• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a post on the Tekton FB page where Eric says he "rolls" with Monster CEO Noel Lee, and shows Lee's home setup wih Tekton 1812's and other custom Tekton products.

Eric was probably inspired by Lee to use litigation tactics so freely seeing as Lee is most famous for trying to sue any company that used the word "Monster" in their product name or title.

He also claims Matthew Perry (RIP) had a Tekton setup in his home screening room. No photo or any proof of that though.
I once dealt with a self-aggrandizing type as a client. Even though we were already in the middle of a project, he kept name-dropping people randomly, for absolutely no reason. One time he told me he knew Steve Case and actually tried to dial into his office while we were on a conference call. The secretary didn't take the call. (Mind you: I was billing him for that time.)

Which is my way of saying... not enough grains of salt to take with any of Eric's stories. He makes things up about Amir every time Amir comes up, he stretched the BACCH guy's quotes beyond the limits of even for-marketing-purposes-only accuracy, and that was just this week.

dfiler

AV Rant podcast devotes the last 20 minutes of their most recent episode to the Tektron threats. I'll continue to post links here of the audio community's response. Please do the same if you come across more discussion. That seems like a good way of making the history easily accessible for future reference. This thread is one of the most thorough accountings of Tektron's behavior and interaction with reviewers.

AVRant Podcast #909

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
AV Rant podcast devotes the last 20 minutes of their most recent episode to the Tektron threats. I'll continue to post links here of the audio community's response. Please do the same if you come across more discussion. That seems like a good way of making the history easily accessible for future reference. This thread is one of the most thorough accountings of Tektron's behavior and interaction with reviewers.
Let me save other ASR readers some time. Don't bother viewing the last 20 minutes of that video unless you REALLY have a lot of time on your hands. I definitely wish I had that 20 min of my life back.
They barely talk about Tekton or the "situation". A little bit in the first few minutes, mostly making disclaimers about how they aren't going to go into any details. Then its endless, self-serving, dull blah blah blah about reviews this and gear companies that. At one point Tom (guy on left in video) implies that Erin was sent speakers by Tekton, which supports Tom's statement early in the video (along the lines of "I don't have any idea what the details are on the Tekton thing"). IMHO, this video adds literally nothing to the facts, opinions or discussions on this topic.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thank you for saving these screenshots before the thread vanished.

@amirm, nicely measured (ha!) responses that reflect well on you.
I think @amirm could do worse than to immediately screenshot anything he posts onto any forum that is controlled by Tekton….on the assumption that it may well be deleted by the dictator-in-chief there.

Then he can post the screenshots on ASR, for all to see and any prospective Tekton buyers to note and beware, into perpetuity.

Hi

Not a regular Facebook user but went there on the tekthing page and ...

This is not a good PR for tek-thing. The general tone wasn't favorable to the tactics of the tekthing owner. He will have to do some damage control , his last stunt may result in more than $8k of cancelled orders..

I was pleasantly surprised to realize that there are more people, that are now interested in honest, objective evaluation of audio, than I thought. Call it the ASR effect. I hope it spreads in other segment of the market, for example cameras where reputation and mostly subjective hold great sway.. My pet peeves are Leica cameras, which I don't fully understand why all the fuss, having owned back in the days, a Leica SL-2... Or Car or solar panels or ... bikes or ... really lot of things, where the noise of subjectivism is drowning any attempt at honesty.

Peace.

It's exactly why I'm so irritated by all of this.

For instance, I know a thing or two about loudspeaker design, and I've posted on diyaudio where I showed people how the Tekton array works.

I never considered that I might face legal action. I work hard for my money and the last thing I need is to blow $50,000 in legal fees over a diyaudio post.

When I saw the Tekton array, I instinctively knew that it was a sub-optimal solution. Didn't have to fire up any software to figure this out, it violates basic principles in array design. In particular, it's EXTREMELY hard to get tweeters to behave in a horizontal or vertical line. Trying to get them to behave in a ring is just begging for trouble.

This is basic math; when you have two sources of radiation that arrive at different times, you're going to see comb filtering due to the difference in arrival times. This becomes particularly problematic at high frequencies, when a difference in arrival time of ONE TENTH OF ONE MILLISECOND can cause comb filtering.

But sometimes things don't work as you expect them to, so I fired up Vituixcad to see what it said. And sure enough, the comb filtering was clear as day.

Yes, you can minimize the problem with power tapering. But in general, one nice tweeter with high output capability will beat an array of less expensive tweeters. The only obvious exception to this rule are line arrays, where the designers have chosen to optimize the beamwidth over the smoothness of high frequencies.

