• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, and it also states the BT model has no app or way of EQing it so it is leaving it handicapped to an extent.

I just purchased the non-bt one, and I got no issues. I got two very decent portable dac amps so I’m good as gold. Plus I can eq too on the go all the problems solved.

Never had a headphone that is so closely aligned with the Harman curve and I want to see what it sounds like, only reason I’m purchasing
Does the non-BT model come with an app for EQ? Or are you referring to not being able to EQ it is used via BT? I've been EQing mine using APO when using it wired.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never had a headphone that is so closely aligned with the Harman curve and I want to see what it sounds like, only reason I’m purchasing

If what you want is to experience the Harman target, you're much better off equalising a pair of fully open headphones with decent sample variation, such as the HD6... series, based on ear simulator measurements.
The K371's on-head behaviour doesn't translate from ear simulators quite as intact as the HD6... platform (or most fully open HPs) for various reasons (not just leakage).

Even then the question of what does the Harman target actually sounds like is, at least for me, not straightforward to answer : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ancelling-headphone.25609/page-13#post-995729

MacCali

Major Contributor
If what you want is to experience the Harman target, you're much better off equalising a pair of fully open headphones with decent sample variation, such as the HD6... series, based on ear simulator measurements.
The K371's on-head behaviour doesn't translate from ear simulators quite as intact as the HD6... platform (or most fully open HPs) for various reasons (not just leakage).

Even then the question of what does the Harman target actually sounds like is, at least for me, not straightforward to answer : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ancelling-headphone.25609/page-13#post-995729
Yea, I see what you are talking about. These are a bit claustrophobic, just got them and currently listening. EQ does definitely help, it's not a bad headphone though. I just cant say without some quality blind testing which one I prefer right now, these or my Focal Elegia, I feel like the elegia is doing some things better internally with the sound bouncing around or the cups are larger and it's not as claustrophobic or maybe how the drivers are angled.

I am only buying these headphones, or any closed back for travel reasons. I am listening in situations where there's noise around me that I do not want to come in. Do tubes do anything to help this headphone out? Dont even want to bring out all my headphone crap right now for no reason XD

Honestly this just takes me back to why I prefer stereo listening so much more, I swear it feels like there's hardly any difference between headphones when it comes to sound stage, or imaging, or anything, the only thing I can say is headphones are always very clear. That's the thing I enjoy than again the speakers aren't sitting 1/2 an inch from my ears. My open back headphones the HE6Se V2 have a far more pleasant sound than both of these closed backs. It also to me always sounds like listening to music on headphones the entire center is hallow, like there's nothing there. Crossfeed does help this for certain, only got one dac/amp that has crossfeed, now that I am using Roon I can use it with all my components, it doesn't fully fix the issue but probably 90% gone Edit: Just turned on crossfeed a few songs in, much more pleasant, all my comments prior are precrossfeed.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the K361BT measures and sounds worse than the wired K361, which I am afraid is could be also the case for the K371BT:

Measurements of both from 6:30
Really strange, exactly like he says: "Why should I EQ a heaphone which they could have done internally.."
They had the possibility to further correct the sound profile to better match the Harman target but they provided further deviation??

Found another proof at Headphonecheck reviews of both of them
K371:
2022-01-06 13_36_27-AKG K371 Review _ headphonecheck.com.jpg

K371 BT:
2022-01-06 13_34_39-AKG K371-BT Review _ headphonecheck.com.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really strange, exactly like he says: "Why should I EQ a heaphone which they could have done internally.."
They had the possibility to further correct the sound profile to better match the Harman target but they provided further deviation??

Found another proof at Headphonecheck reviews of both of them
K371:
View attachment 177144

