• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400se Owner's Thread.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received the HIFIMAN 400SE headphones from Amazon, and fulfilled by Hifiman as the seller. The box was not sealed ( the tape on the sides of the package was slit open ) and the seal was broken of the cellophane bag that contained the cable. I could not really determine if the headphones had been used or worn. I placed a call to HIFIMAN in New York and questioned them, but could not really explain why the seals would have been opened. They suggested I return the phones and try to get another pair.

My question is, has anyone received these headphones recently from Amazon with the seals broken.

Naturally, I am sending the headphones back to Amazon and am not happy.

Thanks for reading.
I've ordered about 8 units of headphones through Amazon (not Hifiman headphones) and they've all arrived pristine - as in seals in place, etc. So that is unusual. I'd try to see if Amazon can get a replacement sorted out for you.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a quick follow up to my previous post regarding the ear cup size and comfort compared to Sennheiser HD598/599.

The ear cup diameter on the HE400se is a lil bit too small for my liking. I don't have symmetrical ears (right ear shape is inherited from my mother's side and left is from my father's side).

So my left ear's earlobe gets constantly squeezed under the pad which causes mild annoyance and discomfort when wearing these headphones. On the other hand my right ear sits (or rather feels) perfectly fine. I really can't explain what is different as my ears are not *that* different.

People said that (for them) the ear cups on the HE400se are plenty enough, for me this sadly isn't the case and the shape/size of the Sennheiser cups is perfect for me.

Note. The annoyance/"discomfort" isn't big enough to make me send these back, maybe just limit longer listening sessions.

I also notice the weight difference and the HE400se also make my ears feel hotter than while using the Sennheisers. I'm sure my head/neck will get used to the extra weight, will have to see if the heat is going to become a problem or is it also just something I need to get used to.

Besides those little issues I'm loving the HE400se! A clear upgrade from the HD598/599
I'm not that surprised by your experience of the earcup size of the HE400se, it looks almost the same dimensions as my HE4XX, and my ears fit perfectly inside there (as in no room to spare), and I don't have big ears, so I'm not surprised that for some folks there ears may not be able to fit all the way inside. Here's pic of HE400se vs HE4XX to show size of earcups & pads probably the same or very similar:
HE400se.jpgHE4XX.jpg

Sennheiser HD560s has been the most spacious earcup for my ears so far out of my headphones. I would say the K702 too, but they sell them now with thinner pads so I do feel my ears brush against the drivers on the new K702.

ppunter2015

Hi all, just received my he400se the other day. Bought it as a replacement for a beyer dt880 i had. Cat chewed on the cable and poof, gone was the 880. Salvaged some parts for my dt770. I am no good at soldering with anything but superglue so..could not fix it with a different wire. So time for something else, a planar. I would have bought the Sundara if it was not for the headband which i do not like. Also reading all those great reviews and measurements here on asr helped me to decide to go for the he400se.
Sounds awesome. Good buy. Unfortunately i got the "older" model so i am thinking of hart audio for a nicer looking cable to replace that flimsy one that came in the box.
What cable do you use as a replacement?

dante21

Hi all, just received my he400se the other day. Bought it as a replacement for a beyer dt880 i had. Cat chewed on the cable and poof, gone was the 880. Salvaged some parts for my dt770. I am no good at soldering with anything but superglue so..could not fix it with a different wire. So time for something else, a planar. I would have bought the Sundara if it was not for the headband which i do not like. Also reading all those great reviews and measurements here on asr helped me to decide to go for the he400se.
Sounds awesome. Good buy. Unfortunately i got the "older" model so i am thinking of hart audio for a nicer looking cable to replace that flimsy one that came in the box.
What cable do you use as a replacement?

don't spend 50 or more on a 150 headphone

FreaK

Hello!
I want to buy a HE400Se, i have two question to that:

1: Is it worth buying a refurbished one for 130EUR, instead of a new one for 150EUR+10-15 for shipping?
2: Is there a 2020 version (or newer revision) of the headphone, or its just one version?

+1: is worth going for the 560v4 instead?

Last edited:
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
I want to buy a HE400Se, i have two question to that:

1: Is it worth buying a refurbished one for 130EUR, instead of a new one for 150EUR+10-15 for shipping?
2: Is there a 2020 version (or newer revision) of the headphone, or its just one version?

+1: is worth going for the 560v4 instead?
If you're looking for an inexpensive planar, then the HE400se fits the bill better than the 560v4. Buying these refurbished shouldn't be bad as long as you're purchasing it directly from Hifiman.

ppunter2015

Just got the cable you mentioned from amazon. Finally no more microphonics. Pheww. Thanks
Now back to enjoying my planars :)

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These headphones are currently on sale at Hifiman for $109, brand new.

He400se

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, but the shipping is 40 something in Europe

not worth it
Yea, that's really unfortunate that shipping costs so much right now.

Merkurio

yeah, but the shipping is 40 something in Europe

not worth it

That's basically MSRP price with free shipping, not to bad IMO.

In fact, that's what I paid for shipping and import fees to Mexico (from Amazon) and it still seems like a really good deal ($142).

Mine are on their way today, I hope to receive them soon. :D

Martinvb

Got one too since a few days. What an incredible sounding headphone, I’m also very happy with it. Was surprised that the manual mentioned it needs 150 h to break in: thought that was a urban myth. It does seem to be a bit fragile, I can imagine that if you drop it or pick it up the wrong way with a firm grip, these tiny magnets in this grid array could get squashed easily. Never mind, it’s the sound that blows all these concerns easily away.

ppunter2015

If you take care and give your gear what it needs, it takes care of you and gives you what you need

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got one too since a few days. What an incredible sounding headphone, I’m also very happy with it. Was surprised that the manual mentioned it needs 150 h to break in: thought that was a urban myth. It does seem to be a bit fragile, I can imagine that if you drop it or pick it up the wrong way with a firm grip, these tiny magnets in this grid array could get squashed easily. Never mind, it’s the sound that blows all these concerns easily away.
I think that is an urban myth on some levels, it's unlikely that the drivers will change their properties over that time, but the headband may loosen up over that time & reduce it's clamping pressure, and the pads may become slightly more compressed or moulded to the shape of your head.....but most significantly your brain will become psychologically burned-in to the new sound (it will get used to it & normalise it), it's probably a way of reducing returns because they're aware of these factors, and on a genuine level (from their viewpoint) you would have to go through that process if you were previously used to strangely toned headphones anyway (or conversely if you were going from a properly toned headphone to a strange-toned headphone.....headphones are funny things, I think it's easier to normalise strange frequency responses in headphones than it is to accept weird frequency responses in speakers......might have something to do with the fact that speakers interact with your room and perhaps you therefore know how real actual sounds will sound in your room & therefore you expect them to sound that way too, whereas listening to headphones can be like accepting you're gonna be listening in some kind of other random room determined by the headphone & music alone!).

Chester

In case it helps anyone else, I bought a pair of HE400SE’s as a Christmas present to myself in December. I have a few good headphones so wasn’t expecting much for the price, just something to keep me busy over the Christmas period. Long story short, I was so impressed by them, I ordered the Sundara.

On my head, with my ears, the Sundara were not as good. Everything was less. It’s odd as people seem to love the Sundara. Just another reminder that higher cost doesn’t always equate to higher performance.

In case the upgrade bug kicks in, bear in mind.

And if you have the Sundaras and think I’m completely wrong, good for you. This is merely my experience I’m sharing, to save others who are obsessive upgrader’s like myself.

Top Bottom