• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Unity Atom HE amplifier and speaker pairing

Gaborm1

I decided to join the NAIM family and purchase a Naim Unity Atom HE, as 90% of my music listening is with headphones. However, I want to connect the Atom HE to an amplifier. It is clear that the Atom HE has a pre-amp; therefore, a power amp would be the best solution.

I am considering both the active speaker and the amp+ passive speaker option.
My active speaker selection is the AE. I will visit a dealer over the weekend who has a demo setup with the Atom HE.

Regarding the passive speaker options, I'm considering the SF Lumina II or, the Sonetto II driven by an Arcam PA240 or the Arcam Radia series. My local dealer suggested Arcam vs. NAD as a better match with the Atom HE, citing Class G as a significant advantage. However, as I'll be listening to the systems at low volume, I'm wondering if a Class AB amp might beave XLR input like the PA240, but I'm unsure if XLR would significantly improve my setup over RCA. I've checked some forums, but the opinions are mixed, so I'm reaching out for your expert advice. The Radia doesn’t have XLR input compared to the PA240, but I am not sure XLR would improve my setup over RCA. Checked some forums, and the opinions are mixed.

What do you think about the active vs. passive route? Is XLR a priority over RCA?
Please do not submit your comments based on £££, as I can do the math myself.
:grinning:

staticV3

Master Contributor
My active speaker selection is the AE.
What's an AE?

Regarding the passive speaker options, I'm considering the SF Lumina II
Awful response: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/sonus_faber_lumina_ii/

I would advise against it, especially if you want faithful audio reproduction.

or, the Sonetto II
Looks just as bad, honestly:

OP
G

Gaborm1

What's an AE?

Awful response: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/sonus_faber_lumina_ii/

I would advise against it, especially if you want faithful audio reproduction.

Looks just as bad, honestly:
AE1 + Acoustic Energy AE1 speaker.

I have yet to test the Sonetto II, but I tested the Lumina II with different NAD gears (C700, M10v2, C298), and I liked it. The Lumina II Is a newer model from SF, but some reviewers who tested it said the Sonetto II is better than the Lumina II.

Top Bottom