• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parlor trick exposed

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Two ways. One you can just select it all and copy it into a document on your computer. The other is to take a snapshot of it as a picture. For that on Windows use the "snipping tool." Draw a rectangle around the part of the browser that has that text in it, and then save it.

Ok, I never used that in the past...I should explore. ...Thx

Is what I did also valid:

1. I highlighted both links in full text, and emailed both to my brother.
2. I copied full text from both links, and I pasted them right here for good saving measure.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does. In that sense, Audioquest did a better job explaining their case than what these guys are doing. They should have first explained if they did or did not do what is alleged.

I agree. Not that I think that Audioquest's explanaitions made much sense, but at least they had the decency to discuss the matter on public forums.

But I guess that's the thing with these faith-based audio companies. They are fully aware of the fact that no matter what they're caught doing, the faithful will keep buying their products anyway.
They really have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, I never used that in the past...I should explore. ...Thx

Is what I did also valid:

1. I highlighted both links in full text, and emailed both to my brother.
2. I copied full text from both links, and I pasted them right here for good saving measure.
Sure but only in this forum software. It nicely preserves all the formatting when you cut and past. Using it in other forum software would not work nearly as well.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Thx Amir for the Snipping Tool; I just experimented with it for the first time ever, and it worked just fine. :cool:
That's one more tool in my arsenal.

* It is sad that Nordost would go to that extreme with Mark.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So who's next? Do we face legal action for stating our opinions or questioning shady science presented by the big cable company's? Mark's not the only one getting on the snake oil peddlers. Gene DellaSala and the crew at Audioholics have posted some pretty scathing videos on the cable industry. Here's the retraction Mark was pressured to post.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5677
Following my participation and attendance at the 2016 AXPONA Show, I wrote several posts reporting on a series of power demos held in room 450 by the high-end cable company Nordost of Holliston, MA. This morning I opened a FEDEX letter containing a 7-page “CEASE AND DESIST LETTER”. It describes and quotes from the articles that I posted. Per the DEMAND contained in the document written by attorney Rodney E. Gould, I have removed the original posts.

The letter also demands a retraction “prior to the institution of litigation”. This post is that retraction. Some of the statements made in the posts of April 18, 21, and 22 are described as malicious and libelous in the “CEASE AND DESIST LETTER”. Therefore, I wish to retract those statements because they were unsubstantiated.

Mark “Dr. AIX” Waldrep, Ph.D.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It is our responsibilty as citizens to be alert and teach our children well so that they can improve the imperfections of the world we live in.
...Not just in our audio hobby but in all life's avenues and all over our globe, the planet we live on and which is all ours to take care of and not pollute it and including all the people in it. ...Physically, biologically, mentally and effectively.

Nordost is not taking responsibility for their latest action.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Humm, He also felt pressured to delete a post written by a reader critical of the Nordost demo before Mark ever wrote of his experiences. Now that is some big time BS.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5649
Patrick
APRIL 20, 2016 AT 7:01 PM
[NOTE] This comment which described an experience an attendee of the AXPONA show had has been removed following my receipt of a “CEASE AND DESIST LETTER” from Rodney E. Gould of the law firm of Rubin, Hay & Gould, P.C. in Framingham, MA, which represents the Nordost Corporation of Holliston, MA.

THE COMMENT BY PATRICK WAS REMOVED APRIL 30, 2016 AT 9:32 AM.

Dynamix

So who's next? Do we face legal action for stating our opinions or questioning shady science presented by the big cable company's? Mark's not the only one getting on the snake oil peddlers. Gene DellaSala and the crew at Audioholics have posted some pretty scathing videos on the cable industry. Here's the retraction Mark was pressured to post.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5677
Following my participation and attendance at the 2016 AXPONA Show, I wrote several posts reporting on a series of power demos held in room 450 by the high-end cable company Nordost of Holliston, MA. This morning I opened a FEDEX letter containing a 7-page “CEASE AND DESIST LETTER”. It describes and quotes from the articles that I posted. Per the DEMAND contained in the document written by attorney Rodney E. Gould, I have removed the original posts.

