• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transparent dac

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well links to other places is fine too. Saves people googling. It would also raise the awareness of what is available as I am not sure everyone knows about this option.

Makes sense.

I just got another one for Christmas, this time with the Digi+ Pro board (S/PDIF out). While I play with it over the next week it will be a good chance to document the steps for newcomers.

FWIW, the HiFiBerry guys also told me that there is a XLR balanced output DAC HAT coming in Q1/2017...

Ken Newton

Also, the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro lets you choose between different filters. How many DACs let you do that at all, let alone <$100?

Filters.png

There appears to be a strange notch in the initial rise of the impulse response of both low latency (minimum phase) filters. The notch does not appear in either of the linear phase filter impulse response graphs.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There appears to be a strange notch in the initial rise of the impulse response of both low latency (minimum phase) filters. The notch does not appear in either of the linear phase filter impulse response graphs.

I noticed that, too.

I can't think of anything in the sinc function math that explains it.

Ken Newton

I noticed that, too.

I can't think of anything in the sinc function math that explains it.

It appears by eye that it may even be occuring in less than the sample period. It almost looks like a converter glitch, except that it doesn't show in the impulse response of the two linear phase filters. Since nothing else in the system or test setup changes (I presume ) it would seem that it must stem from the filter kernel implementation. Arguing against that suspicion of the filter kernel implementation, however, is that one of the low latency filters is listed as being an IIR implementation, while the other is an FIR.

Top Bottom