• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

SlothRock

Got my MA1 today and KH750 but won't be able to use the software until tomorrow. Hopefully no crashes and hopefully a fix soon!

SlothRock

Didn't realize it was gonna be so cumbersome to get the MA 1 working lol. The software is actually fine for me and didn't crash, but I didn't realize I needed an audio interface when I got it a couple days ago, so I ordered one. Then, when setting it up, I didn't realize the audio interface needed to have the proper outputs to connect to the inputs of the KH 750 sub, so need to return the one I got and order a new one + cables as well.

Should be able to get everything aligned tomorrow - better be worth the hassle! :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mine still crashing with macOS Ventura. Still waiting for Neumann to respond to my email request.

Unfit4it

Do you guys tweak your FR graph post measurement at all? I find the bass to be a little too overpowering when listening to certain tracks, not sure whether it has to do with how said tracks were originally produced/mastered or whether my small, albeit treated, room is struggling with the KH750s bass reproduction.

Last edited:

SlothRock

Just got everything measured and ready to go. Definitely a marked improvement over having everything full analog. The subwoofer is integrated much more seamlessly into the sound. When it was full analog I could hear the crossover very distinctly and it was pretty distracting - bass was also pretty boomy. After the MA 1 the subwoofer melds into the over all sound much smoother, but still rumbles when the song actually calls for it.

Also can tell that the volume matching on the monitors is way more precise over all and that the highs became more prominent in a good way. Definitely glad I went through the trouble of the setup - worth it.

SlothRock

One question for folks here that are MA 1 pros:

If your monitors are DSP & you have the KH 750, do you NEED to connect all 3 speakers to internet to run the alignment or can it all run through the one connection with the subwoofer like it is for active speakers? Is there any reason/benefit to connect all 3 speakers if it's not necessary?

audafreak

Do you guys tweak your FR graph post measurement at all? I find the bass to be a little too overpowering when listening to certain tracks, not sure whether it has to do with how said tracks were originally produced/mastered or whether my small, albeit treated, room is struggling with the KH750s bass reproduction.
Yes, I usually raise bass a bit via low shelf. I like it.

audafreak

One question for folks here that are MA 1 pros:

If your monitors are DSP & you have the KH 750, do you NEED to connect all 3 speakers to internet to run the alignment or can it all run through the one connection with the subwoofer like it is for active speakers? Is there any reason/benefit to connect all 3 speakers if it's not necessary?
With KH750
- if your L/R monitors are ANY analog ones then only sub is connected to LAN and in MA1 sw select appropriate analog monitors for L/R manually
- if your L/R monitors are DSP (KH80,KH150) then all must by connected t LAN and and I think they are automatically selected in MA1 sw.
I hope I remember it correctly.

Connection to internet is not needed, only to your switch or router. IPv6 must be available in router settings. Connection is needed only for alignment process or if you want to change any setting. Otherwise not, you may disconnect it.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Connection to internet is not needed, only to your switch or router. IPv6 must be available in router settings.
Yes. And by the way: You don´t need a router to be involved, it works with just a switch, too (PC -> switch <- Monitors).

Yes, I usually raise bass a bit via low shelf. I like it.
I use to lower the bass a bit (about 2 db) via low shelf filter and in addition I use some bell curve filters to even out the bass response further. In the end I get a quite flat bass response. The MA-1 target curve for my room is +2 db below 80 Hz (which seems to be quite usual) and I tend to find it too bass heavy.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I received today an email from Neumann with the link to download 1.6.0.2625 Beta for macOS Ventura and finally the app does not crash after inputing the mic's serial number. I will perform calibration after the 25th and will report back if I find any issues with the Beta version of the app.

Unfit4it

I use to lower the bass a bit (about 2 db) via low shelf filter and in addition I use some bell curve filters to even out the bass response further. In the end I get a quite flat bass response. The MA-1 target curve for my room is +2 db below 80 Hz (which seems to be quite usual) and I tend to find it too bass heavy.
Could you please post a snapshot of your measurements? Im trying to figure how to flatten out the bass response in my room.
PXL_20221222_144631585.jpg

Last edited:
Could you please post a snapshot of your measurements? Im trying to figure how to flatten out the bass response in my room.View attachment 251712
My curve looks like attached - screenshot is already about a year old, done with an older version of MA-1. As said I tweaked the target curve to get a relative flat result in the bass.

Attachments

• actual - corrected w less highs.png
    actual - corrected w less highs.png
    562 KB · Views: 163

sanctified

HI all -- I hope you are well. I've just finished reading through all 34 pages as I look to prep my new space. I have the following hardware:

RME Fireface UFX II interface
Neumann KH750 + KH80 + MA1

Despite all the reading and scouring of Neumann technical documents, I haven't been able to come to terms with the level my RME interface should be set at when using the XLR outputs to the KH750. The RME technical data is as follows:

• Output: XLR, balanced
  • Output level switchable 24 dBu, Hi Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ 24 dBu: +24 dBu
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

What considerations do I need to make when selecting the proper level? I was using the 24 dBu setting and ran through a configuration. When it finished, I set the output level in the Neumann software to 83 db spl and went to play back material. The Neumann speaker safety controls kick in when I set my interface to 0dB -- so I'm making the assumption that despite the MA-1 software testing my signal chain and making it's adjustments -- something I've done is wrong.

Can anyone here shed some light on this subject for me? My ultimate goal is to keep as much headroom as possible when tracking/mixing/doing things in the DAW.

Appreciate any help you are able to provide!

Satureyes

I received today an email from Neumann with the link to download 1.6.0.2625 Beta for macOS Ventura and finally the app does not crash after inputing the mic's serial number. I will perform calibration after the 25th and will report back if I find any issues with the Beta version of the app.
Can you possibly send me the link too? I'm trying to get this all setup for a review deadline and no one of course will be around now in tech support for Neumann to send.

Happy to get Via PM.

RetconCat

Got a KH80 pair + MA1 kit, several technical issues getting things to connect initially, might just be my craptacular little ethernet switch I have them plugged into, but I have to say I'm REALLY impressed with the results of the calibration, these things are now the cleanest sounding system I've heard shy of some excessively priced things. I've ordered the KH750 to go with them. Hoping at some point Neumann adds more config options for things like surround monitoring, otherwise I may have to do some shenanigans with calibrating several pairs and using something else to make sure each pair is time aligned when I eventually build this out into 5.1 and maybe beyond.

Satureyes

Got a KH80 pair + MA1 kit, several technical issues getting things to connect initially, might just be my craptacular little ethernet switch I have them plugged into, but I have to say I'm REALLY impressed with the results of the calibration, these things are now the cleanest sounding system I've heard shy of some excessively priced things. I've ordered the KH750 to go with them. Hoping at some point Neumann adds more config options for things like surround monitoring, otherwise I may have to do some shenanigans with calibrating several pairs and using something else to make sure each pair is time aligned when I eventually build this out into 5.1 and maybe beyond.
Any hints as to help getting the app not to crash?

If you have this beta ma-1 software can you ping me a link to it pretty please ?

Top Bottom