• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Get some forum members over to man the pumps , a king dosnt lift himself aloft ffs. I'm sure there's enough hot-air here to blow everything dry
Well, since you left Thomas, the peasants have gotten smarter and no longer listen to their king! There are rumors even of throwing away Monarchy for some other kind of governance. I dread losing the castle, worshipping, etc....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yet another update. I though we were set by putting a bunch of stuff we salvaged in plastic bins after the first flood. Yesterday I moved some and was amazed how much water was locked under the plastic bins! So wife and I spent all day moving those bins around, drying under them and putting fans there (fortunately all on tile floor).

BTW, thank you to all of you for the continued well wishes, donations and support. It has lifted my spirits so much.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, since you left Thomas, the peasants have gotten smarter and no longer listen to their king! There are rumors even of throwing away Monarchy for some other kind of governance. I dread losing the castle, worshipping, etc....
There were problems with that even way back in time.:)

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Yet another update. I though we were set by putting a bunch of stuff we salvaged in plastic bins after the first flood. Yesterday I moved some and was amazed how much water was locked under the plastic bins! So wife and I spent all day moving those bins around, drying under them and putting fans there (fortunately all on tile floor).

BTW, thank you to all of you for the continued well wishes, donations and support. It has lifted my spirits so much.

Take your time. While we miss the daily reports you, your family and your life is the most important. Please take your time and look after yourselves.

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve never been happier to live on the second floor in my life. The downstairs flat flooded much the same way as yours this month, displacing my neighbor. I’ve had a look at what it takes to fix. Fans and pumps running constantly, a team each for recovery, packing and for construction. What a mess. I hope your situation is resolved quickly and life can get back to normal.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
This is very much how it was being a Microsoft customer in the early 90s ...

Over 300 likes, almost worth it !

Your on a incline , but a good deal above the lake , ìm kinda shocked your having these issues and really feel for you knowing what you went through getting it built in first place .

It's alien to me as a issue , its so unlikely to happen in the UK unless you have a very old build with historical issues . You just wouldn't get planning ime .

Get some forum members over to man the pumps , a king dosnt lift himself aloft ffs. I'm sure there's enough hot-air here to blow everything dry

X
Wow, the misfortunes of the King have brought the Lord and Sherriff out from under his rock! Or at least away from the pint for a post...

Hope you are doing well, Sir Thomas.

And of course hope you are over the hump, Amir.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very much how it was being a Microsoft customer in the early 90s ...

Over 300 likes, almost worth it !

Your on a incline , but a good deal above the lake , ìm kinda shocked your having these issues and really feel for you knowing what you went through getting it built in first place .

It's alien to me as a issue , its so unlikely to happen in the UK unless you have a very old build with historical issues . You just wouldn't get planning ime .

X

Hopefully his new moat will keep the castle dry!

ADU

Major Contributor

Very sorry to hear about the difficulties you and your family have been contending with recently, Amir. And I hope, like many others here, that things will improve for you soon. Your contributions to many of the discussions here have been missed.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The world is still conspiring to get us down....
Wow, the only scientific explanation that makes sense (we are on the ASR forum after all) is gremlins or a poltergeist.
So to solve the problem, you need either Gizmo Rambo or the Ghostbusters.

1643551323320.png
1643551359803.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@amirm Been another week, hopefully things have improved? I imagine full recovery and repair will take a while. More importantly, how's your wife?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for caring and checking you all.

Let me start with the positive. Earlier this week my wife's mobility and situation improved substantially. She is able to walk and move around with little pain. This means she can help with a lot of house chores and such without needing me. So great on both fronts.

On dealing with the water, I spent probably 100 hours watching youtube videos on pumps and systems for the catch basin the contractor put in and then ran away. Got all the parts from Amazon and half a dozen trip to local stores to buy piping for both the pump and conduit to run electricity (the contractor ripped apart the one that was already there :) ). Spent a few days running and attaching everything. It was all working yesterday.

Today I went to check on it and the pump is working. But the water does not come out where it is supposed to (some 200 feet over using 4 inch drain pipe)! Put in a hose and ran it for 15 minutes. Nothing ever comes out even though I hear it drain easily half way to where it is supposed to come out. Took out my various snakes and augers and they would all get stuck half way into the pipe. Not sure if it is the lousy quality of the tools I have or there is real blockage which these lightweight tools can't handle.

So back to amazon today to buy an sewer inspection camera. Set me back $450 but figure that is what it would cost to get a plumber to come and scope it. Wanted to buy an electric auger to clean the pipe but can't decide what to get. And what I can get from Amazon for some reason takes a week to get here!

Worst case situation is a crushed pipe some place. It is PVC so I don't think roots have gotten in there. But who knows if there is a break in there.

If anyone has a recommendation for an electric auger, let me know. The battery operated Ryobi one I have is just too weak. Only one in stock that I can buy is from Rigid but there is a lot of complaints about its quality. The commercial quality ones seem to go for $3,000 which wouldn't make sense. I guess I can rent one.

