• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My views on audio reviewers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
First ( equal first with bankers) against the wall come the revolution apart from SIY of course.
Keith

Descartes

Major Contributor
The problem is that many of these reviewers are paid by these manufacturers through marketing in their journals and very often are just pushing products!
It is helpful to see multiple independent scientific measurements first to weed out the lame ones and then experience the product yourself!
There is so much biases in the audio industry that if the pharmaceutical companies were like the hifi industry every time a pharmaceutical drug is on the market it would kill half the patients!

DonR

Major Contributor
The problem is that many of these reviewers are paid by these manufacturers through marketing in their journals and very often are just pushing products!
It is helpful to see multiple independent scientific measurements first to weed out the lame ones and then experience the product yourself!
There is so much biases in the audio industry that if the pharmaceutical companies were like the hifi industry every time a pharmaceutical drug is on the market it would kill half the patients!
We need an FDA for hifi.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Every time you say goodbye I cry a little. How can reviewers look their children in the eye.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say, even as someone who does peruse the audiophile world on youtube and enjoys the experience for the most part: as a personal gripe about youtube audio reviewers, many of them start to get on my nerves. I have the distinct impression that these folks are just the type
to do this because they love the sound of their own voice. I won't name names at the moment, but certain reviewers strike me as the guy at the party who is so enamored of his own opinion, holding forth loudly end endlessly Just Won't Shut The Hell Up! I just want to escape that party.
So I often don't last through lots of the videos.

(I should say specifically though that Erin does NOT for me fit this category!!! And for me neither does Amirm...who is certainly confident and opinionated, but I want to keep hearing his views - his videos are so informative, his opinions well substantiated in his presentations).

OP
tomelex

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to say, even as someone who does peruse the audiophile world on youtube and enjoys the experience for the most part: as a personal gripe about youtube audio reviewers, many of them start to get on my nerves. I have the distinct impression that these folks are just the type
to do this because they love the sound of their own voice. I won't name names at the moment, but certain reviewers strike me as the guy at the party who is so enamored of his own opinion, holding forth loudly end endlessly Just Won't Shut The Hell Up! I just want to escape that party.
So I often don't last through lots of the videos.

(I should say specifically though that Erin does NOT for me fit this category!!! And for me neither does Amirm...who is certainly confident and opinionated, but I want to keep hearing his views - his videos are so informative, his opinions well substantiated in his presentations).

You know, when I was a young man, it always astonished me to go to an audio salon and have some guy in their fifties or fourties talking about the superb high end of the system we were listening too, my god the thing was screeching highs way out of proportion to reality, but even then, I knew that folks lost high frequency hearing with age or over exposure to loud sounds over time. There are just a million variables in reviewing subjective things. Now, any of us can compare and contrast systems when switched rapidly if there is enough difference there for us to hear, given there is no clipping going on, I mean really, every speaker system sounds different without disecting the contributions of electronics chain.

Amir has demonstrated through critical listener training and also on the "why believe facts" forum when only the objectivists would participate in hearing test or comparison threads, I was also one who would participate in those, while the subjectivists and loudest mouths there, NOT ONE ever participated. Very telling indeed. So, yes, I trust Amirs ability to describe what he hears.

Speakers can move the image closer to you, further away, compress it, flatten it, all kinds of weird things, and these can be described, and some electronics can affect these things as well, a case in point is a speaker, a single non crossed over full range or not, a stereo pair of those will for most folks image a whole lot different than two or three way types, and of course different amp technologies can also do these things, but not everyone can hear them, nor on every song. Tight bass, sloppy bass etc can all be heard by most folks if the gear is different enough. The problem is, if you are not in the room, with your head in a vice, could you hear the difference, so reviewer says this kind of chocolate is better than that kind, well I can prefer the sour taste of hershey chocolate ove European chocolate, but sometimes it is the other way around, all comes back to what we like. Yes, you can learn, to be able to hear better, as Amir has said and others that went through the Harmen school.

Top Bottom