• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 343 86.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
I know * 6, but does the chart show 108?
index.php

A rough average of the above and calc for you;

110.45/6.02=18.34

107/6.02=17.77

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm talking about is a multitone test
I see, apologies;

index.php

So we can see (ignoring the PSU noise spikes at 60/180Hz, which probably shouldn't be ignored, conservative to start with) that the multitone is around 110dB... so 110/6.02=18.27, then rounding down to circa 18 bits.

JSmith

Tangband

Major Contributor
I can see some advantage buying this product.

1. Its a know brand, it probably gonna be here in two years.
2. You can buy it in a store and you get guarranty - This is big advantage.
3. There are probably no fake alibaba IC:s inside (?)…or am I fooling myself ?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

1. Its a know brand, it probably gonna be here in two years.
2. You can buy it in a store and you get guarranty - This is big advantage.
3. There are probably no fake alibaba IC:s inside (?)…or am I fooling myself ?
Did you read any of the horror stories on the Roon forum link?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Reports earlier in the thread confirm some customers paid up front and waited up to 2 years to receive their product. Others still waiting apparently... also owners of the first model were told they could get a discount on the newer model. I believe that didn't happen either.

To me, this is a company that can't be trusted. They seem more interested in marketing a toroidal transformer as some kind of benefit (when the first model had a SMPS) than anything else.

The lack of working DAC filter options is another indicator of beware IMO (the filter selection worked in the first model).

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, apologies;

index.php

So we can see (ignoring the PSU noise spikes at 60/180Hz, which probably shouldn't be ignored, conservative to start with) that the multitone is around 110dB... so 110/6.02=18.27, then rounding down to circa 18 bits.
That is with 192 kHz content. With 44.1 kHz content, this thing would look drastically different, which is why I would plead to @amirm to include a 44.1 kHz multitone (same amount of tones) in cases that show a leaky filter.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
That is with 192 kHz content.
True of course, however Amir mentioned this in the Emotiva thread;
Multitone test sample came from Audio Precision and was at 192 kHz so I used it that way. I also have a 44.1 kHz one but it only has 7 tones. I have used that from time to time when the device doesn't support 192 kHz. By using the standard AP files we give a chance to others to replicate the measurements as opposed to something I cook up.

JSmith

hearone

Forum Donor
Just goes to show get a RME ADI-2 FS and a Wiim streamer. Less than $1500. If you want speakers, get a power amp. Done.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True of course, however Amir mentioned this in the Emotiva thread;
Yes, I know. You don't have to replace one with the other, just add it additionally when aplicable. The multitone is perfect for showing what these slow filters actually do.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Because this is what the industry deserves. Peddling poorly engineered products for way too much money using all the media enforcements they can muster.

Anyone interested in audio should celebrate exposing these products for what they are.
This has been said elsewhere, but compare audio with, say, enthusiast (DSLR, MILC) cameras and lenses. You get what you pay for. There's no one getting away with subjective BS. The only big subjective thing, apart from handling/ergonomics obviously, seems to be "bokeh", and even that is no mystery but down to real optical physics. (I avoided using the word "objective" for obvious reasons.)

Joffy1780

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I can't imagine it being pretty, one customer was told he shouldn't be using the phono stage for his Rega P8, as it's not up to the job.
Yes probably you are right.
That's actually a pity, the whole package of having dac preamp and phono stage combined with roon core is a neat idea and if performance was up there or/and price was lower, it would be very interesting

IamJF

Back to stereophile review, their measurements noted that the filter setting would NOT change no matter what you did in the menu. The same thing was true in my sample:
View attachment 351819
That review was in September of last year. I checked my sample and firmware was up to date yet this bug remains. :(
Wow ... what a desaster.
That a linear power supply only gives worse performance is very often - you need to be very careful to get clean voltages. And it's really cramped in there, very hard to have no influences.

But not working filter options ... that's a slap in the face of the customer. How can this leave factory, you need to have a quality test of a 5k product - and a wrong frequency response MUST be detected! Even more so that the issue is known for months now ...

AND my "favourite" scam - write about the 130dB dynamic range of the chipset and deliver ... 20dB less!
I always blamed MiniDSP for doing so - but these where cheap units. They changed now and their latest units improved a lot.
MYTEC playing this game ... is shocking.

AdrianusG

Thanks for the review Amirm.

It's strange to see such a "beautiful" device inside and out with performance that I would define as modest.

Yes, you're right, I fear that too many producers, and not just in the audio sector, once they "arrive" invest more in marketing than in development. One more test would have given him the chance to adjust his aim... too bad.
I would like to see the Ferrum Wandla tested here, just to see how that performs, that company (HEM) used to built the Mytek stuff before they started something on their own.
This Wandla is also a highly regarded product (by the audiophile press) at least, it costs just a bit over half of this Mytek though.

Not that i'm gonna buy one and sent it to Amir half across the world just for that sake though:)

AdrianusG

Some 2 years ago, perhaps a bit longer, (i forgot), I was very strongly considering to buy their Mytek Liberty II DAC follow up of the type 1 that came before, it got rave reviews from all the usual suspects, it ticked all my boxes and the price at the time in Holland, 1499 Euro's was acceptable for me.

I would have bought it on the spot based on all those reviews, there was just one problem...... there was literally no place to buy it from, they simply could not produce the unit and none of the shops/dealers had any stock or could get there hands on it.

I monitored it for some 6-8 months back then without any success, still no stock anywhere, I eventually gave up on it, now i'm kind a glad i did, seeing this result.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing »Made in Poland« I would gladly purchase is Krakauer sausages. At a more reasonable price, that is.
There are lots of high quality goods coming from Poland.

None of us are in the market for this, but the U.S. Army is purchasing the Piorun MANPAD as one of the next generation replacements for the venerable Stinger.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
There are lots of high quality goods coming from Poland.

None of us are in the market for this, but the U.S. Army is purchasing the Piorun MANPAD as one of the next generation replacements for the venerable Stinger.
Well you couldn’t be more wrong. I just ordered a half dozen. You just never know when you will need a good Stinger alternative. :D

Top Bottom