• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for caring and checking you all.

Let me start with the positive. Earlier this week my wife's mobility and situation improved substantially. She is able to walk and move around with little pain. This means she can help with a lot of house chores and such without needing me. So great on both fronts.

On dealing with the water, I spent probably 100 hours watching youtube videos on pumps and systems for the catch basin the contractor put in and then ran away. Got all the parts from Amazon and half a dozen trip to local stores to buy piping for both the pump and conduit to run electricity (the contractor ripped apart the one that was already there :) ). Spent a few days running and attaching everything. It was all working yesterday.

Today I went to check on it and the pump is working. But the water does not come out where it is supposed to (some 200 feet over using 4 inch drain pipe)! Put in a hose and ran it for 15 minutes. Nothing ever comes out even though I hear it drain easily half way to where it is supposed to come out. Took out my various snakes and augers and they would all get stuck half way into the pipe. Not sure if it is the lousy quality of the tools I have or there is real blockage which these lightweight tools can't handle.

So back to amazon today to buy an sewer inspection camera. Set me back $450 but figure that is what it would cost to get a plumber to come and scope it. Wanted to buy an electric auger to clean the pipe but can't decide what to get. And what I can get from Amazon for some reason takes a week to get here!

Worst case situation is a crushed pipe some place. It is PVC so I don't think roots have gotten in there. But who knows if there is a break in there.

If anyone has a recommendation for an electric auger, let me know. The battery operated Ryobi one I have is just too weak. Only one in stock that I can buy is from Rigid but there is a lot of complaints about its quality. The commercial quality ones seem to go for $3,000 which wouldn't make sense. I guess I can rent one.

Finally, discovered that the sump basin has holed all the way at the bottom. What this does is that it allows water that is collected to seep out, not in! When the pump runs, right when it dries the basin and shuts off, water gushes in from those holes. This will in turn cause the pump to cycle more I imagine. I would have thought that weeping holes should have been put higher. This sump basin is 7 foot high by the way and is already surrounded by tons of gravel. If it has to come out to fix the holes, it will be hell!
I guess the best is to use the camera to see what the problem is. If it is a pipe that has divided or broken, you will see it, and know what to do. Sludging usually require power and strong water jet from one or the other direction, simple hose will not do it.

pjn

Finally, discovered that the sump basin has holed all the way at the bottom. What this does is that it allows water that is collected to seep out, not in! When the pump runs, right when it dries the basin and shuts off, water gushes in from those holes. This will in turn cause the pump to cycle more I imagine. I would have thought that weeping holes should have been put higher. This sump basin is 7 foot high by the way and is already surrounded by tons of gravel. If it has to come out to fix the holes, it will be hell!
What an epic - my sympathy!. If it is any consolation, at least ASR is proving it's worth as a source of all sorts of useful information (in this case useful information that I hope not to need!)

D

Deleted member 43441

That is a lot to handle, please remember to take care of yourself in all of this.

All I can say is, as a contractor there is always a solution to our problems, and I wish for the best, prayers for you and your family.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My sympathies, but glad to learn you're doing a little better. I hope your homeowner's insurance is covering most of the costs of this disaster. When this is all finished you and the Mrs. should take a trip to a desert resort like Palm Springs for a few days just to feel you're on dry land again.
Unfortunately insurance company claims this is a flood and won't cover it. The do have an option for gutters backing up which I have added now but won't do anything for past disasters.

D

Deleted member 43441

Unfortunately insurance company claims this is a flood and won't cover it. The do have an option for gutters backing up which I have added now but won't do anything for past disasters.
Amir, are some of these problems from the roof not draining properly, or far enough away from the foundation?

Sometimes the gutter and downspout size can be increased to let the roof drain properly. I’m sure you’re aware of this but I figured I would ask.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Being a "natural born escapist", I would consider moving to a safer location, if it happened to me, because what happens once, tends to happen twice...

antennaguru

The outlet of a long 4 inch diameter line can make a nice home for some critter to move into and nest once the pump stops running. You won't realize this until the next rainy season when the pump isn't working. It can be helpful to install an anti-critter screen on the far end of the drain line.

