• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power switch for amplifiers (hypex), dac (minidsp flex) harmfull?

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members,

I use a power switch to kill power for all devices in my dedicated listening room because I don't like unneccessary power consumption.

The set is composed of a RP4, MiniDSP flex (balanced) and two Hypex amplifier (NC500 MP for the sub and NC502MP for the speakers).

Recently I've put the Flex on a separate socket due to an occassional software fail after cutting the power (DSP FAIL! Error).

Would ik hurt the amplifiers or RP4 to kill power this way? I would be happy to switch the amps off if it were better. The answers on the internet are somewhat vague to me.

Kind regards,

Geert

droid2000

The power switch on the amps cuts the power in the same way as a power switch. So the amps don't care.

I was abruptly cutting power to an RP4 for a while until it was replaced by something else and it never cared.

OP
G

Geertidow

Thanks, that is good news. I'll keep the MiniDSP flex on power (standby) because I don't want too many software errors.
But it's just an easy way to turn stuff off in my house.

nutzandvoltz

Thanks, that is good news. I'll keep the MiniDSP flex on power (standby) because I don't want too many software errors.
But it's just an easy way to turn stuff off in my house.
I don't think it really hurts it, its just powering on in an unknown state. Does it do it every time you cycle the power by the plug? Your first post says no. I have heard of devices that will give you a dsp error if you adjust something and didn't save it, but cycled its power.

Raspberry Pi4b is an interesting device, but if you use it to power your stuff on, you should turn on the dsp, wait a second then turn on the amps.
I use one for lighting control and monitoring in my plant room and one I set up as a mini personal computer. That one, I made first and build out the power switch circuit they didn't complete on the board. The designer is a little off in the head, because he told me the raspi4 is not a mobile processor chip set. However, he used the same power regulator chip most phones used before they switched to other specialized chips. It was a simple resistor chip array and a couple of diodes need to complete it. After that, the power switch works like any phone, you hold the power button down and its on. I don't have reboot, but I guess I could figure out that via an i/o pin to maintain the power on hold circuit, but it powering off on reboot isn't much of an issue since I can hold down the power switch while it reboots.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
the only thing I'd "worry about" is if you get a loud click, or pop, or thump from the speakers, and then I'd worry about the speakers, not the electronics. And of course turn-/turn-off noises can be annoying.

And in that case it would be best to turn the power amp on last, and off first.

OP
G

Geertidow

No click, pop or hum. But keeping the minidsp on standby is acceptable to me in terms of power consumption.

carpman

Just read this thread and wanted to check before I blow stuff up.

I'm doing this and having just checked I get no "click, pop or hum" just an annoying woman saying "entering A U X mode" (which I can just about live with):
main-switch-as-class-d-amp-on-off-switch.jpg

Just wanted confirmation that this is not going to damage the PSU or amp.

The mini amp is tucked away and I'd rather not have to play with its buttons and knobs which remind me of what a cheapskate I am. :)

Thanks,
C.

Top Bottom