Let me save other ASR readers some time. Don't bother viewing the last 20 minutes of that video unless you REALLY have a lot of time on your hands. I definitely wish I had that 20 min of my life back.
They barely talk about Tekton or the "situation". A little bit in the first few minutes, mostly making disclaimers about how they aren't going to go into any details. Then its endless, self-serving, dull blah blah blah about reviews this and gear companies that. At one point Tom (guy on left in video) implies that Erin was sent speakers by Tekton, which supports Tom's statement early in the video (along the lines of "I don't have any idea what the details are on the Tekton thing"). IMHO, this video adds literally nothing to the facts, opinions or discussions on this topic.

lol I had the same reaction. The podcast was about as exciting as listening to someone read names in a phone book.

delta76

Major Contributor
that 20 minutes did not fill itself!
content creators nowadays have to push out content like crazy to mindless watching viewers, so the bar for comprehension, let alone well researched, well presented topics, is really, really low

Sean_S

I couldn't stand those guys for more than a minute or two. Sorry. I feel regretful for them making any money by me clicking on it.

coonmanx

Agreed. I tried watching it but quit about 5 minutes in.

coonmanx

In other forum news.... It appears that the thread over at Audio Karma has disappeared without a trace. I wonder why. Maybe they just got tired of ASR bashing.

Usually a thread just moves further down the page as it gets less posts. I tried to locate it but it is gone. Hmmm....

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ASR bashing
This is such a thing all across all other audio forums. I like looking at systems on SHF sometimes and there was a recent post talking about esthetics and then slamming ASR folks as those who don't care about such things - WTAF is with these people? Rabid I guess. Some systems look nice but others I just have to shake my head at with the garden hose sized cables everywhere and small speakers. If they didn't spend all their money on nonsense they could have far superior sound. :facepalm:

Kip

Not sure if I understand you right, but yes you may be wrong.

A) You shouldn't really give the tonality score much weight, but ideally learn how to read the actual data.

B) Are you saying you don't trust a manufacturer provided measurement? That is fair I suppose, as it could theoretically be falsified. Would be a pretty risk move from a manufacturer to do so though.
For A, considering the score doesn't omit understanding the charts. I have a 3.4 that I like better than a 4.9. I am ceartain the largest caveat impacting what I will like is the fact I am very happy under 70db.

for B We are in the middle of an example where a manufacturer insists they should be in control of all published metrics collected and reported for their products.
ASR has shown examples where people taking measurements have changed the data gathering to smooth out things and suppress illustration of resonances.
There is even an example of a Manufacturer who continues to suggest Amir had inaccuracies even after he demonstrated Intermodulation Distortion.

Independent, un-biased review is essential.

Last edited:

dfiler

It's a multi-hour podcast format, so yeah, not scripted and a longer format discussion. The discussion is about their experience with this topic, not a commentary on Tekton in particular.

coonmanx

This is such a thing all across all other audio forums. I like looking at systems on SHF sometimes and there was a recent post talking about esthetics and then slamming ASR folks as those who don't care about such things - WTAF is with these people? Rabid I guess. Some systems look nice but others I just have to shake my head at with the garden hose sized cables everywhere and small speakers. If they didn't spend all their money on nonsense they could have far superior sound. :facepalm:
Frankly, that is one of the reasons that I quit participating over on AK. If you need to tear someone else down in order to feel good about yourself then there is something wrong with you. It's all a bunch of nonsense frankly...

Also I care about both things. Aesthetics and performance. You can have both. But like you said, those garden hose size cables are ridiculous...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll continue to post links here of the audio community's response.
Cheers. And cheers to the guys that made the screenshots. And cheers to the guy that reuploaded Tektons videos.
It's all very unlikely and i wouldn't have believed any of it without proof.

Sean_S

Watching videos when you want direct information is very tedious for me. I can barely watch documentaries unless they're jam packed with facts and not people injecting their personality. I never watch audio or video equipment review videos--Sorry, Amir. Much quicker and easier to read through a written review.

Victor Martell

Watching videos when you want direct information is very tedious for me. I can barely watch documentaries unless they're jam packed with facts and not people injecting their personality. I never watch audio or video equipment review videos--Sorry, Amir. Much quicker and easier to read through a written review.

While definitely a personal preference, is one I share - ALWAYS FASTER TO READ!

Not sure if it is the same for you - audiobooks are also an issue - just cannot sit thru a person reading to me at a glacial pace. Same when my family wants to read me something... err.. NO :D Just send me the link please.

Anyways, not sure why I wanted to share - back to Tekton...

Thomas Lutro

Forum Donor
I kind of like people, even when they're being people, provided they're likeable, of course. .:)

Top Bottom