• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jack, why ?

Thierrry

New here, hi all.
My question is very simple.

The jack is known to be the worst audio connector possible. It has been made 150 years ago to carry some very narrow phone signal, 4 or 5 khz.
Now, you can find some amp which work from 10 to 100 kHz (!) and there's still this out of age connector.
So, why should I spend 20 k€ in a headphone, amp, DAC and more for at the end strangling the sound in such a plug ? Perhaps a mini XLR should be more efficient ?
As I could see, only Focal Utopia get some XLR...

Thank you

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. The jack is a fine connector. It allows convenient connect and disconnect, without locking, but is held in sufficiently tightly to stand reasonable cable movement. It is reasonably well balanced that it doesn't cause any great reduction in common-mode rejection, it is sufficiently small that connector density on a panel can be high, and it can carry additional poles for microphones or signalling.

All in all, very versatile.

S

Sokel

Master Contributor
My only rant about jack vs XLR is that an even bad XLR can't let you down,it will never short,it will never leave something in the chassis if broken,etc.
Not the case with Jacks,it needs to be of high quality to be safe.
If tip/ring start getting loose can very well short stuff as they turn inside.

Neutric has a very nice one that prevents that:

1711493156064.jpeg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I only have one complaint and that’s big jacks for iem’s’ - why?,

Top Bottom