K371 BT:
View attachment 177143
That isn't a lot of difference. I'd wonder if maybe the slightly different thickness of the earpads is the sole reason for these differences. It likely is enough difference for quick comparisons to make it clear they aren't the same, but not some great difference in general character. Too bad they don't offer replacement earpads you could swap the thicker non-BT pads and remeasure the BT model.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The BT version also has to house the electronics and battery.
These will take up space in the cups which might influence response below 200Hz.
It might be a combination of pads and available space inside the cups.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The BT version also has to house the electronics and battery.
These will take up space in the cups which might influence response below 200Hz.
It might be a combination of pads and available space inside the cups.
I thought the housing is slightly wider which is why the BT version had thinner earpads. I assumed that was to create space for batteries and such. Or maybe they didn't create quite enough space, but partly made up for the lost space.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What ever the differences are, not knowing the non BT version I like the BT version with @amirm's EQ for the non BT version (but with slightly less deep bass, I'm not a bass head).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What ever the differences are, not knowing the non BT version I like the BT version with @amirm's EQ for the non BT version (but with slightly less deep bass, I'm not a bass head).
Me too. Amir's suggested EQ works to improve the sound.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Was bored and out and about yesterday, so I stopped in at the local Guitar Center store to listen to the 371's again. I could hear just a slight difference from the 361 with my ears on the (admittedly crappy) sample tracks, probably more due to the lower bass extension. I like the connector on the 371 model but the 361 was a steal at the $83 price I got them for. I was also impressed with the Audio-Technica 40 model for under a hundred, similar sound to the 361 but perhaps a little more robust construction.

What I was NOT impressed with were the low-end Sennheiser models they had on hand. Three of the four models shown (the 25, 280 Pro and 380 Pro) had that super-thin earpiece pleather that tears so very easily, and same on the band cushions. They looked...just cheap and flimsy, and the sound was just OK. I've always been a Senn guy prior to the AKGs but it looks like they are really cheaping out on construction until you get into the 500, 600 and up range. I still have the HD414's I bought in 1973 and many cheap earfoam pads later, they still sound pretty good.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Loving the headband on the 371 compared to the 361, can't believe people were calling it flimsy I was expecting it to be exactly like the 361. They also come with 3 different cables.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]I've always been a Senn guy prior to the AKGs but it looks like they are really cheaping out on construction until you get into the 500, 600 and up range. I still have the HD414's I bought in 1973 and many cheap earfoam pads later, they still sound pretty good.
It's difficult for me to understand that someone who likes the AKG K361/371 also likes the HD414 - IME they sound totally different.My father had the HD414,my first headphone was the HD420, followed by HD130, 580 and 800 (still have the latter 3).The sound improved with each change (more bass, more soundstage). Using EQed HD800, K371 and DT990pro, going back to the HD130 is a horrific experience.

Samudra1825

What does group delay have to do with "don't eq"? Im super new to this so please be patient tehee

GaryH

Major Contributor
What does group delay have to do with "don't eq"? Im super new to this so please be patient tehee
Next to nothing. It's pseudoscience to conclude something is audible or not EQable from a group delay plot. You need an excess group delay plot for that. See this excellent explanation why. The group delay measurements on here also have other issues. Best to just ignore them. Having said that, you shouldn't EQ up the notch many headphones exhibit around 10 kHz for a different reason - it's due to the shape of the artificial pinnae used to measure the headphones, which in turn are simulating the frequency notch your actual ears will create when listening to the headphones (see here).

Last edited:

Samudra1825

Next to nothing. It's pseudoscience to conclude something is audible or not EQable from a group delay plot. You need an excess group delay plot for that. See this excellent explanation why. The group delay measurements on here also have other issues. Best to just ignore them. Having said that, you shouldn't EQ up the notch many headphones exhibit around 10 kHz for a different reason - it's due to the shape of the artificial pinnae used to measure the headphones, which in turn are simulating the frequency notch your actual ears will create when listening to the headphones (see here).
Thank you so much! I have much to learn indeed but it's fun! Also appreciate people like you that say something is pseudoscience but doesn't completely ignore them because it's haven't scientifically tested to large audience etc

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's difficult for me to understand that someone who likes the AKG K361/371 also likes the HD414 - IME they sound totally different.My father had the HD414,my first headphone was the HD420, followed by HD130, 580 and 800 (still have the latter 3).The sound improved with each change (more bass, more soundstage). Using EQed HD800, K371 and DT990pro, going back to the HD130 is a horrific experience.
some more pseudoscience :)

HD414 (original)
hd414-fr.png

HD420 (SL)
fr-hd420-sl.png

HD800
hd800-fr-30k.png

K371
fr-stock.png

DT990Pro (250)
fr-20-20k.png

You need to send me the HD130 to see the measurements from it.:D
After googling I could find the HDR130 and RS130 but no HD130.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
Top Bottom