• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Phono Power Supply Issue

Mean & Green

I have just purchased this phono power supply. It is for powering both turntable and phono stage simultaneously.

The only reason I’ve bought it is to free up a mains outlet and feed my TT and pre amp from one mains outlet via this power box. My devices are also Pro-Ject products electrically compatible with the power supply.

Installing the power supply creates an issue where as soon as the turntable is switched on motor noise is heard through the speakers. This is without a record playing just the platter spinning.

Reverting back to the standard separate wall wart supplies for the TT and phono pre amp fixes the problem. The problem only occurs with the new power supply in the chain. I’m not 100% convinced it’s a ground loop because the sound heard through the speakers changes with motor speed and stops as soon as the platter stops.

My whole system consisting of integrated amp, digital sources and phono setup is all run off the same mains strip plugged into a wall outlet with no issues until trying out this phono power supply. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on?

Naturally I’ll be returning the product, but I’d just like some opinions as to what is happening here.

Top Bottom