• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 80 33.9%

• Total voters

PopDV

Julian Krause talks about the issues with testing without mics here: USE YOUR GAIN! The TRUTH about maximum gain setting (set preamp gain properly and minimize noise)

That said, I've had mine for 4 months and doubt I could get the results of Krause's tests shared by staticV3 a few posts back. My theory is that there was supposedly a change of the mic impedance since Julian's review, which has somehow altered its performance. The pinned post by Julian on his e2x2 video: "According to a mail I got from Topping Pro, the input impedance has been increased to 1.5 kOhm in the second batch run." I'm not an engineer and don't have proper testing equipment so don't have any results though, but I am a bit suspicious of its performance recording through the mic inputs.
Ok but I hear the noise when I'm recording the Mic and it's the same noise level that without mic. And yes if you don't apply any any gain there is no noise bit the same time you don't hear the mic :) .... So already started return for refund. Mic Preamps not good

SATB

But I also used other headphones, the situation is similar.
So do those 32 Ohm headphones distort with the high gain button off? I expect them to distort with it on.

Basically anything 32 Ohm and under should have high gain button off.

Anything over 32 Ohm use high gain, but use the output knob proportionally.

Example I have Sony MDR-7506 which are 50 to 100 Ohm and I can only go 1/2 on the output knob before distortion with high gain button on.

My Senn 650HD at 300 Ohm can go a little over 3/4 the way.

If you had a high impedance headphone which then also distorts with the high gain button off, then the device probably does have a problem.

PopDV

Hello everyone
Maybe someone has faced a similar problem. I bought the e2x2 topping about a month ago, now I have a problem with the sound.
When listening, I hear interference and distortion.
An example of recording the interference of a tone generator.

What attempts have I made to solve the problem:

1. Check on three sound sources (PC, Dell laptop, Pixel 8 Pro).
2. Check on three headphones (Meze 99, Hifiman Ananda, KZ Castor)
3. Reinstall drivers and hard reset.
4. Used other USB cables
5. Used several different adapters 6.3

None of the above helped. Do you have any ideas?
It's not correct test: you did full volume with gain button. How about distortion with 50% volume do you still hear it?

BorisYe

Так эти наушники на 32 Ом искажают звук при выключенной кнопке высокого усиления? Я ожидаю, что они будут искажать его.

По сути, все, что имеет сопротивление 32 Ом и ниже, должно быть отключено кнопкой высокого усиления.

Все, что превышает 32 Ом, использует высокий коэффициент усиления, но используйте ручку выхода пропорционально.

Пример. У меня есть Sony MDR-7506 с сопротивлением от 50 до 100 Ом, и я могу поворачивать ручку выхода только на 1/2 перед искажением при включенной кнопке высокого усиления.

Мой Senn 650HD на 300 Ом может пройти чуть более 3/4 пути.

Если у вас наушники с высоким сопротивлением, которые также искажают звук при выключенной кнопке высокого усиления, то, вероятно, в устройстве действительно есть проблема.
Это некорректный тест: вы включили полную громкость с помощью кнопки усиления. А как насчет искажений при громкости 50%, вы их еще слышите?
I turned on the gain solely for video recording, since the microphone could not record this sound at minimum volume.
If I turn off the gain and set the volume to minimum, I will still hear distortion.

PopDV

I turned on the gain solely for video recording, since the microphone could not record this sound at minimum volume.
If I turn off the gain and set the volume to minimum, I will still hear distortion.
Warranty: return it

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I trust my ears not numbers
IMHO numbers can lie
You Sir have it backwards and in fact numbers never lie and Ears usually do lie and mislead us. This Forum is based on the science and engineering behind audio reproduction and associated audio products. You could say measuring and analyzing is our primary objective. Just a suggestion but if you want to learn more about what we do here and why we do it. I suggest you take a look at our Video Learning series all produced by our host Amir. Also take note that we have zero commercial banners and pop ups. That’s because we have no commercial endorsements or entanglements. We are a Member funded forum and this is by design.

Here is the link to the Video Library where you can learn more about what we do here:

SATB

That is probably a Dynamic Mic. To not add distortion, would need a device like a "Cloudlifter" to raise the volume of the Mic instead.

Another thing about your test, is that you covered the side of the mic with both headphone drivers, which is probably the cause of the wobbly phasing when combined with the high gain distortion. Should have the driver from only one side of the headphone pointed to the end of the mic or wherever the mic's capsule is supposed to be aimed at.

In fact, the reason you needed more volume is probably because the headphones were being muffled on the side of the mic away from the capsule, so you probably wouldn't need a cloudlifter in that case. Just need to put one headphone driver to the end of the mic.

But these are just small details. If you hear distortion in normal use, and have made sure you are not sending a hot signal out of your computer by for example using a safety true peak limiter, then the device is at likely at fault and returning it is the only option.

Top Bottom