If it's any consolation we have had Flying Squirrels need to get removed from our mountain house 5 times now over 17 years we've owned that house. Just when you think every tiny potential gap is fixed they find/make another one. The last two times were tiny holes made by a woodpecker in the wood siding, which were then opened up by the gnawing rodent Flying Squirrels. They're particularly difficult critters because they glide to the roof from tall trees, and then scamper around looking for any way they can get in - up really high on the house so they can glide away to forage. It's always winter with ice/snow on the ground, and the ground around the house is steeply sloped due to the foundation being blasted into the side of a mountain. Setting up ladders on sloping icy ground is really dangerous and left to professionals only - especially because I don't want to mess up my ski season, or worse due to a stupid injury over critters...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The outlet of a long 4 inch diameter line can make a nice home for some critter to move into and nest once the pump stops running. You won't realize this until the next rainy season when the pump isn't working. It can be helpful to install an anti-critter screen on the far end of the drain line.

If it's any consolation we have had Flying Squirrels need to get removed from our mountain house 5 times now over 17 years we've owned that house. Just when you think every tiny potential gap is fixed they find/make another one. The last two times were tiny holes made by a woodpecker in the wood siding, which were then opened up by the gnawing rodent Flying Squirrels. They're particularly difficult critters because they glide to the roof from tall trees, and then scamper around looking for any way they can get in - up really high on the house so they can glide away to forage. It's always winter with ice/snow on the ground, and the ground around the house is steeply sloped due to the foundation being blasted into the side of a mountain. Setting up ladders on sloping icy ground is really dangerous and left to professionals only - especially because I don't want to mess up my ski season, or worse due to a stupid injury over critters...
I stayed at the cabin for a couple of summer months and in the night it was the frogs croaking alll night long and the in the morning it was apparently dozens of squirrels chattering outside the cabin. I fixed them for a couple of days at a time with the 22 long rifle and a scope. I would drop them from the trees and leave the carcass on the ground for hungry critters. They always eventually came back but a couple days of decent sleep in the morning was better than nothing. The frogs eventually quieted down and then I discovered a ~6 foot long snake living in the pond with them. Very rare to find a snake that large in Canada but it was there and apparently very hungry too. :D Even a 22 caliber pellet gun will take down squirrels pretty good but not with the range of a 22 long rifle. Advantages to using either or of course.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So sorry to hear this is continuing to plague you. I hope you can get past this soon!

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I stayed at the cabin for a couple of summer months and in the night it was the frogs croaking alll night long and the in the morning it was apparently dozens of squirrels chattering outside the cabin. I fixed them for a couple of days at a time with the 22 long rifle and a scope. I would drop them from the trees and leave the carcass on the ground for hungry critters. They always eventually came back but a couple days of decent sleep in the morning was better than nothing. The frogs eventually quieted down and then I discovered a ~6 foot long snake living in the pond with them. Very rare to find a snake that large in Canada but it was there and apparently very hungry too. :D Even a 22 caliber pellet gun will take down squirrels pretty good but not with the range of a 22 long rifle. Advantages to using either or of course.
Doodski - you know better than to mess with squirrels! https://m.facebook.com/RickandMorty...h-squirrels-httpaswim166lri/1500338560062961/
I rest my case.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doodski - you know better than to mess with squirrels! https://m.facebook.com/RickandMorty...h-squirrels-httpaswim166lri/1500338560062961/
I rest my case.
Lol... Gray squirrels are considered a pest in Canada and are open season allll year long. The red squirrels with the tufted ears are being killed off by the invading larger gray squirrels. I read that the gray squirrels taste good and as long as one hunts them in areas without pesticides and crap they are edible. But I never tried one. :D

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Lol... Gray squirrels are considered a pest in Canada and are open season allll year long. The red squirrels with the tufted ears are being killed off by the invading larger gray squirrels. I read that the gray squirrels taste good and as long as one hunts them in areas without pesticides and crap they are edible. But I never tried one. :D
Get black squirrels around Niagara Falls.

Reds tend to be more aggressive.

We get some hybrid red/gray ones here in NH, because they are randy little buggers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get black squirrels around Niagara Falls.

Reds tend to be more aggressive.