The letter also demands a retraction “prior to the institution of litigation”. This post is that retraction. Some of the statements made in the posts of April 18, 21, and 22 are described as malicious and libelous in the “CEASE AND DESIST LETTER”. Therefore, I wish to retract those statements because they were unsubstantiated.

Mark “Dr. AIX” Waldrep, Ph.D.

Not that I had much respect for Nordost to begin with, but this is absolutely absurd. What a joke.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So who's next? Do we face legal action for stating our opinions or questioning shady science presented by the big cable company's?
I am not a lawyer so can't give proper advice. If you are in US of course they can serve you like they did with Mark. Outside of US I don't think it is so easy.

As far as I know, you as posters enjoy pretty wide latitude with respect to what you say on a social forum. The standard is different for me as the host I think.

Wonder if they did come after us, whether we could raise sufficient funds to fight back and supina what they actually are doing at these shows. They better have their nose very, very clean!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Us having wide latitude! ...And some audio cable's manufacturers don't have wide latitude...
They also have wide ... what's the word in English for that (in French is "front" or "toupet").
...Deceiving audacity.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also saved copies of the blog as Bob did. I was tempted to post them and Nordost's actions around the various audiophile sites but fear that could backfire in a penalizing action against Mark Waldrep. :mad:
One good thing may come of it. I think the likes of AudioQuest, Nordost, and all will be a lot more careful in the future. They may have to hire David Copperfield or Criss Angel to pull off future demos. LOL

Dynamix

One good thing may come of it. I think the likes of AudioQuest, Nordost, and all will be a lot more careful in the future.

I fear they wont. Like I said earlier, these big names can pretty much get away with murder. The people who bought in to their nonsensical marketing claims in the first place will keep throwing money at them regardless of what they are caught doing. Their sales are based on pure faith, not logic and common sense. And with faith comes denialism and blind following.

I expect business as usual.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
AJ was the first one to made us aware of the two links, so thanks AJ.

* Is AudioQuest also a full honest audio cable manufacturer? I've read some people who are not very happy, but I don't know exactly why.
I do have few AudioQuest cables myself (HDMI) but they weren't that expensive, plus I got a reasonable discount on them.
Also their music record label have many Bluesman artists I like and they sound quite good in my system. But I'm here to learn and balance the truth. The music on AudioQuest Music record label (CD, SACD, LP) is good, very good. The artist musicians who record in their studio, I like them, a lot.

Monster Cable, I do have couple digital coaxial interconnects @ $100 a piece (one meter) that I bought a long time ago, but I will never buy another cable from them, just for the principle of values I respect.

♦ When we read a solid article from a well respected audio industry pro, like Mark; we should make others aware of such articles, and perhaps have a very polite and respectable thread only about the solid revelations of deceptive practices in our audio industry, which is our love and passion because we like the music we like with integrity and emotional verve. Awareness, nothing else. ...Knowledge...because music matters. ...No hocus pocus froot loop mickey mouse stuff.

Last edited:

Dynamix

No, Audioquest is far from honest. Pure snake oil.

That said, their cables are well built, and I actually still have an Audioquest interconnect in my system that I bought like 18 years ago when I still believed in the flowery prose of reviewers and marketing departments. It still does its job, so I see no good reason to replace it with something else.

Would I buy an Audioquest product or recommend them to someone else today though? Hell no.

Dynamix

- Mit?
- Transparent?
Some of those are ultra expensive, they deliver their financial musical worth?
...Many abundant audio "purification" claims here too.

They probably will deliver their "financial musical worth", but the thing is you can walk in to a musical instrument shop and buy cables from the likes of Klotz, and they will sound every bit as good for a mere fraction of the price.

tomelex

Forum Donor
You know, if someone in that room were recording real time, then they have the difference in loudness recorded, and should contact Mark, who could then not ceass and desist and infact counter sue. Bet that would be a quick out of court settlement and $$ for Mark.

Dynamix

You know, if someone in that room were recording real time, then they have the difference in loudness recorded, and should contact Mark, who could then not ceass and desist and infact counter sue. Bet that would be a quick out of court settlement and $$ for Mark.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that cease and desist letter isn't worth more than the paper it's printed on.

Top Bottom