• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 375 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

beagleman

Major Contributor
I think maybe what he wears and talks about is actually his real stance on the subjects, but he still sells those audio things anyway because he makes good money from it so he does not want to straightforward.
I've told this story before, perhaps even on this forum:

Back when I was young and a new salesman in electronics and audio, Certain brands, Certain accessories, and of course ALL (Big name brand) connectors and speaker cables, made my largest profits in commission.

Did I like Bose and Monster Cable?
Did I like the 10% commission and the Mail in quarterly rewards when I went over a certain sales level...........Hell yeah!

Then a few years later, "Audiophool" cables and speaker wires, were a HUGE HUGE motivator.

Do salesmen really like this stuff?? I did not, but it was all about money back then. It was exciting to get so much for a few minutes of work at times, or simply standing around while some fool listened to "Dark side of the moon", or "Crime of the Century" or "Aja"

DanielT

Major Contributor
It seems rather ironic in a way that Danny wears this calling people that know his cable is a waste of money flat earthers and party poopers?

View attachment 218115

... while trying to sell this phool cable.

JSmith

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Danny Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems that as long as someone believes an ‘upgrade’ (of anything conceivable) will make a difference, then their sighted audition of it will surely make a difference.

So, logically, to have a market success you need to visibly make the appeal assure that audition’s success (the cables gotta be fat), and then all you need is some techno-babble and an air of confidence!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Seems that as long as someone believes an ‘upgrade’ (of anything conceivable) will make a difference, then their sighted audition of it will surely make a difference.

So, logically, to have a market success you need to visibly make the appeal assure that audition’s success (the cables gotta be fat), and then all you need is some techno-babble and an air of confidence!

You got it! Thats why cable lifters are needet! Than you can SEE it even better. ;)

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I've said it before, and I say it again: if the power supply in your audio equipment is well and properly designed and functioning, you shouldn't need to fret over the power cord and house wiring issues.

Don't chase ghosts. Spend the money on room treatment, recordings, or getting your ears cleaned out. Don't abide hifi panhandlers and tinkers. Don't be a hifi mark for the hifi carnies.

Oh, and don't waste your time meticulously testing claims that are patently untrue to a casual observer. :)

Everett T

Forum Donor
I've said it before, and I say it again: if the power supply in your audio equipment is well and properly designed and functioning, you shouldn't need to fret over the power cord and house wiring issues.

Don't chase ghosts. Spend the money on room treatment, recordings, or getting your ears cleaned out. Don't abide hifi panhandlers and tinkers. Don't be a hifi mark for the hifi carnies.

Oh, and don't waste your time meticulously testing claims that are patently untrue to a casual observer. :)
Every appliance in our homes are designed with that in mind (thankfully) and the only thing I'd ever do is update and upgrade the wiring from inside to the pole. No audible benefit, just overbuilt peace of mind :D.

Azathoth

I was conned by a friend to buy his expensive power cables because it will help with the sound of my audio gear. It was the power cord for my laptop's power brick. Bought 100$ of it for a meter I think, and at the time I felt that it made a difference. Our brains aren't really geared for these kinds of differences, but our imagination makes up for it I guess. Well actually the pitfalls of our perception and memory really.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've told this story before, perhaps even on this forum:

Back when I was young and a new salesman in electronics and audio, Certain brands, Certain accessories, and of course ALL (Big name brand) connectors and speaker cables, made my largest profits in commission.

Did I like Bose and Monster Cable?
Did I like the 10% commission and the Mail in quarterly rewards when I went over a certain sales level...........Hell yeah!

Then a few years later, "Audiophool" cables and speaker wires, were a HUGE HUGE motivator.