We get some hybrid red/gray ones here in NH, because they are randy little buggers.
I made a trap for squirrels but not a single squirrel would go inside of it... lol. Otherwise they where all over the grass and in the tree and eating walnut oil'd treats that I put out but no going into the cage. Downtown Vancouver near Stanley Park has the fattest and most multi colored squirrels that I've ever seen. Very bold. They come right down the tree to eye level and chirp incessantly demanding food. The people there either love them or hate them. I found them to be a bit annoying and right in my face as I walked around. :D I think the reds are more chatty but they grays are more aggressive to other squirrel types and to the reds from literature I've read. :D

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I made a trap for squirrels but not a single squirrel would go inside of it... lol. Otherwise they where all over the grass and in the tree and eating walnut oil'd treats that I put out but no going into the cage. Downtown Vancouver near Stanley Park has the fattest and most multi colored squirrels that I've ever seen. Very bold. They come right down the tree to eye level and chirp incessantly demanding food. The people there either love them or hate them. I found them to be a bit annoying and right in my face as I walked around. :D I think the reds are more chatty but they grays are more aggressive to other squirrel types and to the reds from literature I've read. :D
Below is what is needed - Have a Heart trap. The only bait that always works is a Triscuit cracker with peanut butter on it. Put a white cable tie on the far side of the cage past trigger platform loose enough to wedge the cracker under the cable tie loop. If you don't secure the cracker they steal it from the trap. I set a record last summer of 21 squirrels trapped and 20 relocated. A hawk killed one of the squirrels while it was inside the trap. That one I dumped out of the trap so the hawk could come back and get its dinner. If I could count on that hawk it would save me a trip to the woods.

1644283328285.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Below is what is needed - Have a Heart trap. The only bait that always works is a Triscuit cracker with peanut butter on it. Put a white cable tie on the far side of the cage past trigger platform loose enough to wedge the cracker under the cable tie loop. If you don't secure the cracker they steal it from the trap. I set a record last summer of 21 squirrels trapped and 20 relocated. A hawk killed one of the squirrels while it was inside the trap. That one I dumped out of the trap so the hawk could come back and get its dinner. If I could count on that hawk it would save me a trip to the woods.

View attachment 185056
Wow. That's very effective and a very effective hawk too. My home made trap was very similar to this one although the trap trigger was not reliable as it sometimes required extra force to trigger the spring loaded door assembly. I was bored, had extra time and decided to try making a trap. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, are some of these problems from the roof not draining properly, or far enough away from the foundation?
The roof is metal so sheds water excellently. Gutters are clean as they have covers. Somehow, some place was letting water to go into one room that is about 10 foot below surface. It would then run down by one wall and enter our entire downstairs with incredible force. It is still not clear what the cause really was. What the contractor do was a shotgun approach of digging by that first room 8 to 9 feet down, putting in gravel/stones, and an 8 foot deep by 24 inch basin. They also redid the french drain by the hill that is shedding ton of water.

As it happens, we have had days of dry weather. While this has made it nicer to work on the project, the real test is yet to come.

Meanwhile as i noted, the water is mysteriously disappearing from the gutters and my new pump but does not come out of the proper at the bottom of the hill where the exhaust drain is. Camera should be here tomorrow to hopefully shine some light on this mystery. I also bought a drain auger today. Took me all day driving around town to find one in stock!

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Wow. That's very effective and a very effective hawk too. My home made trap was very similar to this one although the trap trigger was not reliable as it sometimes required extra force to trigger the spring loaded door assembly. I was bored, had extra time and decided to try making a trap. :D
Our current dog - Japanese Chin - hardly pays any attention to any wildlife except for coyotes when they were around. So, I end up trapping the squirrels because he won't chase them. Below is an example of his favorite activity.

1644284245141.jpeg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, this is good to know. Indeed the end is open.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sometimes the gutter and downspout size can be increased to let the roof drain properly. I’m sure you’re aware of this but I figured I would ask.
Hmmm. I had not considered this. I will have to look to see how much coverage we have. There is a gutter right next to where the leak was and I checked it during that storm and it was draining fine.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Our current dog - Japanese Chin - hardly pays any attention to any wildlife except for coyotes when they were around. So, I end up trapping the squirrels because he won't chase them. Below is an example of his favorite activity.

View attachment 185058
Haha. A friend has a German Wirehair hunting dog and it trembles severely with excitement when a squirrel is in visual range. It wants to kill. The first time I saw it happening I was amazed. Apparently this is part of the breed. It ignored small birds though. It simply has better things to do apparently.

Top Bottom