• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still, nothing beats processed american cheese on a burger! I always keep some on hand just for that....

Elsewhere on this forum there are USAnians criticising British food. I'm not sure if I should leave my "rolleyes" here or there.
:p

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meanwhile - we are, over time, working our way through this lot.

IMG_0657.jpeg
IMG_0658.jpeg

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Elsewhere on this forum there are USAnians criticising British food. I'm not sure if I should leave my "rolleyes" here or there.
Hehe... too funny. It's not just North Americans it's all of Europe too... LoL. I must give full disclosure I went to a British Pub and has pasties and other stuff and it was veryyyy filling comfort food that lasted me some hours before I felt hOngry again. It was well worth the expense. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The next trip to the cheese store will be more conservative for sure... less moldy cheeses. but prolly another hun buckeroos.

EERecordist

Good topic. A friend of mine sells cheese. Across the world there are the makers, many small to tiny. In your town you may find a cheesemonger who travels to trial them, then books delivery across the ocean in partial refrigerated containers. If your town or city is big enough, the cheesemonger can make recommendations. I learned from them the milk making the cheese has seasonal variations, and the age of the cheese influences the flavor. I have found great cheese at farmer markets direct.

I'm a fan of extra sharp cheddars and all the blues, not mild and soft cheese.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good topic. A friend of mine sells cheese. Across the world there are the makers, many small to tiny. In your town you may find a cheesemonger who travels to trial them, then books delivery across the ocean in partial refrigerated containers. If your town or city is big enough, the cheesemonger can make recommendations. I learned from them the milk making the cheese has seasonal variations, and the age of the cheese influences the flavor. I have found great cheese at farmer markets direct.

I'm a fan of extra sharp cheddars and all the blues, not mild and soft cheese.
I bought blue(s) ~a week ago and they tasted dusty moldy. I had to make dips... and crunch away on crackers. The brie and camembert was excellent.)

EERecordist

I bought blue(s) ~a week ago and they tasted dusty moldy. I had to make dips... and crunch away on crackers. The brie and camembert was excellent.)
In the olden times, there was no refrigeration or cold chain - refrigeration between farmer and consumer. So people developed all kinds of food preservation including preserving milk as cheese. Sorry the cheese was not good, it's a risk.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the olden times, there was no refrigeration or cold chain - refrigeration between farmer and consumer. So people developed all kinds of food preservation including preserving milk as cheese. Sorry the cheese was not good, it's a risk.
It was not as good of a blue cheese dip as I always received at the Red Robbin burger joint but it was good enough to eat as a dip in sour cream. It was extra aged and I saw that going in. So no loss. the orange cheese with mold was erm... distasteful. Never again. I'll stick to cheese that I can gnosh on and then some tangier snacking cheeses too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only been to england once, and quite a while back. The food wasn't memorable. I like some of their cheeses, tho I'd still put good ol processed american cheese on a burger.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do need to aquire a taste for blue cheese. But once you have there is no going back.

When it comes to cheese, I'm always singing the blues.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Only been to england once, and quite a while back. The food wasn't memorable. I like some of their cheeses, tho I'd still put good ol processed american cheese on a burger.
Also if you're in the right apple growing regions... some good Scrumpy to go with the cheese!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Never have been much of a cider fan. Good beer works, tho. Even whisk(e)y.
Crispy slightly tannic green apples, (or their cider equivalents... not the icky sweet stuff commonly sold as cider) - are a fabulous accompaniment for vintage cheddars!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Doodski I'm surprised Canada doesn't have a thriving cheese industry. My guess was the dairy industry up there was pretty significant?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski I'm surprised Canada doesn't have a thriving cheese industry. My guess was the dairy industry up there was pretty significant?
It's all regulated/mandated/protected dairy industry and is mostly all of it situated in Quebec. Most of the cheese that I bought where imports. People that live near the USA Canada border are renowned for driving across the border into the USA and buying their dairy products stateside for way less money and better selection. Canada is a known bad actor when it comes to free trade imports on dairy products. It sucks that way. Any more information and I'll sound political in my details... LoL. :facepalm:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's all regulated/mandated/protected dairy industry and is mostly all of it situated in Quebec. Most of the cheese that I bought where imports. People that live near the USA Canada border are renowned for driving across the border into the USA and buying their dairy products stateside for way less money and better selection. Canada is a known bad actor when it comes to free trade imports on dairy products. It sucks that way. Any more information and I'll sound political in my details... LoL. :facepalm:
Quebec, 'nuf said.

Hopefully you aren't too far from the border!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quebec, 'nuf said.

Hopefully you aren't too far from the border!
I am 394 miles from the USA Canada border on the prairies. Far enough north that I get extended daylight in the summer and cool nights even when it's roasting hot in June and July. :D It's nearly all sunny all the time too. I love it!

Top Bottom