• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung 4 Tbyte SSD Drive Review. I want one!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I put in the Samsung 1 Tbyte Samsung SSD in my laptop last year, it seemed infinitely big. Alas just a year later, it is 90% full! Thankfully Samsung has proceeded to produce 2 and 4 Tbyte drives using their wonderful vertical/3-D NAND technology which brings density and reliability together. The 4 Tbyte drives are a bit slower than my drive but I sure would like to have one. :) At $1,500 it is a bit rich even for my blood but hopefully in a few months, it will go under $1,000. Alternatively I may go for the 2 Tbyte version which is around $800.

At these capacities, you can put all your music in your server and play the content locally instead of using a NAS.

See the summary review from my favorite tech site, anandtech, http://www.anandtech.com/show/10481/the-samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd-review/10

"The 4TB 850 EVO also gives us another light push towards a future where mechanical hard drives are gone from the consumer market. Building a SSD that can entirely displace hard drives is now possible using controllers and DRAM that are cheap commodity parts. (SSDs larger than 4TB could be made using two controllers plus a RAID controller at the cost of some peak performance, a technique used by drives like the 2TB Mushkin Reactor TC.) The per-GB price of NAND flash is the only front on which SSDs still need to improve; SSDs have far surpassed mechanical hard drives in performance and power consumption and have caught up in terms of capacity and density."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
$0.37 / gB

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The article above was published March 7.

See if you can spot a possible "problem" below:

upload_2016-7-11_17-47-14.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Likewise, I have a 256 gigabyte SD card in my camera that I simply cannot fill! First time that has ever happened. And this is with a 50 megapixel camera!

We are living in a great era. To think that one of the most popular early digital cameras was from Sony and used a floppy disc drive in it!!!

1280px-Sony_Mavica_FD5_4040.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
To think that one of the most popular early digital cameras was from Sony and used a floppy disc drive in it!!!

I had to use one of those a few times at work.

Project Manager shipped it to me, I take some pictures, and ship it back.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought I was hot stuff as a fairly early adopter when I in 08 I bought my OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD for $200. It was one of the first SSD's to support trim but only after a later firmware update.
After 8 years it still runs flawlessly as the OS drive on my main box. I still manually trim it with a fstrim cron job. Smart reports 85% life left.
Linux OS still only uses less than half of the 60gigs. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I find that with Windows, Office and Suite of Adobe tools, 128 gigabytes is the minimum.

My early SSDs failed catastrophically. One would cause the system to hang frequently. And in another, it would cause crashes. One was from Intel which surprised me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I find that with Windows, Office and Suite of Adobe tools, 128 gigabytes is the minimum.

My early SSDs failed catastrophically. One would cause the system to hang frequently. And in another, it would cause crashes. One was from Intel which surprised me.
Yea those office suites are major hogs and since your a Microsoft guy I won't bash on Windoz. ;) Remember when Win 3.1 could be installed from a small stack of floppies. LOL
I keep my complete OS backed up to LiveDVD with all applications, media server, and Abiword office. If anything should ever go wrong with my desktop or laptop, I can boot the LiveDVD, install it to whatever, and be back up and running right where I left off in 20 minuets or less. Compressed iso is 1.8 gig on the DVD.
Sure it was your SSD's causing all the crashes-freezes and not the OS. :eek:-+

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sure it was your SSD's causing all the crashes-freezes and not the OS. :eek:-+
Definitely. A restore on a new SSD fixed both issues and I could they they were hanging/crashing on disk reads.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Definitely. A restore on a new SSD fixed both issues and I could they they were hanging/crashing on disk reads.
I was just wankin your chain. LOL

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A restore on a new SSD fixed both issues and I could they they were hanging/crashing on disk reads.

My system SSD are in a RAID-0, since I wasn't too sure how much to trust them.

One would drop out and have to be rebuilt, like, often. It was the same one each time evidenced by its total write count, which is still double the other SSD, 16 vs 32 terabytes now.

Changed the cheap no-name-came-with-the-cheap-case power supply to a cheap Antec (when I happened to change cases) and it's been stable (no SSD trouble and not enough blue-screens to remember) since. Can't remember how long its been now... looking... 2 1/2 years for the power supply, and 3 1/2 for the SSDs.

I built my PC on the five year plan in 2008, it's running over. It first ran linux, to see if I liked it any better than I did in eight years before (didn't), then Vista, then Win7.

I'm on the fence about moving to Win10, don't think I want to. Still have a few days to decide on the free offer.

I do need to blow the dust out of it, that's my next PC Project.

upload_2016-7-13_14-52-0.png
upload_2016-7-13_14-53-26.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm on the fence about moving to Win10, don't think I want to.
I was refusing to upgrade but eventually gave in. So far it has been good. To my surprise, all of my Win7 apps continue to run, no-reactivation, nothing. So I recommend getting on with it as I am not sure how much longer Win7 will be supported.

On power supply, I have built dozens of computers and #1 failure point has always been power supply. Must have replaced a number of them to fix weird system crashes and hangs. The fans in them go and they just run too hot for reliable operation.

TBone

Major Contributor
So I recommend getting on with it as I am not sure how much longer Win7 will be supported.

Yeah, I'd upgrade while you can. As an early adopter of w10 i'd say that many, if not all, of my w10 frustrations past, have now been addressed. But what a wild ride ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah, I'd upgrade while you can. As an early adopter of w10 i'd say that many, if not all, of my w10 frustrations past, have now been addressed. But what a wild ride ...
Typical Microsoft, releasing things half baked.. It's a hard habit to break for some :D

TBone

Major Contributor
Typical Microsoft, releasing things half baked.. It's a hard habit to break for some :D

perhaps it's better for a company like MS to fix bugs in the field; worked for them in the past.

i really liked 7, rarely an issue, and it was snappy. w10 eats more ram, so expect a performance hit, esp in terms of startup times. even leaned-out, my notebook starts much slower. updates are required, not optional, the root of many past frustrations; not only have the setup menu's morphed, you'd wake up to a completely new menu structure / process without warning. all the old menu's are still apparent, but refuse to work as just
the day before, and once you make an entry, everything flashes & disappears ... arggh ... but ... once you figure/learn where they've relocated the same functionality, it has proven easier.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
4TB SSD hard drive for $1,500 US is a fair chunk of plastic credit.
A USB stick (64GB) is $60 on average here in Canada (MSRP). ...Half on sale.
For one TB you would need 16 of them USB sticks. ...Or $960 @ regular price.
One TB external drive is roughly $100 (half of that in the USA).

If say I would want to put my Blu-ray collection on hard drive, ...just forget it. Plus it's not secure, someone could steal it, or it could break and be destroyed forever.
Best is to keep it simple and encourage your local Hollywood premises and their Blu-ray factory plants. Couple hundred years from now your great great great great grandchildren might appreciate the inheritance...maybe. ...Or the local museum of movies archive.

Today we have The Cloud and it's free.

The other day I checked hard drives from one to eight TBs, and most of them weren't supported by Windows 10 (on the label it stopped @ Windows 8).
So I don't know why they are selling prehistoric external hard drives.

Where do you guys put your family and travel and associated co-workers pictures? ...About your online music and movies? ...Your LPs and CDs and DVDs?
The new BR UHD are 100GB per movie (disc). Ten of those is one TB.

Question: What's the difference between a hardrive that has only a USB connection and one that has additionally an AC power connection?
And two, do you need to buy a better USB cable and purified AC power chord?

Top Bottom