• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Honestly have great disdain for Darko primarily from this, he is paid to advertise snake oil and deceive consumers. I used to watch his videos for entertainment, just hear what he had to say and never took it to heart. The moment I saw the add at the start of his videos I was like im never watching this guy again LOL

Also, not to create a poop storm. @amirm your input would be great on this too, since you definitely understand this Edit: or anyone frankly, there's plenty of educated people here. That guy andialog or whatever on youtube had posted something on this I guess indian professor who is an audiophile who was testing what can be a difference on cables. He was talking some bs about time domain being the factor and that all the measurements are basically useless, cap, induc, resist, etc.

Anyone got any feedback about how that's bs too? My personal take on it is how could such a short cable make a difference like that, that's what logic tells me. I also this was in regard to interconnects only

Milind N. Kunchur is the researchers name

Two thoughts:

1. That claim isn't relevant when considering the claims of cable manufacturers that their cables reduce noise or reduce distortion. Those can be tested by testing... noise and distortion! And there's rarely any diffence, and never a difference that rises to audible.

2. I'm not an expert in this area but I believe timing matters become an issue at very long lengths, but when you're talking about the 1-5 metre lengths we're all using with our audio equipment, it's a complete non-factor.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
USB 3.0 (now called 3.1, and 3.1 is now called 3.2, with varying types) has one of the worst naming conventions of all time and is super confusing:

"USB 3.0 arrived with the ability to transfer data at 5 gigabits per second, or 5Gbps. But when the USB-IF doubled that to 10Gbps, it renamed USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and called the faster version USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Now we're getting another speed doubling and name change: USB 3.2 Gen 1 is 5Gbps, USB 3.2 Gen 2 is 10Gbps, and USB Gen 2x2 is 20Gbps. The much older USB 2.0, at 480Mbps, hasn't changed names."
They should just rename the USB 3.x prototocols as:

"'kin fast"
"'kin really really fast"

and

"What? are you 'kin kidding me?"

:p

lc6

It is stunning lapse by the peer review board of AES. FYI I wrote a few comments post publication of the paper. They deleted all three claiming I should just get on a conference call to discuss them with the writer of the paper! When I tried to complain, the email bounced to the said AES forum moderator!

The peer reviewers probably focused more on the fairly sophisticated statistical methodology and analysis the author employed rather than truly understanding the implications of the experimental setup. Logically, there would be no need (other than for, say, mechanical compatibility reasons) for the differential XLR interface if its performance was identical to that of the single-ended RCA. But it seems the author has little understanding of practical matters; e.g. as illustrated by this statement:
"The frequency response of this measurement chain was flat (±3 dB) from 4 Hz to 120 kHz."
So he considers a 6 dB variation of no consequence, whereas it is well known that listeners can detect level changes as small as 0.4 dB in broadband noise and 1-2 dB in sinewaves.

Now, he was careful to state that
"[...] the present work was able to prove through direct psychoacoustic testing that two different analog-interconnect pathways can be audibly distinguished."
where a "pathway" was not limited to only different cables but also included what he called "topology." But based on some comments, the results were taken by the "subjie" crowd to mean that, yes indeed, cables result in scientifically verified audible differences.

ctbarker32

In this day of MoFiGate and other revelations, should not the Audiophile product purveyors (Hardware, Software, etc.) such as Audioquest be held accountable for the nonsense they have been peddling for decades by misleading and lying to their customers? If a given product can be tested and documented in a repeatable and scientific manner to not have any of the attributes that the Manufacturer claims, shouldn't they be held accountable just as MoFi is now under the gun wih a Class Action lawsuit for their years of deception?

MoFiGate may have long term ramifications for the Audiophile world beyond just the fussy Vinyl collectors that are affected.

"scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight"

Nicky991

We don't need no stinking tests. We all have bs detectors. I went to the Audioquest website, and right away I went to DEFCON5.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The peer reviewers probably focused more on the fairly sophisticated statistical methodology and analysis the author employed rather than truly understanding the implications of the experimental setup. Logically, there would be no need (other than for, say, mechanical compatibility reasons) for the differential XLR interface if its performance was identical to that of the single-ended RCA. But it seems the author has little understanding of practical matters; e.g. as illustrated by this statement:
"The frequency response of this measurement chain was flat (±3 dB) from 4 Hz to 120 kHz."
So he considers a 6 dB variation of no consequence, whereas it is well known that listeners can detect level changes as small as 0.4 dB in broadband noise and 1-2 dB in sinewaves.

Now, he was careful to state that
"[...] the present work was able to prove through direct psychoacoustic testing that two different analog-interconnect pathways can be audibly distinguished."
where a "pathway" was not limited to only different cables but also included what he called "topology." But based on some comments, the results were taken by the "subjie" crowd to mean that, yes indeed, cables result in scientifically verified audible differences.
In multiple places in his paper he implies any difference is due to cables. This is what I commented on in the aes forum only to have it deleted.

