• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My son bought a cassette deck!

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still have all of the cassettes I recorded in the late 70's through to the late 90's.

My later (especially post '85) recordings still sound really good.

I had a Technics RS-B18 deck which I spent a lot of time modifying, including fitting a really good REC/PB head.

I never used Dolby, but the Technics mentioned above did have DBX and I used that with a few tapes, however many of the tapes were for use in the car so I didn't make a great deal of use of it.

With regard to Dolby - I found that one could never get reliable results - sure, the hiss was reduced, but compatibility between decks (even well calibrated ones) was always a bit hit and miss, with tapes either sounding dull, or slight pumping effects amongst other things.

Pre-recorded tapes encoded with Dolby never sounded right.

I still have a Technics deck (this time an RS-B605 which has DBX) although it's only used very rarely these days. Usually when I fancy listening to one of my old tapes that I don't yet have on CD.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
OK, so I am usually a "to each his own" kind of guy. But I stumbled yesterday on this thread over at Tapeheads regarding a cassette/DAT/DVD collection. Anyone who wants to feel better about their audio spending and/or hoarding, have a look - and weep. Some serious mental illness going on here. I cannot imagine what he has spent and is obviously continuing to spend to amass this stuff. I love cassette and enjoy keeping several working decks in play. But this is something very, very different.

Makes a $360,000 turntable and $5,000 power cables look almost reasonable!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OK, so I am usually a "to each his own" kind of guy. But I stumbled yesterday on this thread over at Tapeheads regarding a cassette/DAT/DVD collection. Anyone who wants to feel better about their audio spending and/or hoarding, have a look - and weep. Some serious mental illness going on here. I cannot imagine what he has spent and is obviously continuing to spend to amass this stuff. I love cassette and enjoy keeping several working decks in play. But this is something very, very different.

Why should I be weeping?

Looks pretty cool to me.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

I mean its excessive but it's not bad. We all collect stuff that is considered a waste of space, time and money to others and some people even think Jay Leno's car collection is a waste. It's there own interactive museums and we should at least respect the effort even if we don't understand why.

Chevy HHR Collection:
9g1y7cjvg1ab1.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/RoastMyCar/comments/14qv777

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still have one of these, but apparently they are a bit dogsh1te, the mechanism is the TCM190 which is as unreliable as the UK rail service. I barely used it after buying it new for the price of a bag of deluxe chips, now I know why. It hasn't been used in over a decade, just sits in my rack for aesthetic reasons. I may attach a plug and see if still works, but I have to say from memory it was close to the original vinyl recording I made from my LP12; certainly way closer to anything I'd owned or used before.
s-l1200.jpg

However, my early days of hifi and music was centred around this: It was an absolute tape chomper, a C90 was OK from a reputable brand, but we never had much cash as kids so Boots C120s were the default choice, initially anyway, but it chewed several collections to death as I recall.

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom