• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 84 18.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 370 79.7%

• Total voters

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be honest, I haven't been impressed with the R11 LF performance. I have tried a bunch of Kef speakers: the R11 was my first replacement of the 1990s Reference Fours. Well, that wasn't a fair comparison (talking LF only). Next, I tried the R900s which really blew the R11 away in my opinion. The R11 might be more controlled (so they say), but it's lacking the "oomph" factor (I know, I know, that's what subwoofer are for. But still. Anything above 80Hz matters). That's to me where the Reference 5 shines: it has the same number (4) and diameter (6.5") of LF drivers but that's where the comparisons stop. The Reference drivers are completely different, with totally different internal LF enclosures.

View attachment 367960
Same. I always felt like my R11s were seriously underwhelming in the lower frequencies. In fact, I got the smoothest response running them with a 90 Hz crossover. If you look at the plots of the Reference series and the Blades, they have substantially more bass extension than the R series.

Palmspar

Same. I always felt like my R11s were seriously underwhelming in the lower frequencies. In fact, I got the smoothest response running them with a 90 Hz crossover. If you look at the plots of the Reference series and the Blades, they have substantially more bass extension than the R series.
Try to move the speakers away from the backwall or to the left or right?
Even with the use of dual subwoofers there are also spots in a room where there is no base onder 40hz or so.
I cant believe that high end speaker has no base, its maybe the room itself what messed it up.
The problem with big towers is they are almost never in the best place for good base output, with subwoofers you can better look for the best place.

ban25

Try to move the speakers away from the backwall or to the left or right?
Even with the use of dual subwoofers there are also spots in a room where there is no base onder 40hz or so.
I cant believe that high end speaker has no base, its maybe the room itself what messed it up.
The problem with big towers is they are almost never in the best place for good base output, with subwoofers you can better look for the best place.
I wouldn't call it high-end. Mid-range. I don't have them anymore.

SlothRock

Glad I held off. I decided I'm gonna wait for measurements from the new SVS Ultra Evolution towers and go from there. Subjective reviews are initially very positive but need to see some legit measurements and, if they're as good as im hoping, they might be the better value purchase over all

Vacceo

Major Contributor
In that scenario, it seems that getting the R3 and use the rest of the money for subwoofers sounds like a better deal.

Or go LS60 if you're running stereo.

ban25

In that scenario, it seems that getting the R3 and use the rest of the money for subwoofers sounds like a better deal.

Or go LS60 if you're running stereo.
I'm temporarily using LS50 Metas on Solid Steel stands as my FR/FL speakers while I await delivery on the Blades. Crossed over at 90 Hz with a KF92 subwoofer, they aren't bad TBH. Haven't tried watching a film at reference level, but for day to day, they do the job.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I always felt like my R11s were seriously underwhelming in the lower frequencies.
That stepped down bass response to reduce impact of room modes is the reason. I compensated for it in the R11 Meta: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r11-meta-tower-speaker-review.53282/

index.php

That first filter significantly improved low bass response.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amirm, any reason to get a better or (more expensive) speaker than this like the Revel 228BE?
It is not a matter of expense but what kind of spatial effects you like. Revels will have wider directivity providing a more diffused but expansive soundstage. The R11 will provide a more focused one. These are subjective factors that are hard to predict for individuals.

Both of these speakers have limited bass and getting more of that, will require more expense. To wit, my Salon 2s are in the next class as far as bass peformance.

DearSX

It is not a matter of expense but what kind of spatial effects you like. Revels will have wider directivity providing a more diffused but expansive soundstage. The R11 will provide a more focused one. These are subjective factors that are hard to predict for individuals.

Both of these speakers have limited bass and getting more of that, will require more expense. To wit, my Salon 2s are in the next class as far as bass peformance.
Thank you for you quick response and going into details!

I'm not really sure what spatial effects I prefer. still figuring that out.

My room has strong nodes, but eventually I will want awesome bass at Salon 2 levels :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm temporarily using LS50 Metas on Solid Steel stands as my FR/FL speakers while I await delivery on the Blades. Crossed over at 90 Hz with a KF92 subwoofer, they aren't bad TBH. Haven't tried watching a film at reference level, but for day to day, they do the job.
I have a similar setup but with the active version. In a small room, I'm not missing anything in music, but I'm sure I could get more out of the LS60's. Several thousands more, well, that is not that clear given the size of the room.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not really sure what spatial effects I prefer. still figuring that out.
Then your default position should be that you like wider dispersion. That is what most people like in controlled testing.

A few years back there was a blind test performed by audiophiles of JBL M2 against Revel Salon 2. Salon 2 won because of that factor as both are excellently designed by the same company.

DearSX

Then your default position should be that you like wider dispersion. That is what most people like in controlled testing.

A few years back there was a blind test performed by audiophiles of JBL M2 against Revel Salon 2. Salon 2 won because of that factor as both are excellently designed by the same company.
Thanks, will do! Let's see how the new Revel line does.

Top Bottom