• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

review Apollon Audio class D purifi 1ET7040SA amp

noiwk1991

hey guys ill copy paste here a review i wrote in a discord group about apollon audio and the amp i bought from them its kinda long review so if you dont want to read please skip into the "TLDR" at the end !
hello guys i want to give a review here about Apollon audio class D amp important for me to say that im not biased and this is my own personal opinion after getting this amp and using it for some time now... i also want to mention that i didnt know what to expect because i took big gamble with this amp. so ill split this review into 2 different subjects the amp its self and apollon audio as a company and my buying experience with them . 1: apollon audio :
so ill first start with apollon as a company their support so far and the buying experience ! the person i talked to from the very start was Tibor i think hes the owner of the company ? Tibor is very smart and knowledgeful person and also very straightforward honest nice and understanding. so i looked for a power amp and i had 0 clue about class D amps i avoided them but i asked around about if there are good class D amps because having a smaller amp and not 50kg box is a nice bonus for me.. people linked me to some costume made class D amps companies and i contacted a few of them including apollon audio. out of all of them Tiborg was the most useful one who provided me with alot of details and explained alot ! also whe you look at apollon audio web the amps does look higher quality than the rest . tibor spent alot of time answering all my questions and they were kinda annoying questions i believe because i had alot of concerns and fears going into a class D amp and ordering it online but really.. he gave me the best support that i ever received from any company ever . i believe me and tibor exchanged around 150+ emails ! and he been very honest about everything with 0 misleading 0 attempt for upsale or anything like that ! which made me really trust him and them as company ! i also want to notice you that even after buying and getting the amp he kept replaying answering questions and guding me though everything ! overall for sevice and support : 10/10 never seen better !

2: about the amp. here it comes wow.. where to start.. ok so first of all when i got it.. i already expected a gorgeous amp based on the pictures.. but let me tell you ... i was shocked when i opened the box and saw the amp in real.. the pictures on the website does not do justice with this beauty of an amp.. its visual appearnce is a mind blowing . but its not even the start ... the quality (build quality) is honestly second to none.. everything about this product when you hold it or look at it.. screams high end quality and more ! i think.. ive never seen anything in my life that looks and feel so high quality.. the amazing case the XLR the RCA gosh the apollon binding posts the options in gain and even when you peak inside the amp through the air flow holes the inside is just as beautiful and you wont see a cable walking free .. i honestly dont have enough words to describe the quality of this amp.. appearance / build quality : ovbiously 10/10 or trilion /trilion . but how does it sound? i my self had alot of concerns cause its a class D amp and its my first experience with a class D after hearing so many bad things about class D in general how they dont sound good.. well guess what? an awakening experience .. it sounds AMAZING .. its so clean and so neutral with no coloration yet its not over bright or too light sound .. i use a pretty decent processor with it (arcam AV41) and guys.. the sound is mind blowing. its kinda the feelings of close your eyes and can listen forever after every song even if you gotta go you just want just 1 more song and can without notice stay and listen for few more hours.. i personally love everything bit of it.. its not colored or too warm and its not too bright either but its very neutral my speakers are neutral too.. i dont know how it would sound in a different setup but its stunning sound quality in mine ! everyone who is scared of class D amps i encourage you to find a way to try it !
sound quality :10/10 for me

TLDR : if review too long here is a short TLDR

honestly both apollon as company and my buying experience and the amp its self are 10/10 in my book to my hears this amp is the highest quality product ive ever seen and it sounds just as such it might not be cheap product but in my opinion based on the quality of it it might even be underpriced
this amp is beautiful and sound beautiful i really do love it !
thanks for anyone who read!

wdlvwdlv

Thank you for this review. I've been watching this company for some time, meanwhile learning more about Class D amplification before making a purchase. Hopefully, I can get a budget together soon to make a purchase.

Question, are you based out of the U.S.? I only ask because I am curious as to how long your shipment took. In any case, how is the amp, a couple of weeks after your purchase?

Lastly what speakers are you driving with the amp? And will you consider changing the Op Amp anytime in the future? Looking forward to your response.