Do salesmen really like this stuff?? I did not, but it was all about money back then. It was exciting to get so much for a few minutes of work at times, or simply standing around while some fool listened to "Dark side of the moon", or "Crime of the Century" or "Aja"
Not me. If customers where pondering spending another ~$100 or ~$300 on cabling then I upsold them on demonstrable improvements like a speaker upgrade. It meant another hour or more in the sound room but I felt better and the customers became loyal customers after seeing the light of my recommendation. Cabling and huge speaker wire was not a demonstrable improvement so I sold them 18G or 16G for small systems and 14G for the better systems. We never had 12G at that time. Monster Cable RCA cables where just coming into being and I compared them to run of the mill basic quality RCA's and there was no difference in the 3' and 6' lengths. For big power amps and pre-amps if they wanted a Monster RCA I sold them one on the basis of integrity of connection. There was plenty of commission in speakers even if not as much as cabling but that was enough for me. I was selling with the intention in mind of being in the same location for several years or more and developing a loyal customer base and cables just wasn't in my business plan.

anphex

Forum Donor
Oh I can't wait to see the replies and meltdowns of the manufacturers and voodooists.

CapMan

Major Contributor
You need to rewind forty years sir - in the 80's, removing fuses was a usual tweak, having dedicated mains spurs done using 15A 'round pin unfused' mains plugs commonplace
Thanks for the salutation - I don’t get that much respect at home !!

I did the dedicated mains and 15 Amp sockets 20 odd years ago - tore up floor boards to run 32Amp cables, all in the Naim (?) of improvements.

Feeling a little silly about that right now :(

Imagine how expectation bias works when you’ve spent a day watching a sparky (electrician) pulling your house apart :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was conned by a friend to buy his expensive power cables because it will help with the sound of my audio gear. It was the power cord for my laptop's power brick. Bought 100$ of it for a meter I think
Some friends you have ;)

DualTriode

Are you sure you can just overlay the curves like this?
As we know we can't red off exact levels from the fft plot because of fft gain and Scalloping loss window function an so on...

I agree.
Are you sure you can just overlay the curves like this?
As we know we can't red off exact levels from the fft plot because of fft gain and Scalloping loss window function an so on...

I agree.

No, you can't just overlay the curves like this.

Level (dBrA) is measured with a volt meter.

Threshold of hearing is measured on a SPL scale with a calibrated microphone.

We are talking apples and oranges.

GR Research B24 Power Cable vs Generic Noise Pick up Transformer.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I barely skimmed this thread (because, why?) but in general think testing a large-low-resistance cord would be best done using a power amp and high output than a preamp (maybe I missed something, sorry).

That is NOT an argument in favor of spending $349 on a power cord.

You could clamp a ferrite choke around any cable, and/or buy a shielded one, to obtain similar noise reduction. So long as you are willing to ignore all the wiring up to that power cable, which as we all know may be the "last thing in the chain from the power company, but is the first thing your component sees"... Gotta' love that argument; so true, and so irrelevant. Textbook marketing.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I barely skimmed this thread (because, why?) but in general think testing a large-low-resistance cord would be best done using a power amp and high output than a preamp (maybe I missed something, sorry).

Why you should do this? If you have 40m of cabels in the wall with high resistence, what should than the last meter with lower resistance change? Do the math, no need for tests. Ohms law is well established.

beagleman

Major Contributor

You could clamp a ferrite choke around any cable, and/or buy a shielded one, to obtain similar noise reduction. So long as you are willing to ignore all the wiring up to that power cable, which as we all know may be the "last thing in the chain from the power company, but is the first thing your component sees"... Gotta' love that argument; so true, and so irrelevant. Textbook marketing.

I think there "Could" be more of a possibility of an improvement, in a high current draw device......BUT.....as to whether it would actually translate into anything audible, very questionable.

I could also emulate this, for a lot less, as far as the low resistance part for sure.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Oh I can't wait to see the replies and meltdowns of the manufacturers and voodooists.
But, having ridden this ride, many times, "They" will simply make excuses, or try to come up with reasons this is not a truly valid test or review.

There is never any proof or anything from their side, such as a blind test results.

A-Your system is not revealing enough
B-Your hearing is probably not acute enough
C-You do not know what to listen for
D-You do not believe,(or are against cables) so of course you will hear no change

Top Bottom