DMill

Forum Donor
In this day of MoFiGate and other revelations, should not the Audiophile product purveyors (Hardware, Software, etc.) such as Audioquest be held accountable for the nonsense they have been peddling for decades by misleading and lying to their customers? If a given product can be tested and documented in a repeatable and scientific manner to not have any of the attributes that the Manufacturer claims, shouldn't they be held accountable just as MoFi is now under the gun wih a Class Action lawsuit for their years of deception?

MoFiGate may have long term ramifications for the Audiophile world beyond just the fussy Vinyl collectors that are affected.

"scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight"
I think it is a very slippery slope. It is fine to charge X$ for a product, it is not a governing body to decide these things. You want $5k cable then go ahead. Or a $20k DAC fine go ahead. We can show these things to be no better through science. But at the end of the day it’s a consumer choice and they should weed out “snake oil”. I’ve seen people compare medical goods /services in other posts and think it’s not even close to a fair comparison. Audio is a luxury product. We aren’t saving lives with a few SINAD. You want a $100k turntable go ahead, I bet it looks awesome.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not related to micro USB directly, but I find myself continually replacing USB-C cables. They seem to fail at an unreasonable frequency, plus I tend to lose the darn things. Maybe, like sunglasses, if I paid more for a "premium" brand, I'd hold onto them longer.

confucius_zero

Can this cable be tested on devices that have weaker USB ports?

BALKAN_RAKIA

if you cut bassy AQ cable, soundstagey AQ cable and detaily AQ cable and combine them into one is this the best cable in the world because it will have all the marketing properties? I match warm sounding power conditioner with cold sounding cables to sound neutral.

JSmith

Master Contributor

Palladium

I have semi-decent active speakers (Creative Pebble V2) for less than $41. :D

SuicideSquid

I think it is a very slippery slope. It is fine to charge X$ for a product, it is not a governing body to decide these things. You want $5k cable then go ahead. Or a $20k DAC fine go ahead. We can show these things to be no better through science. But at the end of the day it’s a consumer choice and they should weed out “snake oil”. I’ve seen people compare medical goods /services in other posts and think it’s not even close to a fair comparison. Audio is a luxury product. We aren’t saving lives with a few SINAD. You want a $100k turntable go ahead, I bet it looks awesome.
There is something immoral in spending money so frivolously. If you care so little about your money, buy a $20 cable and give $4980 to charity.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And that's why the ASR voting system is childish, pointless and a complete waste of space. You voted 'waste of money' because of the brand name! How is that remotely objective, scientific or facts based?

The cable works perfectly, does the job and doesn't cost a fortune.

Good point.

The community voting system isn’t really useful and actually does damage IMO to the ASR ‘brand’. But I get it, Amir wants member engagement. It’s a tough line to tread.
So you support fraudioquest, and why? They're a pox on audiophilia.

SuicideSquid

So you support fraudioquest, and why? They're a pox on audiophilia.

I can't quite figure out John's argument. $40 cable performs equal to $5 cable. That makes it a waste of $35. A waste of money. Just because it's not a waste of $500 doesn't mean it's not a waste of money.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't quite figure out John's argument. $40 cable performs equal to $5 cable. That makes it a waste of $35. A waste of money. Just because it's not a waste of $500 doesn't mean it's not a waste of money.
There are other factors than electrical performance USB cables for example are often plugged in and out of things and moved around etc , the same for cables used in studios and for instruments.

Good connectors and strain relief and other mechanical factors and also a nice look could make a price around 40$ not completely bonkers .

I don’t know how to test “ sturdiness “ of a cable . Look and feel can be deceiving. I honestly never had a usb cable that failed . Or a mouse or keyboard where the cable failed ? So how bad can you make them ?

I’m probably biased as an engineer I’m careful when I roll up cables to not make a knotty mess of them and always pull any cable by their connectors . I’m not just tugging the cable anywhere and shove them into my bags :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted fine since it works and is not expensive. I paid more for my Gotham SP/dif cable ($50) since I wanted one that will not fall apart after a while, fit and forget. Not a lot of money in the scheme of things. You don't want a cable going bad just when you want to listen to some music and a replacement will take a couple of days to arrive.

Had plenty of cables just fail, some were not cheap. Might be a better test to pull them apart and evaluate the construction standards. We all know they sound the same.

Ler0ck

I wish I can live in US then I will take my rig for Amirm to test all. They are McIntosh ma352 and Tannoy Prestige series loudspeakers

DanielT

Major Contributor
If someone made a line of cables immune to a cat biting through them, I'd definitely pay extra for that.

I've lost count of the number of headphone, mouse, USB and other cables that were irresistible to my cats.

A few recently victimized:

View attachment 223797
Have you tried anti-chew spray?

I don't know how effective something like that is. Long-acting? Although the cat may quickly learn to beware of the cables?

Or if it smells bad but they are supposed to be for indoor use so then it shouldn't smell bad, for us humans that is.:)

20220813_091238346.jpeg

Top Bottom