• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 28.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 206 67.1%

• Total voters

Tavus

Yes. I did that for a few years including using the Concerta center. It all sounded glorious together. Tonal matching is not nearly as much of a thing as the industry would have you believe, however. (I now have all Polk in-wall surrounds and in-ceiling heights and it still sounds glorious.)

There is one cosmetic difference that may or may not matter to you. Performa tweeter domes are black, whereas Concerta tweeter domes are silver. That led me to "upgrade" my center to a Performa.
Good to hear, I will try to do what you did, gives me maximum value and that matters to me a lot. Too much marketing says it needs to be the same series. I guess its not big deal to have different series of speakers in a setup.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Is it possible to pair a Revel Preforma series with the Concerta series as surrounds? Will it tonally match?
I have F206 and C208 but use S16 surrounds (in white, to better blend in with the wall). No issues at all, and the aesthetics of the S16 are close enough to the Performas to not bother me. :)

fritobugger

Is it possible to pair a Revel Preforma series with the Concerta series as surrounds? Will it tonally match?

If you mainly talking about movies and not multi channel music, then the side, rear, and height channels don't really need to be voice matched.

I've used matched and unmatched surrounds over the years and can't say that it made any significant difference.

Good speakers will sound good.

fjhuerta

I bought these speakers a couple of years ago. It's the first time ever I don't feel any need to upgrade them. They are gorgeous, and crossed over at 40 Hz to a pair of 12" subs, they sound extremely good. I added DIRAC and it made them even better.

fritobugger

I bought these speakers a couple of years ago. It's the first time ever I don't feel any need to upgrade them. They are gorgeous, and crossed over at 40 Hz to a pair of 12" subs, they sound extremely good. I added DIRAC and it made them even better.

Audyessy XT32 also crossed my F208 over at 40Hz to the sub. Play the song Snow by The Chemical Bros and it just vibrates the whole place.

Last edited:

Wavez

I have f208s that I'm about to move into a 16'x14' basement room with only 6'9" ceilings but this review has me second guessing if I should trade them out for the 206s for the more favorable small form factor. If I'm running the 206 with a sub am I likely to notice a difference? Comparing the reviews it looks like the 208s have broader horizontal dispersion, very slightly smoother/flatter freq response, and lower THD (maybe not audible though), and of course lower cutoff. Anyone heard them side by side that could describe any audible differences? Will be used for 50/50 music and movies in a stereo system with sub added if needed in the room.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have f208s that I'm about to move into a mid size room but this review has me second guessing if I should trade them out for the 206s for the more favorable small form factor. If I'm running the 206 with a sub am I likely to notice a difference? Comparing the reviews it looks like the 208s have broader horizontal dispersion, very slightly smoother/flatter freq response, and lower THD (maybe not audible though), and of course lower cutoff. Anyone heard them side by side that could describe any audible differences? Will be used for 50/50 music and movies in a stereo system with sub added if needed in the room.
Given the choice, I would take the 208s. My room is tiny, so I had to go with the 206s to not have them look silly.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have f208s that I'm about to move into a 16'x14' basement room with only 6'9" ceilings but this review has me second guessing if I should trade them out for the 206s for the more favorable small form factor. If I'm running the 206 with a sub am I likely to notice a difference? Comparing the reviews it looks like the 208s have broader horizontal dispersion, very slightly smoother/flatter freq response, and lower THD (maybe not audible

though), and of course lower cutoff. Anyone heard them side by side that could describe any audible differences? Will be used for 50/50 music and movies in a stereo system with sub added if needed in the room.
I'll just give you my take on it for what it's worth. I'd go with the form factor you like better. Worst comes the worse if it really doesn't float your boat you can get the other ones but my experience listening to these different models of revel speakers is that the better speaker doesn't necessarily please me better. For whatever reason I like the little f-35s with a subwoofer better than either of those.

Looneybomber

I have f208s that I'm about to move into a 16'x14' basement room with only 6'9" ceilings but this review has me second guessing if I should trade them out for the 206s for the more favorable small form factor. If I'm running the 206 with a sub am I likely to notice a difference? Comparing the reviews it looks like the 208s have broader horizontal dispersion, very slightly smoother/flatter freq response, and lower THD (maybe not audible though), and of course lower cutoff. Anyone heard them side by side that could describe any audible differences? Will be used for 50/50 music and movies in a stereo system with sub added if needed in the room.
My guess is no, only because you may take a loss. Dealers usually want you to trade up. If you traded down, they most likely will give you even less for your trade if they do the trade at all. You would likely be trading your F208s plus cash to then get F206s. Doesn’t make sense to me.

cce32

Forum Donor
I’ve decided to start saving for a proper pair of floor standers. I know these would compare very well to the ascend acoustics but what would be the differences in real use? I prefer a slightly more forward sound and a “wall of music”, which might achieve this a little better?
I went with the ELX Towers after listening to both because I could drive to pick them up from the factory. Both are excellent I wouldn't stress about the choice, for me the demo environments were so different it way overshadowed the difference in sound.

Top Bottom