• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is Dirac/DLBC doing to my sound ?

OP
P

pollock0424

@Davide
Do not mess with subwoofer controls and let Dirac do its thing. I was trying to use sub controls along with dirac..but that didn't workout well. Even if dirac sets xover at 70hz do not worry too much about it in the beginning. I thought 70hz is too high but in reality no that high..

Davide

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Davide
Do not mess with subwoofer controls and let Dirac do its thing. I was trying to use sub controls along with dirac..but that didn't workout well. Even if dirac sets xover at 70hz do not worry too much about it in the beginning. I thought 70hz is too high but in reality no that high..
It is not a question of subs settings or measurement methods.
The fact is that Dirac worsens the GD at low frequencies, regardless of everything, which is exactly the opposite of what it should do.
It is unclear whether this is a side effect of a better frequency response...

ban25

The fact is that Dirac worsens the GD at low frequencies, regardless of everything, which is exactly the opposite of what it should do.
Also note that you can set the crossover in DLBC to whatever you like per speaker group and it's best to experiment. I found that with my old KEF R11s, a crossover of 90 Hz performed best.

OP
P

pollock0424

@Davide

Do you have any measurements? In my case, GD got worse at one region but improved overall in the bass and sub bass...

OCA

Forum Donor
The fact is that Dirac worsens the GD at low frequencies
Lower frequencies are supposed to be delayed a little by design. It's the "flatness" of GD that's desired. I don't use Dirac but it might be targeting that?

Davide

@Davide

Do you have any measurements? In my case, GD got worse at one region but improved overall in the bass and sub bass...
Lower frequencies are supposed to be delayed a little by design. It's the "flatness" of GD that's desired. I don't use Dirac but it might be targeting that?

1000014281.jpg

Here the excess GD is shown, calculated in respect to the minimum phase estimated by REW (quite reliable in low end).
I didn't save the measurement without Dirac, but it was practically zero in that critical zone (40-50 Hz). The subs are sealed so this is expected.y
My doubt is that in the various measuring points of dirac there is some abrupt peak of gd in that area due to the room, so not being able to correct it delays everything else to have better consistency.

Last edited:
OP
P

pollock0424

@Davide

Is bass is boomy with dirac? Next time can you please capture GD, RT60 with and without DLBC? Or are you just using Dirac? If you're using only dirac then it can't correct bass issues.

Also capture SPL plots with and without dirac, make sure that you're not introducing bass boost when correcting with Dirac.

Davide

@Davide

Is bass is boomy with dirac? Next time can you please capture GD, RT60 with and without DLBC? Or are you just using Dirac? If you're using only dirac then it can't correct bass issues.

Also capture SPL plots with and without dirac, make sure that you're not introducing bass boost when correcting with Dirac
I did.
And also filter' measurements.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

I don’t think that’s really the case. Excess group delay will be flat if a signal is passed through a physically possible filter (like an LCR network, or a speaker), but will deviate when the signal mixes with delayed reflections, for example. Neither is a reliable indication of better or worse sound, but it can be used to exclude frequency response errors in certain areas from EQ correction (where the correction would be pointless or harmful).

As far as I know, Dirac uses both IIR and FIR filters. The latter are not physically possible and allow for separate correction of time and frequency. I’m not surprised that this would show up in the excess GD plot.

Speaking of group delay, after reading up on the filter characteristics of AKM DAC chips I started worrying about the different group delays of different filters. Now, if the same of DAC with the same filter is used for all channels then this won’t matter. However, in my system I use different DACs for LR and sub channels. Both have AKM chips but only one lets me select the filter.

So I went and measured the actual delay of the DACs, depending on the filter choice in one of them, and the sample rate. To my surprise, the choice of filter has virtually no impact. The sample rate unsurprisingly does:

48kHz96kHz192kHz
F114.9ms7.4ms3.8ms
F215.4ms7.6ms3.9ms
F315.4ms7.6ms3.9ms
F415.4ms7.7ms3.9ms
F515.4ms7.7ms3.9ms
F615.3ms7.6ms3.8ms

What this means for Dirac setups is, if you run the DACs during Dirac Live measurement at a different sample rate than when listening to music, your bass timings will be off considerably. The only solution is either using the same DAC model for LR and subs, or sticking to a fixed replay sample rate and using that during Dirac Live as well.

Davide

I don’t think that’s really the case. Excess group delay will be flat if a signal is passed through a physically possible filter (like an LCR network, or a speaker), but will deviate when the signal mixes with delayed reflections, for example. Neither is a reliable indication of better or worse sound, but it can be used to exclude frequency response errors in certain areas from EQ correction (where the correction would be pointless or harmful).

As far as I know, Dirac uses both IIR and FIR filters. The latter are not physically possible and allow for separate correction of time and frequency. I’m not surprised that this would show up in the excess GD plot.

Speaking of group delay, after reading up on the filter characteristics of AKM DAC chips I started worrying about the different group delays of different filters. Now, if the same of DAC with the same filter is used for all channels then this won’t matter. However, in my system I use different DACs for LR and sub channels. Both have AKM chips but only one lets me select the filter.

So I went and measured the actual delay of the DACs, depending on the filter choice in one of them, and the sample rate. To my surprise, the choice of filter has virtually no impact. The sample rate unsurprisingly does:

48kHz96kHz192kHz
F114.9ms7.4ms3.8ms
F215.4ms7.6ms3.9ms
F315.4ms7.6ms3.9ms
F415.4ms7.7ms3.9ms
F515.4ms7.7ms3.9ms
F615.3ms7.6ms3.8ms

What this means for Dirac setups is, if you run the DACs during Dirac Live measurement at a different sample rate than when listening to music, your bass timings will be off considerably. The only solution is either using the same DAC model for LR and subs, or sticking to a fixed replay sample rate and using that during Dirac Live as well.
I understand your points.
As for the DAC I use a multi-channel interface so the point is not applicable.
We can also leave out the point of excess of phase and speak only of GD. If the uncorrected system has few millisec of GD at low end, with the correction I can expect a variation proportional to that of magnitude, since Dirac does not use FIR at low frequencies.
But this does not happen. What happens is a global increase in GD over the entire low range, even reaching 120 ms sometimes.
I also tried to translate the target so that the low frequencies were little corrected in magnitude, shifting the large variation towards the high frequencies.
But nothing, same results.
For a correction system this is a strange behaviour, Although we consider that it only works with IIR, at low frequencies.

If I apply a minimum phase correction with Audiolense, this does not happen. Indeed, Audiolense always improves the GD, as expected.

However, there is a point to add. This is true for the main listening position.
On a larger area, Dirac is able to maintain greater consistency of magnitude at low frequencies, unlike Audiolense.
So, perhaps, the question of Dirac's extra GD is to be found precisely in this effect.
Then we can talk about whether the consistency over a large area or a low GD over a narrower area is better.

At the moment I am still trying to understand if the matter is like this or if Dirac is simply wrong (I doubt).

The fact that Dirac delivers highly variable results to each filter creation iteration, as well as measurements, however, does not give me much confidence in the robustness of the algorithm.

However, the fact is that the bass at 100ms of GD is audibly of poor quality.

I think @mitchco can certainly make a valuable contribution to the discussion.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
As for the DAC I use a multi-channel interface so the point is not applicable.

Yes, that’s the way to go. Alas, some of us came to DLBC from a regular 2-channel setup and added one or more DACs to deal with the subwoofer channels.

At the moment I am still trying to understand if the matter is like this or if Dirac is simply wrong (I doubt).

Same here. I simply don’t know enough about a) how Dirac works and b) how to judge the result other than by ear. But wouldn’t the measured step response (or impulse response) be a better criterion than GD?

However, the fact is that the bass at 100ms of GD is audibly of poor quality.

Can you elaborate, does your bass sound bad? I’m very happy with the bass reproduction I get with DLBC, it’s the best result I ever got (after extensive efforts in speaker placement and room treatment).

I think @mitchco can certainly make a valuable contribution to the discussion.

That would be awesome.

Davide

Can you elaborate, does your bass sound bad? I’m very happy with the bass reproduction I get with DLBC, it’s the best result I ever got (after extensive efforts in speaker placement and room treatment)
When Dirac is active the basses have some kind of tail effect... the depth is felt good, but there is no clear kick. A kind of blur.
Then I use an AB switch plugin to switch from Dirac to Audiolense, and the bass is much cleaner, a sharp hit, although more "sterile".
This obviously with the same frequency response (verified with REW). And from the same measurements the GD of Audiolense is half of Dirac, almost similar to the raw response.

Ultimately, the GD is the time delay of the envelope, so there is necessarily an audibility threshold.
Here on ASR someone discussed it some time ago. But even the web actually has a lot of information about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom