• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
I think everyone has a band or album that is "the best" that they just don't like. I'd like to hear about it. Tell me what you hate. And let's keep it fun, no being a jerk. People hate what they hate.

I'll start.

Pet Sounds is absolute overrated garbage. Wouldn't it be Nice is an amazing song, and Sloop John B is the best version of a song written by someone else, but the rest is a travesty against humanity. God Only Knows makes me want to go to church, and I don't do that. Maybe it would sound better with expensive cables...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
While there's probably some overlap, I think this is a bit different. For example I don't strongly dislike Dylan's singing, but people often get upset when I say it's not very good, and a lot of covers are better than the original - other people do more justice to the great songwriting than he can.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think everyone has a band or album that is "the best" that they just don't like. I'd like to hear about it. Tell me what you hate. And let's keep it fun, no being a jerk. People hate what they hate.

I'll start.

Pet Sounds is absolute overrated garbage. Wouldn't it be Nice is an amazing song, and Sloop John B is the best version of a song written by someone else, but the rest is a travesty against humanity. God Only Knows makes me want to go to church, and I don't do that. Maybe it would sound better with expensive cables...
PET SOUNDS!!!! gag. I have never liked it. The Beach Boys were a group that could put together melodies and make the most lame lyrics sound fun. Then this pile of garbage. Never understood its high esteem. When someone says, "let me put on my Pet Sounds LP", I usually say please don't.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While there's probably some overlap, I think this is a bit different. For example I don't strongly dislike Dylan's singing, but people often get upset when I say it's not very good, and a lot of covers are better than the original - other people do more justice to the great songwriting than he can.
Dylan is a weird case. I don't mind singing his songs at karaoke parties, because my voice is better than his and I cannot sing. He sure can write some songs. Even for some of them his poor voice is a good fit. His voice is emotive even if technically not very good. Covers by the Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Sam Brown, Johnny Cash, Bowie, and more are better.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I do like Pet Sounds, but it's not like I want to listen to it often... Compared to Smile and some of Brian's later "experiments", it holds up pretty well...

I'm always re-impressed when I listen to Good Vibrations. He kinda nailed that one.

I can't abide rap or modern country...those are my bugaboos...

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great albums we hate?

Well, don't hate me for it, but I hate The Wall and have never made it all the way through.

Comfortably Numb is perfect, but the rest of the album gives off a Taylor Swift singing about her traumas vibe.

Plus, all the noise, noise, noise. That's the thing I hate, all the noise noise noise.

They could have fit all the music on just one record.

Hey, Roger, get on some Wellbutrin.

(This is all meant as hyperbole. No harm intended to any delicate sensibilities! I otherwise LOVE Pink Floyd.)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
U2 sucks, and Red Hot Chili Peppers 99% suck.

I like Pet Sounds though, sue me. :D

Here's my favorite unpopular music opinion, though:

Weird Al is (in terms of pure technical ability to deliver lines) one of the best rappers out there. He successfully parodied bar-for-bar some of the most highly acclaimed rappers, including Eminem who is considered a master of technique. So... logically, whatever you think of his lyrics, Weird Al is one of the best rappers.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
U2 sucks, and Red Hot Chili Peppers 99% suck.

I like Pet Sounds though, sue me. :D

Here's my favorite unpopular music opinion, though:

Weird Al is (in terms of pure technical ability to deliver lines) one of the best rappers out there. He successfully parodied bar-for-bar some of the most highly acclaimed rappers, including Eminem who is considered a master of technique. So... logically, whatever you think of his lyrics, Weird Al is one of the best rappers.
Weird Al's "Mission Statement" may be his most brilliant parody:

Leporello

Nirvana and grunge in general started a genre in which an anguished male singer seems to suffer from severe constipation.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never dislike the music, I just find the way some audio people declare something an audiophile benchmark... Pink Martini, Daft Punk, Miles' ancient "Kind of Blue" recording etc etc. All completely overrated even from a "recording reference" point of view. Daft Punk for example is the equivalent of a collage, with individual tracks mixed in... and who has a reference for Niles Rodgers' riffs? Come on. Acoustic instruments are something we can use as a reference, not electronica.

I like tracks in every possible genre here and there. And there's not a single artist that makes me think *everything* they have *ever* recorded is a reference I always enjoy.

007Shortz

You're not supposed to speak ill of the deceased but I hate Allan Holdsworth for City Nights from the album Secrets. My little brain will never understand what he's actually doing there.

And then he has the audacity to release it in such poor sound quality. ;)

Update: Even Rick Beato is suffering.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I remember a "Mrs. Miller" who had a couple of songs that actually got air time just because 'her' singing was so awful. A hen with a sore throat would have just soared, compared to that cacophony, bedawk!

Eric Natural

Classic Rock just makes me nauseous. . . couple of songs on the new Stones record not-withstanding.
"Hotel California" was a cool song for perhaps the first six hundred and sixty six times I heard it.
I lived thru the 1970s once, I don't need to go back.

Top Bottom