OP
N

noiwk1991

Thank you for this review. I've been watching this company for some time, meanwhile learning more about Class D amplification before making a purchase. Hopefully, I can get a budget together soon to make a purchase.

Question, are you based out of the U.S.? I only ask because I am curious as to how long your shipment took. In any case, how is the amp, a couple of weeks after your purchase? Looking forward to your response.

BTW, I forgot to ask about what speakers are you driving with the amp? Lastly, are you considering changing the Op Amp anytime in the future?
Hello there my friend. I dont think you can buy any better amp at this price its shockingly good.

Im from israel the shipmemt literally took couple of days. It was insanely fast shipping but israel isnt far from eu.

My speakers are QA concept 50 as front
QA concept 90 as center and QA concept 30 as surround.

Im not considering replacing anything about this amp for time being. But im curious why would i want to replace the opamp?

wdlvwdlv

Appreciate the prompt response. Thank you for letting me know about the quick shipment.

For me, I am looking to drive Magnepan speakers, particularly the LRS. I was looking at the 1ET400A ST or the Mini but I think the 1ET7040SA ST will be a better fit as it can accommodate much lower ohm loads.

Regarding the Op Amp replacement, it is a way to fine tune the amplifier's sound. Similar to the idea of changing vacuum tubes except that the change is digital. The option of Op Amp selection was available when you purchased. I personally think will be confident in switching it out myself as getting a different Op Amp from Apollon is pricier than getting it direct. Perhaps this is something you will get into in the future.

One other question, have you needed to play with the gain settings or is the default just fine?

OP
N

noiwk1991

Appreciate the prompt response. Thank you for letting me know about the quick shipment.

For me, I am looking to drive Magnepan speakers, particularly the LRS. I was looking at the 1ET400A ST or the Mini but I think the 1ET7040SA ST will be a better fit as it can accommodate much lower ohm loads.

Regarding the Op Amp replacement, it is a way to fine tune the amplifier's sound. Similar to the idea of changing vacuum tubes except that the change is digital. The option of Op Amp selection was available when you purchased. I personally think will be confident in switching it out myself as getting a different Op Amp from Apollon is pricier than getting it direct. Perhaps this is something you will get into in the future.

One other question, have you needed to play with the gain settings or is the default just fine?
Hey again, i went with the 7040, tibor said he hear more controled bass and sound with the 7040 and honestly i trust him entirely !

About the op amp i asked tibor which one is better sounding and i should select buget didnt stop me, but tibor said this one is less noise and more clean despite lower cost and again i trusted tibor and would trust him again.

I think hes really such a great guy and strike me as a very honest person i highly encourage you to ask his opinion and advice before you make decision .

About gain be surprised but again tibor checked my av processor spec and told me excatly what gain setting to use . I followed his advice again and it sound amazing

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Regarding the Op Amp replacement, it is a way to fine tune the amplifier's sound. Similar to the idea of changing vacuum tubes except that the change is digital.
The change would be analog as these are analog input buffer boards. Most often a unity gain circuit, but can be used to modify gain structure.

wdlvwdlv

The change would be analog as these are analog input buffer boards. Most often a unity gain circuit, but can be used to modify gain structure.
Thank you for elaborating. I'm still a newbie on this so, I appreciate the response.

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Been listening to it for about a week now. Nothing bad to say. The 1ET7040SA paired with Goldenear Triton One.R puts out tight bass and clear mids and soaring highs. No unusual tones or odd harmonics can be heard. I've listened to many musical genres.

I ordered the base OP module as I don't think I'd hear any difference. Plus I think amir mentioned the other modules made no difference in his tests.

I'm exceedingly happy with the amp. I've also like the clean appearance. I like the minimalist look. No front clutter. Just the illuminated logo.. The power button on the bottom is genius. No visible screws by design. Well done Apollon.

Attachments

• 20230825_152348.jpg
    20230825_152348.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 20230825_151928.jpg
    20230825_151928.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm exceedingly happy with the amp. I've also like the clean appearance. I like the minimalist look. No front clutter. Just the illuminated logo.. The power button on the bottom is genius. No visible screws by design. Well done Apollon.

It certainly is a very good looking product.

Top Bottom