARM computer hardware like this with HDMI input could be programmed to decode Atmos from HDMI and then run the necessary DSP stuff or at least output decoded audio over Dante/AVB/ethernet ? If yes, then ARM-based convolver and room correction would be very interesting :)
There are already multiple threads here on how to do this. However the only ARM based release of HLC is for Raspberry Pi.

SDX-LV

There are already multiple threads here on how to do this. However the only ARM based release of HLC is for Raspberry Pi.
I haven't noticed any information on how to Input an HDMI into any custom hardware to decode Atmos, DTS-X and the like. To do 7.1.4 decoding of Atmos from your Xbox, Apple TV, etc. today you basically must get specialized devices like AVRs or Arvus products. Have I missed anything?

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @SDX-LV thanks for your suggestion. HLHost and HLC can target pretty much any computing platform, including iOS, Android, ARM32 like Beaglebone Black, and the one you suggested.

I already have something in the works with the chassis and PCB's being designed/manufactured. Sorry, I cannot disclose any further details at this point, but should make you (and others) happy :cool: Stay tuned!

SDX-LV

Stay tuned!
Exciting :) I am "putting together" a system to add Atmos to a car - there is no space for AVRs and "home theater processors" plus it all needs to be properly DSP tunable with over 16 channels for digital crossovers and 5.1.4 channels... (and preferably just-work™ standalone). I need at least a year more till the budget catches up with ambitions:
So I can wait :D

gabo4au

Hey Mitch, I went to your site a few days ago and noticed that my version (1.1.8) was way out of date. So I downloaded 1.2.6 and installed it. It whined about the directory already existing, so I just ignored that. It updated the host app, but in my DAW I'm still showing the old VST3 version. Doing a systemwide search for hlconvolver.vst3, I don't find a new version of that. How do I get the new vst3 installed?

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi Gabo, sorry for the trouble. if there is an instance of HLC running, the installer will complain and not install the new version. The other aspect is that Steinberg recently updated their VST SDK which now install's HLC as a "bundle." This happened in-between version 1.1.8 and 1.2.6. So these two items may complicate upgrades.

If you haven't already, please uninstall and then reinstall, making sure no instances are running. I don't know what OS you are running. but if you take a look at page 7 of the operations guide, it describes where the plugins are installed. For example, on Windows it is:
C::\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\HLConvolver.vst3 And now it is:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\HLConvolver.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\HLConvolver.vst3.

Please let me know how you make out.

gabo4au

Ah, no worries Mitch. I'm on Winblows 11 :) I uninstalled it, deleted the C:\program files\accurate sound directory, then deleted the c:\program files\common files\vst3\hlconvolver.vst3 file. Then I re-installed it from the download.

All good! My DAW picked up the new vst3 location as it searches everything under c:\program files\common files\vst3\... And the host version works as well, with my saved config.

I should have tried that before I posted here as it gave me the error when I tried to install it. I just looked at the error and it seemed like it was just complaining about the directory already being created. When I continued on, it then seemed to install, but obviously not correctly.

I should have bailed out and uninstalled when I saw that message. Great program that I use every day with both my DAW and the host. I use both an RME Babyface and an RME UFX for the studio. Easy with the host to route things correctly through HL with TotalMix.

Top Bottom