Finally, discovered that the sump basin has holed all the way at the bottom. What this does is that it allows water that is collected to seep out, not in! When the pump runs, right when it dries the basin and shuts off, water gushes in from those holes. This will in turn cause the pump to cycle more I imagine. I would have thought that weeping holes should have been put higher. This sump basin is 7 foot high by the way and is already surrounded by tons of gravel. If it has to come out to fix the holes, it will be hell!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Let me start with the positive. Earlier this week my wife's mobility and situation improved substantially. She is able to walk and move around with little pain. This means she can help with a lot of house chores and such without needing me. So great on both fronts.

On dealing with the water, I spent probably 100 hours watching youtube videos on pumps and systems for the catch basin the contractor put in and then ran away. Got all the parts from Amazon and half a dozen trip to local stores to buy piping for both the pump and conduit to run electricity (the contractor ripped apart the one that was already there :) ). Spent a few days running and attaching everything. It was all working yesterday.

Today I went to check on it and the pump is working. But the water does not come out where it is supposed to (some 200 feet over using 4 inch drain pipe)! Put in a hose and ran it for 15 minutes. Nothing ever comes out even though I hear it drain easily half way to where it is supposed to come out. Took out my various snakes and augers and they would all get stuck half way into the pipe. Not sure if it is the lousy quality of the tools I have or there is real blockage which these lightweight tools can't handle.

So back to amazon today to buy an sewer inspection camera. Set me back $450 but figure that is what it would cost to get a plumber to come and scope it. Wanted to buy an electric auger to clean the pipe but can't decide what to get. And what I can get from Amazon for some reason takes a week to get here!

Worst case situation is a crushed pipe some place. It is PVC so I don't think roots have gotten in there. But who knows if there is a break in there.

If anyone has a recommendation for an electric auger, let me know. The battery operated Ryobi one I have is just too weak. Only one in stock that I can buy is from Rigid but there is a lot of complaints about its quality. The commercial quality ones seem to go for $3,000 which wouldn't make sense. I guess I can rent one.

Finally, discovered that the sump basin has holed all the way at the bottom. What this does is that it allows water that is collected to seep out, not in! When the pump runs, right when it dries the basin and shuts off, water gushes in from those holes. This will in turn cause the pump to cycle more I imagine. I would have thought that weeping holes should have been put higher. This sump basin is 7 foot high by the way and is already surrounded by tons of gravel. If it has to come out to fix the holes, it will be hell!
My sympathies, but glad to learn you're doing a little better. I hope your homeowner's insurance is covering most of the costs of this disaster. When this is all finished you and the Mrs. should take a trip to a desert resort like Palm Springs for a few days just to feel you're on dry land again.

ayane

Forum Donor
Let me start with the positive. Earlier this week my wife's mobility and situation improved substantially. She is able to walk and move around with little pain.
I am so glad to hear this =)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

Amir - I just ran across this thread about your flooding mishap. Very sorry to hear about your wife's fall and the flooding. I hope your wife's recovery is rapid.

Regarding your question about sewer augers- I bought the prior version of this https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-3-8-in-dia-x-75-ft-L-Music-Wire-Machine-Auger/1001868182
many years ago. My version is not on a dolly so this one is much easier to move around. As long as 75 feet is enough it will do the job. The only gotcha make sure the cutter head is on tight - check before each use and you will be fine.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm remember to take breaks/rest periods so you don't get tired, injure yourself and don't get buried in some hole by collapsing gravel/dirt. Stuff happens so be very careful. If getting tired and or frustrated stand back, rest, have a personal moment, organize your thoughts and consider the plan before proceeding. There's a reason why people sometimes see workers/laborers standing around looking at the task at hand and seemingly they are not busy. A nice beverage break is always good to slow things down if they start going too fast. Be careful... I've done a lot of construction, mechanical assembly work, sports and such and it's become obvious to me that when getting tired that's when accidents and stuff often happens. Even something as simple as a hacksaw can cut off a finger in a fraction of a second. So watch out for yourself.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"Liked" but not really appropriate except for your wife's improved condition.

I wonder if the 200' drain pipe was not properly sloped, allowing whatever grunge and muck the pump picks up to collect in a low spot? That would suck... In the primordial past I had to dig up a sewer line from septic tank to leach field because of that. In that case the line had settled due to shifting soil over time. Insert usual "shi$$Y job" jokes here.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir, you can probably find a commercial plumber in the BlueBook who can scope the drain line for a few hundred dollars, and jet it as well if some debris is causing a blockage. Typical causes of a solid PVC storm drainage pipe not draining are 1) debris entered during installation, or 2) if the pipe was not properly properly bedded and covered (which could have led to a collapse during backfilling or when there was vehicle traffic over the trench).

This assumed they used the propper grade of pipe and it was installed with sealed joints.

This also assumes the perforated sections of the pipe were wrapped in filter fabric or covered with a fabric sock.

Top Bottom