• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 371 89.8%

• Total voters

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I apologize if this has been asked (and if so, would appreciate if someone can link me to it), but does anyone have thoughts on how Dirac Live compares to Neuman's room correction? Preferably including a KH 750 sub.

I have a Dirac-live equipped MiniDSP DDRC-24 and a UMIK-1 measurement mic and am thinking of grabbing the KH120 + KH750 setup. It would be nice to simplify my setup a little bit and just use the Neumann options, but I'm wondering how they compare. I had the KH120As many years ago and loved them, so if Dirac is the better option maybe I'll just get a used pair of those.
I would for sure go with MA1 in this case to get rid of this MiniDSP (which really has not great converters) and use the digital input of the neumanns if possible.
Both measurement programs work good.

namcheonbee

Hi,

Advancing in age guy here. Not up to date on the modern choices for speakers. Would the Neumann KH120 A or ii be suitable for me?
I want to downsize from multiple boxes. Wife says there are too many boxes, cables. From my point of view, there seems to be a bit of uncontrolled bass in my small living room.
I read a lot about room correction (although I don't really understand how it all works, but have read bass problems can be helped with 'room correction')?
My current set up is computer or CD player - Integrated Amp - RME ADI-2 DAC - Focal Electra 1008BE speakers.
I'm thinking Computer - RME ADI-2 DAC - Neumann KH120 A or ii
Listening distance is 2.5/3m. Room is 4.5mx4m, with an opening to the kitchen (1.5m)
I would also like to place the speakers on the ends of the TV/audio rack with isoacoustic isolation stands? (frees up even more space)

Would Neumann KH120 work? Neumann KH80 + subwoofer? Another brand?

Budget is around $2000 or perhaps a little or more higher if the right choice. Music usage mostly (rock, EDM, chill out, some classical), with TV on occasions.

Thanks for any thoughts.

IamJF

I would suggest at least KH120ii for your room and distance and when you need deeper bass just add 1-2 KH750 over time.
You can (and should?) use the digital input of these speakers and add a device for streaming and digital volume control. (WiiM would work but has no volume knob)

MA1 will help to adapt the speaker to your room - it can not SOLVE room problems but tame some of them. And you can add your custom EQ curve - when you want a few dB more Bass or a little fall off of the frequency response to get a warmer tone - just a few clicks.

boxerfan88

Listening distance is 2.5/3m. Room is 4.5mx4m, with an opening to the kitchen (1.5m)
I would also like to place the speakers on the ends of the TV/audio rack with isoacoustic isolation stands? (frees up even more space)

Would Neumann KH120 work? Neumann KH80 + subwoofer? Another brand?

I’d recommend to move up to at least a KH150. 3m is considered mid-field distance already.

For reference, I use the KH310 in a 4m x 4m room. Listening distance ~2.6m. The KH310 is just nice.

IamJF

I’d recommend to move up to at least a KH150. 3m is considered mid-field distance already.
I think KH120ii + KH750 gives more value as 2x KH150. It's simply a budget point of view.
KH150 is only a little louder as KH120ii and a little more narrow sound radiation -> better for wider distances but the difference is - little. Price difference is more as a little. So I would invest it towards a KH750.

isabido

I wanted to ask the users of MA1 and KH750

When you use a KH750 with speakers that do not have DSP, I understand that the entire filtering curve is made by the KH750 itself.

But what happens if we put it with some KH80DSP or these new KH120 II?

Does each one take care of their filtering? or continue doing all the filtering with the same KH750.

Thank you!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to ask the users of MA1 and KH750

When you use a KH750 with speakers that do not have DSP, I understand that the entire filtering curve is made by the KH750 itself.

But what happens if we put it with some KH80DSP or these new KH120 II?

Does each one take care of their filtering? or continue doing all the filtering with the same KH750.

Thank you!
When using DSP-speakers, each one takes care for themselves, AFAIK. Pretty sure i read that somewhere, but don't remember where.

Top Bottom