• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV123 / GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 281 93.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 335329
View attachment 335330
View attachment 335331
Any voice of reason or understanding must be removed from the circle. Thus sayeth the dicktater. DAC power cord hearers who can’t distinguish 12dB swings in FR have to keep their Circle Jerk free. That’s not a double entendre ;)

This entire thread has been quarantined by the AudioCircle admin. Supposedly it will be cleaned and reposted. GR is a sponsor circle so seems unlikely it gets impartial treatment! Would be pleasantly surprised if it did.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And like magic, the measurments appear on the store page:

With the very response errors we found:

in-room-10db-scale.jpg

Futility

Forum Donor
I got restricted and my posts deleted from Danny’s area just for simply asking for polar responses on his line forces. And explaining why polar responses are an essential aspect of modern measurement standards.
I'm a neophyte tester but I do own a couple of his line arrays. Given some guidance and tutoring I'll be willing to measure them.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got restricted and my posts deleted from Danny’s area just for simply asking for polar responses on his line forces. And explaining why polar responses are an essential aspect of modern measurement standards.

Sorry to hear but is pretty clear Danny only uses media platforms where he can control the discourse. So, not surprised in that respect.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DanTheMan

Well Gee Golly! Something's afoot (not an anatomy analogy). All the informative posts are gone that diagnose the actual problem, but he's going to do a crossover upgrade you can build yourself that will cost as much a a well designed speaker in the first place. He won't give you the values or fix all the defective products he sold, so only he can profit again from his errors. Car manufacturers should take note. It's a brilliant strategy. Design a defect and then charge you to fix it. Great guy. I wish we could get ahold of one, test it again and design a fix and offer up the knowhow for free.
Screen Shot 2023-12-24 at 11.11.53 PM.png

And don't worry, his crossover has fixed the 'floor bounce' issue:
Screen Shot 2023-12-24 at 11.34.14 PM.png

That guy is a swell guy. Just ignore the fact that the floor reflection will change at every distance....
Screen Shot 2023-12-24 at 11.38.34 PM.png

And don't forget that he's smarter than Amir...
I wonder if that 'possible cap failure' and 'incorrect wiring' had something to do with the 'floor reflection' problem. Hmmm, this is all too complex for the minds at ASR to sort out I'm afraid. Only the guy who created this calamity can right the course (for a small fee of course).

It's hard to imagine the mental gymnastics you have to do to fall for this guy's rhetoric.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the saga continues as the raw video for Danny's response is apparently corrupt.

Meanwhile he continues to deal with owner complaints privately. Reminds me of automotive industry's hidden warranty tactic.

TechLvr2

Wow. Just read this review / thread for the first time. When I first came across GR-Research I found myself engaged. Then with a further look I found his take on accessories, power cables etc. and that completely undermined any validity he had for me. That was long before I read this.

This review and thread has been an interesting read. In my opinion and experience, If you have a good product then transparency is your friend. You do not need to obfuscate, deny, misdirect and all the other things you see GR-Research doing. Perhaps he originally started because of a genuine desire to improve what he perceived of as flaws in products he purchased. He now just comes across as unknowledgeable, incompetent and defensive.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Classic Danny diversion. To avoid giving him more hits, here is the summary of this 44 minute video.

1. 38 minutes of how great these speakers are and how he has improved them.
  2. At around 38 minute mark he circles back to Amir's review and, despite other posts verifying the same bass issues, goes back to claiming that the DUT was old and mis-wired. However, makes an offer to current owners to get upgraded crossovers for just the cost of new parts.
  3. Before wrapping up he goes on to pull the Subjectivist vs Objectivist card and stating that ASR members are only interested in measurements and do not value soundstage or layering or taking your system to the next level. Of course, only his unproven tweaks are the path to these "intangible" benefits.
Hope I save some of you a good part of an hour that you can enjoy some music listening rather than this video. ;)

Last edited:

DanTheMan

Let me just say that I am openly baffled (not to be punny) when I read the words of his followers. He obviously lied about the busted cap as every one of this line that has been measured has had the same problem. For the same reason it is obvious that he lied about the crossed wiring. He lied about the floor bounce being fixed in the new crossover and even that it was ‘the’ problem. That’s literally impossible. He pretends he doesn’t know Amir’s or ASR’s names which are obvious lies and he continues to try and say that Amir is stupid because he doesn’t understand the manner that the screen over the top of this speaker he designed distorts the output. It’s all malarkey. If he knew it was going to be a problem and how it was going to be a problem, he shouldn’t have allowed it to be used in the first place. Everyone who bought these speakers and measured them did so because they heard the something wrong with this cap/wire hearing (which have never been heard reliably in blind listening tests) guru missed, and yet somehow people keep following and defending him with fever when he had the option to just be honest and admit it was a bad design and poor design choice that were missed. He could have just displayed some integrity, been honest, and apologized for his errors and made it right. He’s known about this problem long before Amir exposed it. It took me less that an hour of interacting with this guy over a decade ago to understand that there was no way he would ever get a dime from me because it was obvious that he was either a liar and/or an idiot. How does he still have people on his side? I just can’t get it. We’ve exposed all this stuff here and obviously a lot of his followers have read it. Every “defense” attempt he’s made has been an obvious lie or an attack on someone else’s intellect—someone who’s far more accomplished in the field than he is. I’m glad I don’t know how he does it. I’d probably use that knowledge for something far more devious than swindling people out of their money for underperforming, overpriced audio gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I watched the video. Got a kick out of him saying there was a floor bounce at 120 Hz and then later in the video says everything is omnidirectional up to a few hundred hertz!

Someone who took a shot at us at the start, went on to tell him it was bad form to pretend he doesn't know who we are. It got 17 responses but now the whole thing is gone. You have to have next to zero common sense to remove a comment like that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That body language... Also, have you noticed his blurb about doing some anechoic tests during original AV123 speaker design?!
I did. He claimed somewhere he had an anechoic chamber. I believe that when cows start flying....

DanTheMan

I did. He claimed somewhere he had an anechoic chamber. I believe that when cows start flying....
He used to claim he had an anechoic chamber in a shed… Must have been an impressive shed! Much better than those ones at Home Depot LOL. He said that it ‘wasn’t useful’ for speaker design—likely true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom