• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for advice with digital organ audio

njsmk

Hi, first-time poster and audio beginner here. I have a slightly unusual requirement that I have been researching for awhile and am looking for some expert input into. Thanks in advance for any assistance, I appreciate the generosity of any time and effort taken to respond.

As background, I am a musician currently building a digital organ at home. It uses Hauptwerk software to play real organ samples using midi key and pedal boards. These sample sets are generally made up of 3 stereo sets - one recorded up close to the pipes, a middle distance that captures both direct sound and acoustic, and a rear set that captures primarily the acoustic. A typical audio setup will include at least 6 channels - two or more nearfield monitors to handle the close up perspective and a stereo pair (of whatever) for each of the more diffuse perspectives. Generally there is a sub in there as most larger organs sound down to 16Hz. Hauptwerk includes a pretty full-featured mixer for controlling output and routing.

I've invested a fair bit into building the instrument, so I am limiting myself to the $3,000-$4,000 range to complete the initial audio system, with the ambition to improve components over the next few years.

The performance room is 3.3m x 4.2m with a ceiling height of 2.5m, that I plan to acoustically treat as required. Starting with the audio interface, I already have a Focusrite 18i20 kicking about which I figured to use. To play the rear and the middle distance sets, I was thinking about 2 stereo pairs of Elac DBR62s. The rear pair will be at the back of the room facing the player's back, the middle channels will be to the left and right next to the instrument, angled in. For the close-up, direct stereo sample, I was looking at the Kali IN-6, planning to position them within a meter either side of the instrument console. I've also been eyeing up the SVS SB3000 to handle the low end.

I was thinking the Elacs because of reviews - they're affordable, apparently flat, good low end, and dispersion seems desirable for their placement. Most important, my wife doesn't object to their aesthetic, whereas a full room of Kali monitors was not looked on favourably. I have no idea about Amps, but figured the reviews on this site would be a place to start. I'd shortlisted TOPPING PA5 on this basis; I believe I will need 2 of these. Are they appropriate, given my use case?

In terms of volume, the instrument will probably never be played super loud. IRL a pipe organ on full will have 90-100 dB SPL A-weighted out in the building. I'll almost always be quieter than that for the sake of family and neighbours.

Betraying my naivety here, but:

- Are the speakers, sub and amp choices "sound"?
- Should I be mixing the active and passive speakers, and different brands?
- Is my assumption that I take a stereo channel from the interface to an amp then to the passives the best way to wire this? I believe I can handle crossover for the sub channel in the Hauptwerk mixer.

Any suggestions on putting this all together, or improving within the budget are most welcome.

Top Bottom