• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with audio setup please

animalwithin

Gents, I splurged on my first audio system after dreaming about it for years and now I'm in need of some assistance with respect to how to connect it all together.

-Speakers: a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.3
-Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon
-Amplifier: Cayin MT-45MK3

I think I still need a phono stage to connect all of this together? What is the signal chain? Turntable -> phono -> amp -> speakers?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Your integrated amplifier only has line inputs. The turntable doesn't appear to have a built in phono stage, so a phono preamplifier is required. The ART DJ Pre II measures OK.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you go to the reviews section here, click on the "Audio Electronics" link, then enter "Phono" into the search box, you can find which phono preamplifiers have been reviewed on ASR. If you click on the tab for "Recommended", you will get a simple list of recommended phono preamplifiers.

The best criteria to look for are accurate adherence to the RIAA equalisation times, low noise and good overload margin. I own the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo which I think works well.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
A TCC TC-750 (https://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html) phono preamp will feed your amplifier just fine.
Ah, the trusty TC-750 in all its 3-transistor glory with ceramic capacitors in the RIAA and 34ish dB gain. I'm not saying it's not going to get the job done, but asking for a decent opamp and some film capacitors doesn't feel like demanding the impossible in this day and age...

Top Bottom